Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He’s about the only one I can think of, as well.

What’s his value?

Hard saying. Probably around the same value and Yannick when we traded him. I’m sure the neck injury will be an issue teams will bring up. He had 10.5 sacks which isn’t bad, but I’m not sure what it really ends up bringing in return. Most likely somewhere in between what Robert Quinn and Bradley Chubb brought, and that’s a big variance. 

At the end of the day I’m not sure it’s worth it if you’re not getting a day one pick in return. Only way it makes sense outside of it is on draft day you are trading D2 if the guy you want is on the board. You have to have the guy to replace him. Hard trusting just Wonnum, Jones, and maybe Z if we hold onto him. 

I've been going back and forth on two guys; PP7 and Bradbury.

Before the NYG game I was all aboard re-signing them. PP7 played OK but looked slow in man coverage at times. If he signs a similar deal as last year I'm OK with that.

Bradbury is great in the run game but leaves a lot to be desired in pass pro. Continuity on the OL would be great heading into next year and we have limited draft capital to explore OC options.

just FYI, if the Vikings make these pre 6/1 cuts:

Z Smith

Dalvin Cook

Eric Kendricks

Jordan Hicks

CJ Ham

Chris Reed

they go from negative 24mil in cap space, to positive 17mil in cap space.

You can also create more with a TJ extension,  O'neil restructure (convert salary to bonus), AT and Harrison renegotiate. 

50 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

just FYI, if the Vikings make these pre 6/1 cuts:

Z Smith

Dalvin Cook

Eric Kendricks

Jordan Hicks

CJ Ham

Chris Reed

they go from negative 24mil in cap space, to positive 17mil in cap space.

You can also create more with a TJ extension,  O'neil restructure (convert salary to bonus), AT and Harrison renegotiate. 

Add that up in a form with Dead Cap. The team will pay attention to that. 

14 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Cousins is getting extended. We aren’t drafting a QB in the first round. 

This offseason is going to be defense, defense, defense. 

As it should be. 

You don’t know that.  He’s 35 years old and extending him would be a mistake. I like Cousins but the contract he has is solid enough. You need to have your QBOTF as soon as you can get him.  That’s by far the most important position in the field. It isn’t like the defense is going to be fixed on one season anyway.  So going defense defense defense only does so much. 

Edited by Morlee

20 minutes ago, Morlee said:

You don’t know that.  He’s 35 years old and extending him would be a mistake. I like Cousins but the contract he has is solid enough. You need to have your QBOTF as soon as you can get him.  That’s by far the most important position in the field. It isn’t like the defense is going to be fixed on one season anyway.  So going defense defense defense only does so much. 

Extending him is not a mistake when you have no succession plan and the team isn't in a position to draft that successor.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

The only thing I hate about another extension is pushing back the future. At what age do we predict the decline? Can he stay healthy enough to make it to 38? Because in reality we are probably looking at a 3 year extension to really have any sort of cap savings outlook.

No, it doesn't need to be a 3-year extension.  The new media deal kicks in this year, and the effect on the cap will likely significantly spike in 2024 so that whatever extension that Kirk gets won't negatively impact the cap warranting a longer-term deal to spread it out.  Now, they may still throw in void years, but that won't be that big of a deal.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What type of cap savings are you looking for?

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No, it doesn't need to be a 3-year extension.  The new media deal kicks in this year, and the effect on the cap will likely significantly spike in 2024 so that whatever extension that Kirk gets won't negatively impact the cap warranting a longer-term deal to spread it out.  Now, they may still throw in void years, but that won't be that big of a deal.

Kirk won't sign a contract with the Vikings that wont be fully guaranteed, and most likely not 3 years at this point of his career. I can also almost guarantee there won't be void years. He never has done that. 3 years would put him into season of age 38. The next one he signs his agent will be pushing for this being his "last contract" and retiring a Viking. Outside of his rookie contract, everything has been basically guaranteed. 

The spike also means nothing to me. If we sign him to a 1 year extension it will most likely be to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL for the next year after that. 2023 he currently ranks at #5 .

He's going to be pushing for money, the only way you can bail out of that is a longer extension that will maybe bring some cap savings. 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Kirk won't sign a contract with the Vikings that wont be fully guaranteed, and most likely not 3 years at this point of his career. I can also almost guarantee there won't be void years. He never has done that. 3 years would put him into season of age 38. The next one he signs his agent will be pushing for this being his "last contract" and retiring a Viking. Outside of his rookie contract, everything has been basically guaranteed. 

The spike also means nothing to me. If we sign him to a 1 year extension it will most likely be to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL for the next year after that. 2023 he currently ranks at #5 .

He's going to be pushing for money, the only way you can bail out of that is a longer extension that will maybe bring some cap savings. 

Yes, he does accept void years.  His current contract has 2 void years right now (2023/2024).

• Like 1