Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

What's everybody's thoughts for the future?

There is a whole lot of options on how we move forward, in reality its about impossible with Kirks $36M cap hit (5th highest in the NFL) to really rebuild or blow up the team without having a ton of empty space around him. There are some pretty good vets on this team that will almost certainly have to leave this year to even work to try and improve the team, and help resign Jefferson to a long term contract. 

Do we sign Kirk to another extension to try and help out some of the Cap situation? Do we just let him play out the final year, and move on come 2024?

Danielle Hunter also most likely will be looking for a new payday/extension also. Do we see a little bit of a holdout with him?

Some vets with some baggage. Harrison Smith, Dalvin Cook, Eric Kendricks, Adam Thielen, & Za'Darius Smith all have some pretty hefty contracts that just maybe its time to look into moving on from, what is some of our thoughts on these older vets?

Do we have any in-house free agents we should really be looking to keep?

List of Free Agents

CB Kris Boyd

C Garrett Bradbury

OT Blake Brandel (ERFA)

DE Jonathan Bullard

LS Andrew DePaola

TE Ben Ellefson (RFA)

WR Olabisi Johnson

K Greg Joseph

RB Alexander Mattison

QB Nick Mullens

CB Patrick Peterson

G Austin Schlottmann

TE Irv Smith Jr.

CB Chandon Sullivan

DT Khyiris Tonga (ERFA)

OT Oli Udoh

You should include Tomlinson on this list as his contract voids.  

I just don't see how you get better than Kirk next year, or likely the year after. 

I'd let Cook go for any draft pick. Thielen needs a pay cut. I have no idea what to do on defense other than get rid of Kendricks and the DC. So much work....

You almost have to trade out of round one....

• Like 2

If Kwesi wants to keep Donatell around I won't complain about it right away. I would wait to see how things turned out on defense next year.  However, if the team doesn't moce on to a different DC things don't improve a fair amount on defense next year I would look at staying the course at DC as an avoidable error.

The team does need more talent on defense, but I believe coaching is the primary problem right now.

I would look for a new DC.  If Vic Fangio would come be the DC that would be the most ideal candidate IMO.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I did see someone on twitter that did make a fair point. Blowing up most of the defense, if it still wouldn't work out great....we would then just end up 32nd in defense instead of being ranked 31st.

I personally have to issue with basically just getting young. 

Really the tough part will be deciding what to do with Hunter. 

Hunter really adjusted well and stayed healthy all season. I'd extend him this offseason. Get his cap number down and lock him up long term. He's only 28 years old. He'll be 29 next season. He's a physical freak who keeps himself in shape. I'd have no problem committing to him for the next 4 years with some outs thereafter.

I would hate to see Thielen leave. But he’s not worth his current contract. However, if he chooses not to retire, I don’t see how he’s not brought back. He’s not getting anything close to what he’s been getting from anyone, and frankly, even taking a significant pay cut with Minnesota is likely going to be his best option. 

3 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Yes. But move on from Dalvin. 

He wasnt terrible or anything. He had his moments, but i would hesitate to say he was good. If you take away 2 carries he drops from a respectable 4.4 ypc to a bad 3.9. Obviously if you take away a rb's top runs their YPC is going to drop, but a .5 drop on only 2 carries seems excessive. And it matches what the eye test showed this year

Keep Kirk. Trade Dalvin. Restructure Thielen. 

Cut Kendricks. Switch back to a 4-3

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I'm not sure what I would even offer him. It really was his best year when he was healthy. I kind of want to just move on, but what would be the max you pay for someone who graded out as a top 12 center?

Well the "max you pay" is different than the "max you can pay." I think the market will price him out of Minnesota's plans.

One of the things that stood out to me with yesterdays game was how much faster the Giants' players seemed to be than the Vikings.  It was especially noticeable with our defense.  Kendricks appears that he has lost two steps.  Harrison Smith is slower.  None of the DBs have recovery speed.

On offense, Cook is slower and less violent running the ball.  While JJ is the best overall WR in the game, he's not a burner.  I don't know how the Vikings will boost team speed, but it was a glaring need yesterday.

We extend Cousins.  Has to be done.  There just isn't anyway to get anyone better AND cheaper anytime soon.  Just hope there is away to reduce his cap hit.

I think it's important to think out of the box with Theilen.  What if we brought him back as player/coaching intern with a reduced contract.  I think he has the personality, work ethic, and intelligence to be a really good position coach, coordinator, and head coach some day in the NFL.  If this is something he wants why not help him get a start?

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I mean Adams left basically because his payday was going to be better elsewhere, playing with an old teammate, and well the Packers couldn't afford to pay him.

Tyreek left because he wanted to go to Miami.... he got to Miami.

First time I've read anywhere that Adams left GB over money.  It was widely reported by Adams himself that he took less money to go to Vegas.

He wanted to be closer to his family.  He wanted to play with his best friend and future HOF QB, Carr.  It was a life long dream of his to be a Raider.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Getting better than Kirk at all is very, very tough. Near impossible unless you have a #1 overall pick.

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Agreed. You have to get lucky to do better. He's not perfect, but he's in the top ten range. I think. 

This team was abysmal on defense. 

It is so tough at QB, isn't it?  Yah, you want better than Cousins.  But, you know he's good.  He's done it plenty.  But once you pay him big money, you kind of expect more and it is really tough to get more.

So if you move on...you are likely not getting that level of play for a while.  If ever again.

But you hate spending that money.

It's just such a tough position to be in that you kind of have to keep rolling with a QB like Cousins.  Or Prescott.  Or Carr.  Only the Raiders finally cut that cord.  And I dare say, Cousins > Carr.  

• Like 2