2022 Divisional Round: Jaguars vs Chiefs

kingseanjohn

Who wins?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

1 hour ago, Habbsawce said:

They were gashing on the run game and KC D had no answer. As soon as they went away from that, the game got away.

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If you're going to fire DCs who can't defend Kelce the league won't have any DCs.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Yesterday was different. Mahomes was hobbled and pretty much only targeting Kelce. Henne also only targeted Kelce. The Jags defended him like he was George Swaim.

If there are criticisms the JAX coaching staff should have for themselves when they look at the film, it would be 3-fold:

1.   Yes, Kelce runs option routes, so you can't necessarily play for different tendencies / areas where Kelce will go.   But that's why the only solution in that situation is to double him.     Yes, it creates openings elsewhere, but JAX didn't even consider this.    And let's be clear, the only reason why Kelce "only" had 4 catches in the 2H is because KC went far more run-heavy - and Mahomes also missed Kelce for a 25+ yard wide open play, too.   It's not that Kelce went off - it's that JAX didn't even try to adjust.   THAT is something I'd take the DC to task for.

2.  Overall, the D paid WAY too much respect in preventing the deep ball to Mahomes after he got hurt.   They were in off coverage, and off the LOS when it was clear that KC was going to play small ball.   Run and short-area passes are the sure way to limit your exposure to pass rush with a hobbled Kelce.   JAX didn't stack the box or challenge Mahomes at all.   I get it, that's not the way you play a healthy Mahomes, but he wasn't even close to healthy.  I would expect next week's opponent will do a far better job in this regard.

3.  On the flip side, it was crazy to see Pederson's game plan veer away from the run game with Etienne, and instead use more Hasty (I know he blocks better, but those were wasted inside runs in the 2Q-4Q), and the short-area pass game.   The short-area pass game is playing right into the KC D's hands - they're vulnerable in the 15-25 yard area, if you throw it to the flats / LOS, their speed allows them to swarm those plays.    Pretty frustrating as a guy who took JAX ML when Mahomes went down (but that's gambling lol).   

Overall, JAX is legit, and they're only going to be better.   But the horrible job Chargers HC Staley and OC Joe Lombardi did to protect a big lead wasn't replicated by Andy Reid after Mahomes got hurt - when Mahomes went down, Reid changed completely and went with the smart plan.   JAX's D didn't adjust to Kelce or the change to run game until it was too late.   And to be fair, KC's DC Spags called an excellent game.   But JAX has to look at yesterday as a missed opportunity - hopefully one they learn from.  I expect whoever plays KC will certainly learn from watching the film.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

If there are criticisms the JAX coaching staff should have for themselves when they look at the film, it would be 3-fold:

1.   Yes, Kelce runs option routes, so you can't necessarily play for different tendencies / areas where Kelce will go.   But that's why the only solution in that situation is to double him.     Yes, it creates openings elsewhere, but JAX didn't even consider this.    And let's be clear, the only reason why Kelce "only" had 4 catches in the 2H is because KC went far more run-heavy - and Mahomes also missed Kelce for a 25+ yard wide open play, too.   It's not that Kelce went off - it's that JAX didn't even try to adjust.   THAT is something I'd take the DC to task for.

2.  Overall, the D paid WAY too much respect in preventing the deep ball to Mahomes after he got hurt.   They were in off coverage, and off the LOS when it was clear that KC was going to play small ball.   Run and short-area passes are the sure way to limit your exposure to pass rush with a hobbled Kelce.   JAX didn't stack the box or challenge Mahomes at all.   I get it, that's not the way you play a healthy Mahomes, but he wasn't even close to healthy.  I would expect next week's opponent will do a far better job in this regard.

3.  On the flip side, it was crazy to see Pederson's game plan veer away from the run game with Etienne, and instead use more Hasty (I know he blocks better, but those were wasted inside runs in the 2Q-4Q), and the short-area pass game.   The short-area pass game is playing right into the KC D's hands - they're vulnerable in the 15-25 yard area, if you throw it to the flats / LOS, their speed allows them to swarm those plays.    Pretty frustrating as a guy who took JAX ML when Mahomes went down (but that's gambling lol).   

Overall, JAX is legit, and they're only going to be better.   But the horrible job Chargers HC Staley and OC Joe Lombardi did to protect a big lead wasn't replicated by Andy Reid after Mahomes got hurt - when Mahomes went down, Reid changed completely and went with the smart plan.   JAX's D didn't adjust to Kelce or the change to run game until it was too late.   And to be fair, KC's DC Spags called an excellent game.   But JAX has to look at yesterday as a missed opportunity - hopefully one they learn from.  I expect whoever plays KC will certainly learn from watching the film.

Jacksonville actually put more of their attention on Jerrick McKinnon, especially after Mahomes injury they really sat on the RB. Kelces first TD he got open because their attention was on McKinnon. Don’t know if that was the better pick your poison option, so you can debate that.

What you need to do is get your biggest/best coverage guy, have him jam Kelce at the line and play man coverage. Allowing him a free release is the wrong move, he’s too smart. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Jacksonville actually put more of their attention on Jerrick McKinnon, especially after Mahomes injury they really sat on the RB. Kelces first TD he got open because their attention was on McKinnon. Don’t know if that was the better pick your poison option, so you can debate that.

What you need to do is get your biggest/best coverage guy, have him jam Kelce at the line and play man coverage. Allowing him a free release is the wrong move, he’s too smart. 

Absolutely - and why LAC has Derwin James play him 1 on 1.   But if you don’t have an elite defender - more attention his way is the no-brainer call.  

More importantly no matter what you plan to do, if it’s not working - change the plan.   Once Mahomes got hurt it was time to adjust.  That’s the one regret I suspect JAX coaches will have looking back.