PLAYOFFS | Divisional | 1st Seed Eagles vs THE Jersey Bog Giants [Sat 8:15]

Kiltman

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

It is nerve racking not knowing what kind of Jalen Hurts and Lane Johnson we will see tomorrow night? Only reason I'm not more confident. 

I mean ya this is the big question of the game. If Hurts especially isn't right it will be a very tough game to win. He needs to be in form for our offense to flourish the way it can. Lane obviously is a huge deal as well, but my feeling is if he plays and stays on the field his form will be ok. Basically if he is able to manage the pain and play through it without making the injury worse he will perform pretty well.

If Hurts and Lane both perform our chances of winning are extremely good. If not, the game is a tossup.

16 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I mean all of that is true but also all of that was done by a previous GM who we absolutely loathed. As far as horrible contracts go though Golladay is the only one I find egregious.

That’s the Giants brass though. It’s not separate from the GM. They get no absolution over Gettleman. It was a bad decision compounded over a couple times. 

My original point was giving Jones $150M contract is the type of move the recent Giants would make. A bad move, IMO. Moves I’ve come to expect lately from them. But this year does seem to be a step in the right direction. I’ll go out on a limb and predict that if they do sign Jones for another contract, it sets them back a decade. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

That’s the Giants brass though. It’s not separate from the GM. They get no absolution over Gettleman. It was a bad decision compounded over a couple times. 

My original point was giving Jones $150M contract is the type of move the recent Giants would make. A bad move, IMO. Moves I’ve come to expect lately from them. But this year does seem to be a step in the right direction. I’ll go out on a limb and predict that if they do sign Jones for another contract, it sets them back a decade. 

And you think the QB heir apparent can be had at the 26th pick? Doubtful. It'd be hitting the reset button. Makes more sense to resign Jones and Barkley use FA and draft to give them weapons, shore up the LB corps, and re-arm for the next few seasons. The team is uptrending and trying to relieve itself of bad contracts from the prior GM. Not rebuilding. The window is opening. Jones and Barkley are both young enough to build around.

Seems to me like Daboll has molded this offense to fit Jones strengths and he is fully committed to him going forward. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

I’m not discrediting him. I’m just surprised how amped Giants fans are getting because Jones “whopped” up on maybe the worst defense in the league. It’s a good stepping stone for Jones, regardless. Am just really shocked Giant fans are chirping so loud for him now. He’s played better, but nothing I would be lining up a contract for. 

Maybe we have different definitions of “franchise QB”? I dunno. @Shockwavecalled him a fringe 12-15 QB. I don’t really consider that a guy I’m signing up for 15 years of. That’s what I’d consider a franchise QB. 

I don’t know why I really have to reiterate this but a guy throwing 15 TDs and 3300 yards in a year isn’t screaming franchise QB. Call me crazy I guess. I would wholeheartedly agree he’s progressed and his weapons hinder, and that’s not his fault, but really good QBs find ways to elevate. I don’t see it in Jones. 

Why do you guys consistently disregard his production on the ground? In that same sentiment Hurts only threw for 22 TDs and 3700 yards with two legitimate starting WR's and TE that were mostly healthy all season. Jones throwing to practice squad guys and you just want to pick on his passing stats without mentioning what he did on the ground. Does that means Hurts 700 yds and 13 scores on the ground count for nothing too?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Why do you guys consistently disregard his production on the ground? In that same sentiment Hurts only threw for 22 TDs and 3700 yards with two legitimate starting WR's and TE that were mostly healthy all season. Jones throwing to practice squad guys and you just want to pick on his passing stats without mentioning what he did on the ground. Does that means Hurts 700 yds and 13 scores on the ground count for nothing too?

A lot of the fans ignore that stuff. They both deserve for both to be included.

I'm not like most and actually think Danny Dimes could turn into a franchise QB. There's a lot to like and he's getting better at covering up the issues. If you guys get him some legit weapons at WR/TE then the division will  be even tougher then it already is.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

And you think the QB heir apparent can be had at the 26th pick? Doubtful. It'd be hitting the reset button. Makes more sense to resign Jones and Barkley use FA and draft to give them weapons, shore up the LB corps, and re-arm for the next few seasons. The team is uptrending and trying to relieve itself of bad contracts from the prior GM. Not rebuilding. The window is opening. Jones and Barkley are both young enough to build around.

Seems to me like Daboll has molded this offense to fit Jones strengths and he is fully committed to him going forward. 

I mean, plenty of good QBs can be had all over. Or you can make a couple moves and get the guy you’re targeting. Point is, I’d rather Daboll, who I think is a really good coach, pick the guy he knows he can mold into a top talent. Even if it takes a couple years. But mostly, I think that’s the better option than tying up 25% of your cap to guys that have struggled to stay healthy or perform at a level you need to achieve greatness. But that’s just me. When Jones and Barkley are pulling $50M a year from your pot, that FA money you’re talking about tends to dry up pretty fast. Giants have to win this year or the next or they’re resetting the whole damn thing, IMO. Their window is with paying Jones peanuts. Once theyre handing over the farm to him, it becomes way more difficult. 

