2023 Baltimore Ravens Roster Tracker

coordinator0

Multiple names we expected, they'll continue pressing the market and probably try to swing something in the coming weeks/months. Nuk has been one of my favorite non Raven players in the league for a long time, so getting him would be awesome, but I do worry about his age/injury combination. I guess all of these guys have some measure of concern attached to them though and beggars can't be choosers. The Jerry Jeudy conversation is also interesting, he'll cost a lot more but he might be worth it in the end. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 9:43 AM, diamondbull424 said:

I mean we’ve never really been a team huge in FA. We’ve always been very mid in that regard.

Personally I think if the goal is to try and resign Campbell, Houston, Peters. Then that’s a good start.

Anthony Averett and Kyle Fuller would both also make for great CBs at the “right player, right price” philosophy.

I feel between our sophomore corners that would be enough to have depth and talent at the position. I’m not particularly worried about CB because there’s typically always quality veteran CBs available at a quality price.

Could then just go into the draft looking to add depth/competition on day 2/day 3 at OL/CB and be confident enough in those spots.

For me WR is still quite easily the biggest need. No one has shown to be durable and we could use two impact options at the spot.

So unless we have an opportunity to target an elite CB (such as when Slay nearly became available) I’d rather we just go with a quality veteran. I’m more worried about the front 7 with Campbell and Houston not currently on the team. If neither comes back then that’s two guys that can’t easily be replaced, impact wise. 

Oweh is hit or miss, we have no idea what Ojabo can do, so really Bowser is the only confident option. At DL it’s not terrible, but Urban wasn’t historically durable and neither is Pierce. So having another impact body would be crucial IMO.

Oh, I don't disagree with your assessment with how the Ravens always operated, but man. We couldn't do better than Nelson? I'd rather they just throw another dart in the 7th round for all that. Now that he's on the squad, I hope he channels his inner Randy Moss of course, but this was such a poverty signing in my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The fact we're still investing in CB's while we pretend we have no cap space for WR's is ******* HILARIOUS.

CB is a bigger need to me than WR currently, and at bare minimum equal. It’s garbage behind Marlon and in the AFC with these QBs that’s not gonna cut it. There weren’t any FA WRs this year…the top 3 were Jakobi Meyers, Allen Lazard and Juju. Not sure who of those guys you think would be worth any sort of significant $. Slay was at least a legitimate difference making CB, unlike those WR options. Reports are that we are looking at Hopkins/Sutton in a possible trade. If we want a legit WR that’s how it’s going to have to happen.

35 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

CB is a bigger need to me than WR currently, and at bare minimum equal. It’s garbage behind Marlon and in the AFC with these QBs that’s not gonna cut it. There weren’t any FA WRs this year…the top 3 were Jakobi Meyers, Allen Lazard and Juju. Not sure who of those guys you think would be worth any sort of significant $. Slay was at least a legitimate difference making CB, unlike those WR options. Reports are that we are looking at Hopkins/Sutton in a possible trade. If we want a legit WR that’s how it’s going to have to happen.

The fact remains we will do literally anything except invest/spend at WR. It's just funny at this point, all you can do is sit back and laugh. Then we sign Nelson Agholor and pretend like he's going to move the needle at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The fact remains we will do literally anything except invest/spend at WR. It's just funny at this point, all you can do is sit back and laugh. Then we sign Nelson Agholor and pretend like he's going to move the needle at all.

I don’t see it that way at all. 2 of the last 4 drafts we’ve taken a 1st round WR. One of those times it was the first WR off the board. We’ve taken multiple 3rd rounders in that span as well. That is more draft investment in the WR position than any other position in that time frame.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/ravens-nfl/ravens-wide-receivers-draft-TUEDNQ4X4JAMZDVKENBOSPQBHU/ 

The Ravens’ investment in the position was immense, even if their rookie contracts were team-friendly. According to an analysis of the Fitzgerald-Spielberger NFL draft trade value chart, which assigns values to draft slots — the higher the pick, the more it’s worth — no team has spent more draft capital on wide receivers over the past five years than the Ravens.

That's not what "doing anything but investing in WR" looks like. It's quite the opposite. The issue is us botching the picks themselves, not the level of investment. Which is an entirely different criticism altogether and one I'd agree with - but the facts are the facts. We've invested a lot in the position contrary to the popular narrative. We just haven't invested via big FA spending which hasn't helped any team with their WR rooms save maybe the Jaguars of last year, and they were unanimously mocked for that Kirk deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/wide-receiver/all/ 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/all/wide-receiver/all/ 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/wide-receiver/all/

Which of these FA WRs of the last 3 offseasons would you have liked to have seen us spend the $ they ended up getting from another team on? Golladay? Corey Davis? Emmanuel Sanders? Allen Robinson? Robbie Anderson? Fans were screaming at the time about us not giving those guys a bunch of $ and it absolutely turned out to be the correct decision. If we gave any of those guys the $ they got from the team they signed with, fans would still be complaining about the WR room, but we'd just have less cap room, so not sure how that changes anything.

We offered Juju - he decided to take less to play with Mahomes. Hollywood Brown demanded a trade after getting the 9th most targets in the NFL the year prior. Maybe there’s a correlation between lack of WR success/unhappiness here and other components of the team.

Big FA spending on WR never works because teams never let their elite WRs hit the market. That's why you have to either a.) draft them, or b.) trade for one (because teams aren't going to let their elite WRs go without recouping value for them). We've tried drafting them - it hasn't worked. Apparently we need to go the trade route now, and apparently that's something we're exploring: https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-sign-courtland-sutton-deandre-hopkins-trade-free-agency-rumor

Edited by Ray Reed

Unless we trade Queen, an ILB core of Smith, Queen, Harrison, Welch, and Josh Ross(UDFA preseason star from 22') should stop us from touching the position in the draft- Which is great, and allows us to focus on need spots.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, DreamKid said:

Unless we trade Queen, an ILB core of Smith, Queen, Harrison, Welch, and Josh Ross(UDFA preseason star from 22') should stop us from touching the position in the draft- Which is great, and allows us to focus on need spots.

I may not believe that Lamar will be gone, but I definitely think Queen is already gone. I just hope we get at least a 2nd round pick for him.

If we somehow get a FRP for him, I’m calling sorcery.

• Like 1

I know we’re smart to cash in on Queen like we did Hollywood, but I also wouldn’t be mad if we let him play the contract out and net a 3rd comp pick. He made a big jump last year and McDonald utilized him in better situations finally. Unless Harrison is ready to fill that other position in early downs, then sure trade him. Just haven’t seen much out of the backups to say he’s worth trading and opening up another need

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ravens5520 said:

I know we’re smart to cash in on Queen like we did Hollywood, but I also wouldn’t be mad if we let him play the contract out and net a 3rd comp pick. He made a big jump last year and McDonald utilized him in better situations finally. Unless Harrison is ready to fill that other position in early downs, then sure trade him. Just haven’t seen much out of the backups to say he’s worth trading and opening up another need

Cash in now if we can get a second at least. But anything less than keep him.

I think he’s good, but an ILB is easier to obtain and we’ve got the depth that we don’t have to reach on anyone, but if a BPA falls than we can go for that guy.

We’ve got options that could answer the position and schematically I’m sure we can always go more nickel vs big nickel if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...