2023 Draft eligible player meetings

warfelg

I read a Hula bowl scouting report.  A small part

From a Steelers point of view there were a number of prospects who I noticed caught the team scouts’ eye and I counted at least 8 different scouts (one of which being Ike Taylor) along with Dan Rooney Jr. also in attendance on the field. There were also multiple people saying that Omar Khan was at the event however I never saw him on the field so I can’t 100% verify that.

This is an interesting change of pace from the old Steelers regime which used to never send many scouts to places like the Hula Bowl, and I also heard that they sent scouts to the College Gridioron Showcase (CGS Bowl) which is unheard of. Some scouts at the event said that this is because the Weidl brothers are of the mindset that no stone should be left unturned and I believe that this is a positive shift for the franchise. 

I will say he loved WR Matt Landers Ark (6’4 197), WR Elijah Cooks San Jose St.  (6’4 215), CB Nehemiah Shelton San Jose St.(6’1 185), Kansas DT Caleb Sampson (6’3 305) FSU OG Dillan Gibbons (6’3 333)Middle Tennessee Edge Jordan Ferguson (6’1 266)

to name a few

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

sure hope they draft a CB early, and sign Sutton. Imagine if they do neither, colbert not to blame anymore for that.

Yea, agree. We need a stud at corner from the draft, rather than another project.
I wouldn't hate letting Sutton go if someone like J.Dean or C.Gardner-Johnson came in return.
I really like Sutton, but he is not a #1.

Edited by mwalker

10 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Yea, agree. We need a stud at corner from the draft, rather than another project.
I wouldn't hate letting Sutton go if someone like J.Dean or C.Gardner-Johnson came in return.

UFA proven vet CB1 would be good, but for some reason I don't expect this.  Maybe they address the secondary like we want, or perhaps they think leading the nfl in INT's was enough, and take their chance. I hope not, because it was nice to get INT's and have a decent pass defence for a change.  How many years were we lacking badly in this part of the defence .

Do you think they go with Wallace and Witherspoon and let Sutton go ? 

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

UFA proven vet CB1 would be good, but for some reason I don't expect this.  Maybe they address the secondary like we want, or perhaps they think leading the nfl in INT's was enough, and take their chance. I hope not, because it was nice to get INT's and have a decent pass defence for a change.  How many years were we lacking badly in this part of the defence .

Do you think they go with Wallace and Witherspoon and let Sutton go ? 

I think Witherspoon is likely gone. I actually think they try with Sutton, but if someone offers him 8-10/year, he'll leave. 
We're definitely drafting a CB, but free-agency will be interesting to see play out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 6:09 AM, mwalker said:

I think Witherspoon is likely gone. I actually think they try with Sutton, but if someone offers him 8-10/year, he'll leave. 
We're definitely drafting a CB, but free-agency will be interesting to see play out.

8 to 10 for Sutton wouldn't be THAT bad.   Depends how much we value him.    If we dont end up cutting Ahkello Witherspoon before free agency, I think they are anticipating losing Sutton.   If Witherspoon and Jackson are both cut fairly early in the offseason, I think keeping Sutton will be a priority.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 7:59 PM, mwalker said:

maybe Sutton isn't what many call CB1, but keep him and get another CB. Stack the secondary, depth is important there in this league considering the QB's/WR's  out there

• Like 1