Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

31 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Ahh. I was not aware those were his own words.

“Any time you change quarterbacks from Hall of Famer to Hall of Famer ... it's going to be a little bit of an adjustment,” said Adams. He later said, “In terms of talent and ability (Rodgers and Carr) are very similar.Jul 24, 2022

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Getting better than Kirk at all is very, very tough. Near impossible unless you have a #1 overall pick.

I would say even having #1 overall isn't even close to a guarantee to be better than Kirk.  You've seen Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, haven't you?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I would say even having #1 overall isn't even close to a guarantee to be better than Kirk.  You've seen Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, haven't you?

Yeah, having the #1 pick just raises your chances from near impossible to unlikely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

People quickly forget the QB purgatory this franchise has endured since Tarkenton. Or even this century. We had 2ish good seasons from Culpepper. One great season from Favre. One above mediocre season from Teddy, and one unsustainable season from Case Keenum. 

That's it. The rest was littered wiht Frerotte, T-Jack, Ponder, Bradford, and a whole heap of garbage bin guys. 

Kirk has brought us the most stability we've had at the position in 30+ years.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

People quickly forget the QB purgatory this franchise has endured since Tarkenton. Or even this century. We had 2ish good seasons from Culpepper. One great season from Favre. One above mediocre season from Teddy, and one unsustainable season from Case Keenum. 

That's it. The rest was littered wiht Frerotte, T-Jack, Ponder, Bradford, and a whole heap of garbage bin guys. 

And that stability is only likely to last about 2 more years, because 37 seems to be the magic number for a lot of guys to start falling off dramatically.  Kirk hits that in 2025.

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

And that stability is only likely to last about 2 more years, because 37 seems to be the magic number for a lot of guys to start falling off dramatically.  Kirk hits that in 2025.

I think he probably can make it to 38-39 as a solid QB if he doesn't lose much of his arm strength. But yeah, it will be a question of how steep that decline is. 

Still, to upend what he brings to the table right now with no other options, like some seem to want, is absurd.  

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I did see someone on twitter that did make a fair point. Blowing up most of the defense, if it still wouldn't work out great....we would then just end up 32nd in defense instead of being ranked 31st.

I personally have to issue with basically just getting young. 

Really the tough part will be deciding what to do with Hunter. 

I think you have to blow up the defense. There’s really no difference between 32 and 31 so why not go younger and cheaper across the board.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but I think it may be a couple of years before we get back to being a 12 win team. This roster is going to look so much different and there really isn’t much draft capital this year to turn it around quickly. Cousins isn’t getting younger and his metrics weren’t all that good this year. Not saying he was bad, maybe it will be better in year two in this offense, just saying that his decline is inevitable given his age. 

Only thing I really want to get done this offseason is get Jefferson locked up long term.

Theres simply too many holes on the defense to sit here and feel confident it will all get addressed in 2023. But even the 20th best defense would be a start.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I'm not sure what I would even offer him. It really was his best year when he was healthy. I kind of want to just move on, but what would be the max you pay for someone who graded out as a top 12 center?

My offer is the contract that the Rams gave Brian Allen. If the market has him making more elsewhere, so be it. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My offer is the contract that the Rams gave Brian Allen. If the market has him making more elsewhere, so be it. 

Can we afford that knowing that Hockenson will need a new deal too? I’m very hesitant to extend Bradbury but the OL did seem far more cohesive when he was starting. Also need to figure out contracts for Cleveland, Osborn and Jefferson. Think we may end up having to decide between Cleveland and Bradbury. 

44 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Sometimes I would rather be living the life of a bottom 10 team than being average... If it takes a bit to find your QB so be it. I don't know how many good years he has left, but I want @vike daddyto witness a Super Bowl WIN!

Lots & Lots of sarcasm in this post