PLAYOFFS | Divisional | 1st Seed Eagles vs THE Jersey Bog Giants [Sat 8:15]

Kiltman

3 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

Yet Jalen Hurts looked bad against a mediocre defense in his first playoff game last year

This isn’t even true lol.

Bucs had just got as healthy on defense as they had been basically all year before that playoff game. They also were still 9th in defensive DVOA despite a bunch of injuries on that side last year. They weren’t as good last year on defense as they were in 2020 when they were 5th, but they were still upper third of the league and that was with most of those regular season weeks less healthy then they were against us in January.

16 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

The giants are a well coached mediocre team. They beat the vikings who were just a bad team and are now getting overhyped. The only 3 good NFC teams all year and the giants are playing this weekend. 

I'd say really well coached, but yeah, pretty much. Doesn't mean we can't steal a victory!

The main reason not to fear the Giants D even though they got some decent players back is that the Vikings just moved the ball easily in them. If Hurts is healthy which he should be, our offense will not be an issue. Goedert should absolutely dominate their LB’s and Safeties. 

I can’t see their OL having the same success vs our dominate pass rush. I don’t see their WRs getting many huge plays vs our pass D. They have to slow the game down and pound Saquon to win imo which is an uphill battle. 

Their best shot of winning is Hurts putting up a stinker which is why they are bringing that up. Obviously no one knows how healthy he is, but if he is playing I will believe he is good to go. The game will be closer than the prior one, but the Eagles should be able to take care of business. 

14 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

Yet Jalen Hurts looked bad against a mediocre defense in his first playoff game last year despite having better weapons... and now he's a franchise guy and an MVP candidate this year.

Jones is a franchise guy. It's not just because of Wild Card Weekend. He's lead the team all year in big moments. Several game winning drives and overcoming 4th quarter deficits. He's shown the arm talent, athleticism, and most important the leadership you want out of your franchise QB. 

The comparison you’re trying to draw with a 4th year Jones and a, what is essentially, a 2nd year Hurts is asinine. What you’re witnessing in Jones is what we witnessed in Hurts last year. If you wanted to say that maybe another year or two under Daboll will do wonders for him, I might buy it. Jones is rounding into form on what he’s going to be in this league. He’s not a franchise passer. He’s got legs to get him through but he’s going to have to rely less and less on them eventually. 

Having all the intangibles and questionable talent is Tim Tebow. Jones is far and away a better footballer than Tebow but Jones is not a franchise QB. Not yet anyway. May he get there next year? Quite possible if Daboll really endorses him and takes time developing him more but why in the hell would he tie his boat to Jones? The Giants are better off moving on from their QB and RB before they have to pay them $50M a year together. Let Daboll find his QB, groom him while cheap and start fresh. Waiting to see if Jones can turn the corner and take a mighty leap to franchise status while paying him $150M is exactly the decisions the Giants have made to put them in the current position they’re in. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

The comparison you’re trying to draw with a 4th year Jones and a, what is essentially, a 2nd year Hurts is asinine. What you’re witnessing in Jones is what we witnessed in Hurts last year. If you wanted to say that maybe another year or two under Daboll will do wonders for him, I might buy it. Jones is rounding into form on what he’s going to be in this league. He’s not a franchise passer. He’s got legs to get him through but he’s going to have to rely less and less on them eventually. 

Having all the intangibles and questionable talent is Tim Tebow. Jones is far and away a better footballer than Tebow but Jones is not a franchise QB. Not yet anyway. May he get there next year? Quite possible if Daboll really endorses him and takes time developing him more but why in the hell would he tie his boat to Jones? The Giants are better off moving on from their QB and RB before they have to pay them $50M a year together. Let Daboll find his QB, groom him while cheap and start fresh. Waiting to see if Jones can turn the corner and take a mighty leap to franchise status while paying him $150M is exactly the decisions the Giants have made to put them in the current position they’re in. 

It's not an apples to apples comparison. But if you're going to discredit Jones for playing great in his first playoff game, then you can't just ignore Hurts performance in his first playoff game. I understand it was year 4 vs year 2. But Hurts has clearly had a much better supporting cast and coaching around him - making it easier for him to perform and develop. Jones has had completely inept coaches and some of the worst passing weapons in the league to throw to in the last few years. I like Hurts a lot. He clearly has established himself as one of the top QBs in the league. But from my eyes, Jones has also shown that he is a franchise QB with his ability to carry the team.

I'm curious, what leads you to the conclusion that Jones isn't a franchise passer? Aside from the obvious arm strength and accuracy he display on the eye test; this year he led the league in Int rate (1.1%) and passes on target (81%). Yes, he wasn't airing the ball out a ton. But it doesn't make sense to when he is throwing to practice squad guys. His arm talent is pretty obvious when you watch him play. The biggest issue he had has with passing is his decision making. That hasn't been an issue this year. I could be wrong. But I'm confident he will continue to get even better IMO he has already shown he is a legit franchise QB.

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Let Daboll find his QB, groom him while cheap and start fresh.

Pretty sure he has. From what I've seen and read reported he's absolutely enthralled with Jones. There is no doubt in my mind at this point DJ is getting a second contract. Question is time and money. It's a shame they waived his 5th year option but can't really blame them. The prior two seasons were rough. 

Waiting to see if Jones can turn the corner and take a mighty leap to franchise status while paying him $150M is exactly the decisions the Giants have made to put them in the current position they’re in. 

Can you expand on this? Is this a reference to Golladay?

Just now, Shockwave said:

Pretty sure he has. From what I've seen and read reported he's absolutely enthralled with Jones. There is no doubt in my mind at this point DJ is getting a second contract. Question is time and money. It's a shame they waived his 5th year option but can't really blame them. The prior two seasons were rough. 

Can you expand on this? Is this a reference to Golladay?

You mean the guy that threw for 15 TDs and 3200 yards this season? Seems more like someone Daboll didn't trust at all than someone he was enthralled with.

22 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

You mean the guy that threw for 15 TDs and 3200 yards this season? Seems more like someone Daboll didn't trust at all than someone he was enthralled with.

Yes the guy that scored 22 times and accumulated nearly 4000 all purpose yards with only one true weapon on offense. His #1 WR who is highest paid on the roster had the leagues lowest separation rate and then got doghoused. His #2 WR was lost early on to injury, then his #3 WR to.. injury. Then played the second half of the season with a practice squad guy as his #1. That guy.

Edited by Shockwave