Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

Looks like the 90s rivalry is finally renewed with both teams facing off in the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Should be a good one......

Offensively, we are going to have to deal with the Cowboys top notch pass rush and will need to find a way to give Purdy time in the pocket so he does not panic and throw some game changing INT. Every game he is throwing a ball or two that could be picked off and the Cowboys as we know are very opportunistic. Deebo is going to be the guy that Shanny will rely on early on to set the tone and he's going to need to have another big game. Last year the Cowboys took Kittle away but Aiyuk was getting open quite a bit against Diggs. The Cowboys corners outside of Diggs can be had but they all do a good job at getting their hands on the ball. I expect a lot of misdirection and play action boots but Quinn will be ready for that and as he knows Shanny's offense very well. There is a different dimension with CMC, especially in the passing game and I expect him to have 5-7 catches this game. Mitchell should be a factor and have a better game than he had against Seattle.

Defensively, we have to get some sort of pressure on Dak while rushing only four. The Bucs couldn't get any pressure even when they blitzed and Dak picked them apart. Omenihu had a great game last season against Dallas and he's probably going to need a similar one as our pass rush opposite of Bosa is not consistent. Warner should do his thing taking the middle of the field away and I expect the corners to mainly play their side and not have Ward follow Lamb who lines up in the slot often. We didn't have to deal with Pollard last season and that's a big difference. Our run defense early one looked suspect but they got it together in the 2nd half against Seattle. I'm interested in seeing the types of adjustments Ryans makes as one look against this offense is not going to get it done. The Cowboys since week Dak has returned have been the highest scoring team in the league or at least in the top 3. Not sure if we have surpassed them but they have been scoring 30 points in damn near every game.

Will be intense and stressful but I expect the team to step it up in the 2nd half and close the show.

SF 30

Dallas 20 

• Like 1

https://www.footballzebras.com/2023/01/hochuli-blakeman-cheffers-and-vinovich-are-divisional-playoff-referees/

Bill Vinovich is the referee, who is in his 17th season and 14th as referee. This is his 17th postseason assignment, including 3 Wild Card Playoffs, 6 Divisional Playoffs, 6 Conference Championships, and Super Bowls XLIX and LIV. Both of his Super Bowl assignments were as a referee.

Vinovich was the Ref for our SB in the 2019 season....bleh

I'm guessing we'll also get Burkhardt/Olsen as the commentators 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like the 90s rivalry is finally renewed with both teams facing off in the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Should be a good one......

Offensively, we are going to have to deal with the Cowboys top notch pass rush and will need to find a way to give Purdy time in the pocket so he does not panic and throw some game changing INT. Every game he is throwing a ball or two that could be picked off and the Cowboys as we know are very opportunistic. Deebo is going to be the guy that Shanny will rely on early on to set the tone and he's going to need to have another big game. Last year the Cowboys took Kittle away but Aiyuk was getting open quite a bit against Diggs. The Cowboys corners outside of Diggs can be had but they all do a good job at getting their hands on the ball. I expect a lot of misdirection and play action boots but Quinn will be ready for that and as he knows Shanny's offense very well. There is a different dimension with CMC, especially in the passing game and I expect him to have 5-7 catches this game. Mitchell should be a factor and have a better game than he had against Seattle.

Defensively, we have to get some sort of pressure on Dak while rushing only four. The Bucs couldn't get any pressure even when they blitzed and Dak picked them apart. Omenihu had a great game last season against Dallas and he's probably going to need a similar one as our pass rush opposite of Bosa is not consistent. Warner should do his thing taking the middle of the field away and I expect the corners to mainly play their side and not have Ward follow Lamb who lines up in the slot often. We didn't have to deal with Pollard last season and that's a big difference. Our run defense early one looked suspect but they got it together in the 2nd half against Seattle. I'm interested in seeing the types of adjustments Ryans makes as one look against this offense is not going to get it done. The Cowboys since week Dak has returned have been the highest scoring team in the league or at least in the top 3. Not sure if we have surpassed them but they have been scoring 30 points in damn near every game.

Will be intense and stressful but I expect the team to step it up in the 2nd half and close the show.

SF 30

Dallas 20 

They can't fall behind at any time like they did in the first half against Seattle b/c Brock will eventually show his cracks if you ask him to win the game. I think they need to win this game the same way the did in Lambeau last year with defense & special teams doing the job. I'm not sure the Niners defense can can handle Dak the same way they handled Aaron Rodgers last year.

Can't say that I think we have beaten a team of this caliber all year, so should be interesting. 

We should have won comfortably enough last year, and even though I think that Dallas is better this year, I think we are too. I think we should win, but won't be at all surprised if we don't

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Can't say that I think we have beaten a team of this caliber all year, so should be interesting. 