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I mean ya this is the big question of the game. If Hurts especially isn't right it will be a very tough game to win. He needs to be in form for our offense to flourish the way it can. Lane obviously is a huge deal as well, but my feeling is if he plays and stays on the field his form will be ok. Basically if he is able to manage the pain and play through it without making the injury worse he will perform pretty well.

If Hurts and Lane both perform our chances of winning are extremely good. If not, the game is a tossup.

If Hurts doesn't perform well, the Eagles are getting absolutely destroyed. Hurts carries the team more than people realize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

He plays Quarterback. His job is to be good at throwing the ball. Of course the running stats count but it’s not sustainable. See: history. Do you think Jones is going to run for 700 yards year after year? Running QBs always end up hurt and costing themselves seasons of games because of it. Your QB has to learn how to throw and do it well to be great. There’s no in between. It’s only a matter of time before his body can’t take the punishment or Father Time takes the ability away. It’s not like Jones is some crazy twitch athlete. Hes got straight line speed and sometimes falls when he’s 15 yards ahead of everyone, clear for a score. He’s not juking and jumping or barreling away avoiding defenders. He’s just a lanky dude that’s got some speed. He’ll lose a step and he’s going to need to rely on that arm. And it’ll happen sooner than later. Wentz was that guy. One knee injury and he can’t outrun DTs anymore. It’s a tale as old as time. And don’t think I don’t think it won’t happen to Jalen either. It will. And he better have prepared to be a throwing QB when it does. But the comparison is a terrible one to begin with. Hurts has already  had a better throwing year than Jones ever had in a shortened season. 700 more yards and 7 more TDs in one less game? Hurts is a better thrower already. And that’s coming from a Hurts doubter. 

23 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

If Hurts doesn't perform well, the Eagles are getting absolutely destroyed. Hurts carries the team more than people realize.

Only singular way the Eagles get "destroyed" is IF they as a team have another WTF type game with TO's. Fumbles, Int,  TD altering Penalties, you name it.

Self inflicted 💩. In otherwords how the Eagles have lost all 3 of thier games this season.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I mean, plenty of good QBs can be had all over. Or you can make a couple moves and get the guy you’re targeting. Point is, I’d rather Daboll, who I think is a really good coach, pick the guy he knows he can mold into a top talent. Even if it takes a couple years. But mostly, I think that’s the better option than tying up 25% of your cap to guys that have struggled to stay healthy or perform at a level you need to achieve greatness. But that’s just me. When Jones and Barkley are pulling $50M a year from your pot, that FA money you’re talking about tends to dry up pretty fast. Giants have to win this year or the next or they’re resetting the whole damn thing, IMO. Their window is with paying Jones peanuts. Once theyre handing over the farm to him, it becomes way more difficult. 

Errm no... they cannot. Good QB's are rare. If you got one you lock him up long term. 

31 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

He plays Quarterback. His job is to be good at throwing the ball. Of course the running stats count but it’s not sustainable. See: history. Do you think Jones is going to run for 700 yards year after year? Running QBs always end up hurt and costing themselves seasons of games because of it. Your QB has to learn how to throw and do it well to be great. There’s no in between. It’s only a matter of time before his body can’t take the punishment or Father Time takes the ability away. It’s not like Jones is some crazy twitch athlete. Hes got straight line speed and sometimes falls when he’s 15 yards ahead of everyone, clear for a score. He’s not juking and jumping or barreling away avoiding defenders. He’s just a lanky dude that’s got some speed. He’ll lose a step and he’s going to need to rely on that arm. And it’ll happen sooner than later. Wentz was that guy. One knee injury and he can’t outrun DTs anymore. It’s a tale as old as time. And don’t think I don’t think it won’t happen to Jalen either. It will. And he better have prepared to be a throwing QB when it does. But the comparison is a terrible one to begin with. Hurts has already  had a better throwing year than Jones ever had in a shortened season. 700 more yards and 7 more TDs in one less game? Hurts is a better thrower already. And that’s coming from a Hurts doubter. 

Whole bunch of blah yet he would instantly cite Hurts rushing stats in a conversation about MVP. You a biased hack. Because without his ground production he's average....

Edited by Shockwave

40 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

No. The Eagles are a significantly better team than the Giants. We aren't getting destroyed with a mediocre performance from Hurts. It would take a complete collapse to get destroyed... 

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

No. The Eagles are a significantly better team than the Giants. We aren't getting destroyed with a mediocre performance from Hurts. It would take a complete collapse to get destroyed... 

I mean, I'm rooting for the Eagles. I think an Eagles-Cowboys NFC Championship game would genuinely be one of the best games of the decade... but if Hurts plays like Minshew, everyone else playing well, you think the Eagles win? I don't.

If Hurts plays poorly, I think the Eagles lose 14-28. If Hurts plays well, I think they win by +20, maybe something like 37-17.