2023 Offseason thread

Emerica

On 1/21/2023 at 8:48 AM, Tetsujin said:

I can’t get over the fact we selected Skylar instead of Brock. Selecting Brock could’ve changed the whole franchise.

I'm hoping McDaniels and Grier draft a QB every year.  Especially if you are going to go all in on Tua, you need depth at QB.  There is a few guys this year between 5-7 rounds to grab one.  People will say there are more needs, but depth at QB is a need for sure.  

• Like 4

Needs imo, in no particular order

Primary

TE - Need more production out of the position next season. Very good TE class this upcoming draft

OL (RT/LG) - I would consider moving Hunt to RT full time if we miss out on the good RTs in FA. 

RB - Open to re-signing both Wilson and Mostert but would like us to draft a young guy

CB - Howard took a step back this year,  ot sure if he’ll be back to being a true #1. Byron is as good as gone. Need to get younger and cheaper here

LB - Unit needs a rehaul imo. Would move on from Baker if it makes sense financially.

Secondary

S - Need more depth, also unsure if Jones is going to be a fit in Fangio D

WR - Need a reliable #3, can Ezukanma become that?

9 hours ago, Emerica said:

Primary

TE - Need more production out of the position next season. Very good TE class this upcoming draft

OL (RT/LG) - I would consider moving Hunt to RT full time if we miss out on the good RTs in FA. 

RB - Open to re-signing both Wilson and Mostert but would like us to draft a young guy

CB - Howard took a step back this year,  ot sure if he’ll be back to being a true #1. Byron is as good as gone. Need to get younger and cheaper here

LB - Unit needs a rehaul imo. Would move on from Baker if it makes sense financially.

Secondary

I'd list nose tackle as a lower primary need.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:55 PM, Emerica said:

Primary

Secondary

I agree with RT as a need, but Austin Jackson is still playing under his rookie contract in 2023 so it's not likely Grier will look hard to replace him.  Grier is going to want to give Jackson every chance possible to succeed since he drafted him at pick 18.  I think it is more likely we see a replacement at LG and Eichenberg becomes the backup RT so he has a shot to replace Jackson in 2024 when we don't pick up his 5th year option.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring back Brandon Shell to play RT, he is a solid run blocker with a PFF run block grade of 75.9 and would be available for cheap, possibly veteran minimum.

I would really like to see us replace Connor Williams at Center and move him to LG.  He played great at C last season with a PFF overall ranking of 4th best C in the league.  But his strength is run blocking with a PFF grade of 85.6, and that is the kind of LG we need next to Armstead to make our run game consistent.  Williams PFF grade at C would have made him the 4th best OG in the league with the 2nd best run blocking grade.

• 4 weeks later...

We gotta make moves to get under the cap by 3/15. We need to trim 13M to do it, then make other moves to sign a draft class & better the team.

Moves that could be made:

Ogbah Restructure

Baker trade

Wilson trade

Igby cut

Carter cut

Crossen cut

One unpopular move would be to trade Seiler. He’s got one year left on his contract and I don’t think he’s be a cheap to retain now, although I’ve read they’re working on a possible extension.(he’s a Rosenhaus client)

I would have to check the details, but doesn't it benefit Jones to make the Fins cut him?  I think it all ends up the same, with around $13.5 million saved in cap space after he's cut post-June 1st.  Probably the easiest cut on the team.

But you do have to feel for him.  A solid reminder that these guys are destroying their bodies for our entertainment.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 8:05 AM, hrubes20 said:

I would have to check the details, but doesn't it benefit Jones to make the Fins cut him?  I think it all ends up the same, with around $13.5 million saved in cap space after he's cut post-June 1st.  Probably the easiest cut on the team.

But you do have to feel for him.  A solid reminder that these guys are destroying their bodies for our entertainment.

Sorry man.  I cannot get on board with that sentiment.  We all have a choice to make.  He wanted to play football and makes millions.  No one held him hostage and MADE him play.  He chose this life and he knew what he was getting into.  Part of the reason these guys make the money they make and they get a pension starting in their 30s as opposed to most Americans that don't get it till their in their 50s and 60s.  

53 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

Sorry man.  I cannot get on board with that sentiment.  We all have a choice to make.  He wanted to play football and makes millions.  No one held him hostage and MADE him play.  He chose this life and he knew what he was getting into.  Part of the reason these guys make the money they make and they get a pension starting in their 30s as opposed to most Americans that don't get it till their in their 50s and 60s.  

Why are you acting like "getting compensated" and "destroying their bodies for our entertainment" are mutually exclusive? 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:54 AM, hrubes20 said:

Why are you acting like "getting compensated" and "destroying their bodies for our entertainment" are mutually exclusive? 

My take is they aren’t destroying their bodies for our entertainment, our entertainment is a byproduct. However, I agree their chosen profession takes a physical toll on them, as do many professions and just because it isn’t for our entertainment doesn’t mean we can’t exercise empathy.

I understand the enormous pressure the players are under to get out there and perform whether it is internal or external or both. I am of the opinion very few actually malinger, but I also believe that some push themselves and withhold injury information for fear of losing a starting spot or contract $. I do feel at least the players are being better protected from organizations pressuring them from playing injured especially with the newer/younger coaches versus old school mindsets. I don’t know anything about Byron Jones situation whether he was pressured to push himself or chose to on his own and has regrets about it and is looking to let off steam or blame some other factor. I think if he was able to, he would have been out there playing. I wish him well regardless and would hope if he chose to medically retire the organization would not seek to recoup the portioned signing bonus.