We should have won comfortably enough last year, and even though I think that Dallas is better this year, I think we are too. I think we should win, but won't be at all surprised if we don't

All I know is that they have a chance to beat the Cowboys but that's about it. If this was the Chiefs, Bills, Eagles I'd say no way but at least they have a shot.

2 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

All I know is that they have a chance to beat the Cowboys but that's about it. If this was the Chiefs, Bills, Eagles I'd say no way but at least they have a shot.

I think we can compete with buffalo. Allen is really bad with turnovers this year and that defense really struggles to tackle. 

I also think we'd matchup decently well with the Bengals. That game will be all about whether they could beat up burrow. 

I don't love matchups with Philly or KC. Especially Philly on the road

I think we win more than we lose against Dallas, but I think it's maybe a 55/45 situation

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I think we can compete with buffalo. Allen is really bad with turnovers this year and that defense really struggles to tackle. 

I also think we'd matchup decently well with the Bengals. That game will be all about whether they could beat up burrow. 

I don't love matchups with Philly or KC. Especially Philly on the road

I think we win more than we lose against Dallas, but I think it's maybe a 55/45 situation

Yes even last year I said if the Niners had beaten the Rams they would've beaten the Bengals as the front 4 would've man handled the Bengals offensive line but Jimmy had to be Jimmy in the 4th quarter against the Rams. I think they could beat the Bengals again this year since their offensive line is banged up again and thus that would help mask the Niners secondary coverage woes. 

As for the Bills well the NFL is basically handing them the SB by not flipping a coin for homefield for the Bengal game and then having the AFC title game in a neutral location. The problem with the Bills is that Josh Allen using his legs to run & throw long balls on the secondary. If Josh Allen was not mobile he'd be equivalent to Kirk Cousins with a stronger arm. I have this strange feeling we'll see Bills/Cowboys in the SB.

I can’t compare the Cowboys game tonight to what we will see and the reason I mainly state this, Tampa did not run the ball at all! They had to play comeback and it was too late. One thing I know Kyle will not deviate from is the run game. This will limit Dallas’ pass rush and hopefully set up our play action and crossers. I do think this will be one of the bigger opponent’s we have played at least for Purdy, so I expect a lot of motions as always and chip blocks on Parson. Deebo will get his touches early again as well, but I expect a heavy dose of CMC and Mitchell. 

Def we just can’t get beat deep. Schultz is someone that I think could have a big game against us especially if Huf tries to do too much. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

This game has the feel of an instant classic.  There is just something different about the 49ers Cowboys rivalry. 

Don't care what ANYONE says, this is our true rival.

Not the ******* Lambs.

Not no damn Seachickens.

Rivalries are built on high stakes games, against familar foes.

Win-or-go-home playoff intensity, on numerous occasions.

No team have we had more tears of joy, nor cries of pain, facing off against...

with Super Bowl births on the line. 

It's only right....

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Don't care what ANYONE says, this is our true rival.

Not the ******* Lambs.

Not no damn Seachickens.

Rivalries are built on high stakes games, against familar foes.

Win-or-go-home playoff intensity, on numerous occasions.

No team have we had more tears of joy, nor cries of pain, facing off against...

with Super Bowl births on the line. 

It's only right....

I agree the 2 main rivals are Cowboys & Packers b/c both of those foes took away SB's from the Niners from the Steve Young led Niners in the 90's. If not for those 2 teams Steve may have won 4 SB's as well to go along with Joe Montana as whomever came out of the AFC was lamb to the wolves!

Only thing that is missing is it being the championship game, and having it at Candlestick. 49ers need to win rookie QB be damned. More pressure in this game, than on the road against the Eagles. At least for the fans, because a contingent are still of the previous generation where the very name of "Dallas" brings up old wounds. 

Both teams looks strong this year. 49ers run the ball with CMC and Deebo, they win period. It shouldn't come down to Purdy. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

“What did you think that 2-minute looked like before half?” a defensive coach whose team faced the 49ers earlier in the season said, referencing the game against Seattle. “In drop-back pass, he is scrambling for his life, he is running to the border of the field three times in the same drive, throwing the ball out of bounds, getting hit. Kyle is the one beating guys by 20 in the playoffs with that offense and a top-three defense.”

San Francisco should remain unstoppable on offense as long as Shanahan can keep things on schedule.

“Purdy has done well, but it is amazing how people are trying to anoint him,” an evaluator said. “I don’t want to take anything away, but he has led the NFL in wide-open receivers. And time to throw. These guys are wide open. When they are not, George Kittle catches the ball on third down and wills his way to a first down. It is the absolute perfect setting and every quarterback would dream to be in it. Give the kid credit, but let’s not anoint him.” …

-The Athletic

That defensive coach and evaluator don't seem to be big fans of Purdy