2023 Offseason thread

Emerica

15 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I wonder what we could get for Sieler in a trade. He's got 1 more year left and should be due for a heft raise in 2024. Maybe a 3rd round comp pick if he walks?

I don't know, he's kinda lowkey good to have a ton of value, imo - there's more value in just keeping him. He's a big part of what makes our DL good.

I'd rather try to shop Davis, who may get some undue interest as a former 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Wilkins and Seiler are #1 and #2 in defensive snaps played at the iDL position in the NFL.

Yeah they were both huge reasons for our good run D. You gotta keep that duo together for as long as they'll go

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:24 PM, Rgossett07 said:

Look for Miami to extend Wilkins this offseason.  They can make his base salary low and pay him guaranteed bonus money to spread the cap hit.  Doing this with guys who are young and the team is committed to is no issue.  Its the older guy that you break the bank for and sign for 4-5 years and he is only going to give you 2 great years where you get yourself in trouble.

Tyreek, Chubb and Ogbah will more than likely restructure to convert salary into bonus.  Save money by spreading.  Grier is actually one of the best in the league at this.  Miami is fine.  Don't read into media BS.  Austin Jackson and Iggy collectively will make >$8m this season.  That fully comes off the books for 2024.  Those two will not be coming back.  They will however need to make a decision between Raekwon Davis and Sieler at some point after 2023.  

I was looking for Miami to extend him last off season prior to exercising his 5th year option for the upcoming season.  Wilkins is probably looking for Johnathan Allen type money around $18 mil a year for 4 years ($72mil).

According to Spotrac, we are currently only committed to 27 player salaries in 2024, and we are only $40-$50 mil under the projected cap for that year.  With only 5 draft picks in each of the next two drafts that leaves a lot of roster spots to be filled through free agency, which isn't the cheap way to do it.  We could be looking at as many as 10 Undrafted Free Agents from the next two drafts to be on our Active Roster in 2024.  Very concerning!!!!

IMO we need to explore trading DE Ogbah, WR Wilson, and CB Jones for later round picks and cap space.

48 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I kinda hope not. I'd really prefer an external candidate.

Me too.  Sadly we missed out on Jim Schwartz, but Vic Fangio is still available, and so is Lovie Smith.

More likely candidates: Corey Undlin (49ers secondary coach).  Sean Desai (Seahawks assistant and Fangio disciple).  Denard Wilson (Eagles secondary coach).  Tony Oden (Jets secondary coach).  Anthony Weaver (Ravens D-Line coach).  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Me too.  Sadly we missed out on Jim Schwartz, but Vic Fangio is still available, and so is Lovie Smith.

More likely candidates: Corey Undlin (49ers secondary coach).  Sean Desai (Seahawks assistant and Fangio disciple).  Denard Wilson (Eagles secondary coach).  Tony Oden (Jets secondary coach).  Anthony Weaver (Ravens D-Line coach).  

Pretty similar list to the one i had in the DC thread, so yeah.

Fangio is obviously the dream.

• Like 1