Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Sometimes I would rather be living the life of a bottom 10 team than being average... If it takes a bit to find your QB so be it. I don't know how many good years he has left, but I want @vike daddyto witness a Super Bowl WIN!

Lots & Lots of sarcasm in this post

If we had draft capital, there are ways to manipulate the draft board. Like what the Chiefs did to land Mahomes. The Vikes need to take that approach. Not sure if this year is the year to do it, which will require trading a future first, but having a QB with high upside who can sit for a year is probably the best strategy for an average team with a slightly above average QB. Of course the team could tank and trade Cousins and bring in a stop gap like Carson Wentz or Teddy Bridgewater; but I don’t see that as something KOC or Kwesi would consider. 

Rebuilding the defense, what do we have under contract as likely starters?

Edge - Hunter, Wonnum, Jones 

What do we do with Smith? Cut him? Seems Hunter is going to be the better and healthier player going forward. 

DL - Phillips, Tonga

Is Tomlinson affordable or are we forced to move on? Feel like DL is one spot we must find an upgrade. Think Phillips and Tonga should stay. 

LB - Asamoah 

I’d honestly cut Kendricks and Hicks, take the savings and look for an upgrade in FA and draft. Asamoah will have to make that next step. 

CB - Booth

Think you have to assume Booth takes a top 3 CB spot. Otherwise what a waste of a pick. Peterson is a priority resigning. Shelley probably walks though I liked how he played. Don’t like Dantzler. Hard to trust Evans given his concussions. Sullivan isn’t very good. 

SAF - Smith, Bynum, Cine

Would be nice if Cine could take a starting spot and move Bynum to slot CB but his rookie year was very discouraging, even before the injury. 

So cut Kendricks, Hicks, Smith; let Tomlinson and Shelley walk unless you get them on a team friendly deal. Resign Peterson. Sign another CB and LB to replace departing players. 

As for the type of defense to run, i don’t know but not the current one. Donatell isn’t it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Can we afford that knowing that Hockenson will need a new deal too? I’m very hesitant to extend Bradbury but the OL did seem far more cohesive when he was starting. Also need to figure out contracts for Cleveland, Osborn and Jefferson. Think we may end up having to decide between Cleveland and Bradbury. 

The salary cap is going to go up by quite a bit in 2024 and 2025 because of the new TV deals. We'll get around to Osborn and Cleveland next year. 

Jefferson and Hockenson are the clear priorities, and if we can find funds for Bradbury, that will be great as well.

Bradbury was good for most of the year, but he was flat putrid for the rest of his rookie contract.  Then after starting the year well he got hurt and looked pretty bad in the playoff loss. I would have a hard time trusting him enough to give him much in guarantees.

On the other hand, it would be great to have him back if he would agree to something without much guaranteed beyond the first year.  He probably looked good enough this year that I don't know that he will have to settle for that. Alas, I would likely be looking for a new center for next year.

36 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Bradbury was good for most of the year, but he was flat putrid for the rest of his rookie contract.  Then after starting the year well he got hurt and looked pretty bad in the playoff loss. I would have a hard time trusting him enough to give him much in guarantees.

On the other hand, it would be great to have him back if he would agree to something without much guaranteed beyond the first year.  He probably looked good enough this year that I don't know that he will have to settle for that. Alas, I would likely be looking for a new center for next year.

It is one of the best center classes in recent years, very solid group and I feel it would be foolish for the Vikings to pass on that.  And if Sedrick Van Pran declares it would make it even more deep of a group and he would be maybe the 5th or 6th best center out of these guys.

Jarrett Patterson Notre Dame RS
Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan
John Michael Schmitz Minnesota RS
Luke Wypler Ohio State RS SOPH
Ricky Stromberg Arkansas
Alex Forsyth Oregon
Juice Scruggs Penn State RS

Ideally Patterson would drop, I have him going way high like top 10 because he could play either guard position and is also a great C and could even play RT if asked.  He has not given up a sack in over four years of playing at a major college football program playing a variety of positions.  That is wildly impressive to me, and maybe people will sleep on him and he will fall right to Minnesota, I would not mind Oluwatimi or Schmitz either.  Maybe they trade back in the draft even and gain a 2nd rounder and still get one of those three centers.

Honestly the offensive system helped Bradbury and used his athletic ability, but the quick passing, multiple bunch formations and up tempo greatly helped him, but yeah Lawrence destroyed Bradbury in that playoff game but no surprise really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Rebuilding the defense, what do we have under contract as likely starters?

Edge - Hunter, Wonnum, Jones 

What do we do with Smith? Cut him? Seems Hunter is going to be the better and healthier player going forward. 

DL - Phillips, Tonga

Is Tomlinson affordable or are we forced to move on? Feel like DL is one spot we must find an upgrade. Think Phillips and Tonga should stay. 

LB - Asamoah 

I’d honestly cut Kendricks and Hicks, take the savings and look for an upgrade in FA and draft. Asamoah will have to make that next step. 

CB - Booth

Think you have to assume Booth takes a top 3 CB spot. Otherwise what a waste of a pick. Peterson is a priority resigning. Shelley probably walks though I liked how he played. Don’t like Dantzler. Hard to trust Evans given his concussions. Sullivan isn’t very good. 

SAF - Smith, Bynum, Cine

Would be nice if Cine could take a starting spot and move Bynum to slot CB but his rookie year was very discouraging, even before the injury. 

So cut Kendricks, Hicks, Smith; let Tomlinson and Shelley walk unless you get them on a team friendly deal. Resign Peterson. Sign another CB and LB to replace departing players. 

As for the type of defense to run, i don’t know but not the current one. Donatell isn’t it.

Agree with most of this but not at all on Shelley.  If anyone needs to be resigned on defense, besides  Hunter, then it’s him.  

Other than Shelley and Hunter, everyone’s placement on this defense can be revisited. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I’d love to get a tougher mentality. An OL that can move people in the run game and a DL that controls the LOS. Bradbury is a finesse player, doesn’t fit this in my opinion. The run game struggles on third and short need to be addressed. I prefer to let him walk than overpay. 

22 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Agree with most of this but not at all on Shelley.  If anyone needs to be resigned on defense, besides  Hunter, then it’s him.  

Other than Shelley and Hunter, everyone’s placement on this defense can be revisited. 

Shelley over Peterson? I’d take both back as well, just concerned about how that works with the cap. 

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

-I’d prolly let Bradbury walk

-not extend Cousins

-Cook/Kendrick/Hicks cut

-Hock + JJ extended

-Adam is allowed to explore other options

-I am not really a fan of trading down, but if I need to give up a future 1st and current 1st, in a mini move up for QB, I’d do it. 

Any QBs in that 8-12 range that fit the mold of a high upside type that could benefit going to a situation where they aren’t thrown in immediately? Honestly don’t follow college football so I couldn’t begin to know any names at this stage.

50 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Shelley over Peterson? I’d take both back as well, just concerned about how that works with the cap. 

Yes.  Over Peterson.  He was better than Peterson this year.  He was the only bright spot in the Giants game other than Cousins pre-last play. 

• Like 2