Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, NFL Network said:

I agree the 2 main rivals are Cowboys & Packers b/c both of those foes took away SB's from the Niners from the Steve Young led Niners in the 90's. If not for those 2 teams Steve may have won 4 SB's as well to go along with Joe Montana as whomever came out of the AFC was lamb to the wolves!

The 49ers Cowboys goes back earlier, the cowboys beat the 49ers in 70, 71, and 72.  From what I understand that 72 team was supposed to be really good too, but that was before my time.  Then in 81, the 49ers knocked the Cowboys off in the catch game, sealing the end of their 70's dynasty.  Then the 90's, of course.  Last year started what will be the 4th generation of this Rivalry. 

There are other rivalries around the league that compare to the 90's alone, but I cannot think of two unrelated teams with such a connected history.  There is nothing else like it.  I feel like the Cowboys are the true rival to the team.  

• Like 1

seems like 1/2 the fan base is just ready for the 49ers to lose. such defeatism.

this is not your Jimmy Garoppolo's 49ers.  this team is ******* juggernaut. 

This is far and away the best 49ers team we've had under the shanahan era.

Dallas are frauds guys. FRAUDS. They were just Front running on a terrible Buccs team that didn't even finish with a winning record. in the AFC they wouldn't even have made the playoffs. Dallas is going on the road for their 4th consecutive road game on a short week and the 49ers have extra days rest.

it might be close early... but we'll destroy them in the second half. 

Purdy AVG 35 a game. 

you guys dont understand just how LOADED the 49ers are. its disgusting. not a team in the league can match us talent for talent. 

If we can't destroy dallas and hang with teams like the Chiefs and win the superbowl now... we'll never win it. 

Edited by Herodreamer79
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Maybe "frauds" is the wrong word. 

"soft" is more like it. 

Yeah, I think they are a perfectly good team. 3rd best in the NFC even. 

But you can take it to them on the ground a bit and with the schedule and travel, you should be able to wear them down. 

They can win and I wouldn't be surprised, but my expectation is to win 

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

The 49ers Cowboys goes back earlier, the cowboys beat the 49ers in 70, 71, and 72.  From what I understand that 72 team was supposed to be really good too, but that was before my time.  Then in 81, the 49ers knocked the Cowboys off in the catch game, sealing the end of their 70's dynasty.  Then the 90's, of course.  Last year started what will be the 4th generation of this Rivalry. 

There are other rivalries around the league that compare to the 90's alone, but I cannot think of two unrelated teams with such a connected history.  There is nothing else like it.  I feel like the Cowboys are the true rival to the team.  

I don't know what the count is now, but the Giants/49ers have played in just as many big games. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I looked up the 72 NFC divisional game.  There are high quality highlights of it on youtube.  It was brutal, viewer discretion advised.  Other than John Brodie I hadn't heard of many of the players, but I felt for those dudes.

Two words OG fans probably loathe to hear: Preston Riley. Kyle Williams before Kyle Williams. Dallas erased an 18 point deficit in the snap of a finger late in the 4th quarter, winning the game. 

That 1972 divisional round L to the Cowboys fractured the 49ers, and they wouldn't make it back to the playoffs until 1981. 49ers had some good players in the early 70's including HOF linebacker Dave Wilcox, tight end Ted Kwalick, wideout Gene Washington, center Forrest Blue, HOF corner Jimmiy Johnson, and defensive end Cedrick Hardman.

Dallas just continuously stonewalled SF for three straight years. I heard when the 49ers finally beat Dallas, and went to the Super Bowl in 1981, John Brodie was at some bar watching the game, and starting crying. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I think they are a perfectly good team. 3rd best in the NFC even. 

Not saying much. NFC is not that good this year man. SF, Dallas and Philly is it.

Everyone else is "happy to be here" thanks to the regular stalwarts like the Rams, Packers and Saints all crashing like crypto and leaving a bunch of extra wins on the table that had to go somewhere. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

3 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

seems like 1/2 the fan base is just ready for the 49ers to lose. such defeatism.

this is not your Jimmy Garoppolo's 49ers.  this team is ******* juggernaut. 

No offense, but not a single person here has said anything remotely similar to this lol 

I get what you're saying, but if you see someone complain that Jimmy isnt the qb during this playoff run, it's actually a great thing to see because you can instantly stop caring what they are saying. 

3 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Dallas are frauds guys. FRAUDS. They were just Front running on a terrible Buccs team that didn't even finish with a winning record. in the AFC they wouldn't even have made the playoffs.

They won 12 games with a backup QB and a not good version of Dak in what ended up being the hardest division in football. They are a really good team with sound schemes on both sides of the ball. Both coordinators do a great job with those units. They have talent in some key spots. They have really good weapons on offense and are pretty deep in that regard. They have multiple TEs who can do everything and they have some juice at WR. 

Pollard looked pretty beat up to me on Monday, particularly at the end of the game. They really ran him hard from the jump. He was quoted earlier in the year saying he prefers a lighter work load. I am certain that he has had more touches this year than any other season in his career. I will monitor his practice schedule this week. He is a great slasher and the big play potential is always there with him. Underrated power. 

They more or less did to the bucs what we did to the bucs. I dont understand how you can fault them for winning a playoff game 31 to 14 when one of those TDs came within the 2m warning. The best part about it was that they played all of their defensive starters late in the game when they were up 25 just because it was Brady. Parsons was limping pretty badly at the end of the first half. 

Apparently they talked all week about how the last road playoff win was in Candlestick during the 92 season. Their whole team grew up watching Brady so I am sure that win meant a lot to them. I am sure they will refocus but I think the blow out win only adds to the fact that this is a great spot for us because I am sure they will celebrate this one a little bit given the circumstances. They probably feel like they accomplished something, Mike Mccarthy for example probably feels a bit more secure this week and I think that is a good thing for us. I also think its slightly poetic that they get to come here the week after finally winning a road playoff game. Just in time to start that streak over at our new stadium. 

They looked really beat up to me. Lots of guys not moving well. They played a night game in the cold on the road, we saw what that did to our team last year. It matters a lot. 

Trayvon Diggs looked like he did not want to tackle anyone on Monday. I would send Kittle and Deebo to his side a lot. Run a play similar to what the chargers did on saturday night on 4th down and just try and get a RB out in the flat against him with the ball 1v1. Wear him down in the run game and then hit him with a double move and a patented Purdy pump fake.

Man, I LOVE how natural Purdy's pump fake is. I think he has pump faked more during this streak than all other 49ers QBs in the last 6 years combined. I have seriously been advocating for more pump fakes for as long as I can remember, and this is the first QB who has filled my pump fake quota. Its just second nature to him. Absolutely beautiful. 

Purdy will definitely need to be careful while scrambling, he doesn't tuck the ball when he runs, which is fine because he is typically looking to throw and his release/off platform throws tend to get rid of the ball quick. While his short area quickness is really a thing of beauty, Parsons has the type of speed that will chase you down from behind and make you fumble if you do not have the ball secured. 

Purdy's ball placement was erratic last week. I need him to sort that out. The weather should be a lot better this week, so no issues on that front. 

With Dak throwing as many INTs as he has, this game will undoubtedly come down to turnovers. Dak was better tonight, but the bucs coverages were soft and dallas seemed to exploit them rather easily. The bucs just were super discombobulated. Our coverage is too sound, that wont happen again, but Dak is still a borderline top 10 QB and perhaps the thumb was bothering him more previously than people realize and that he is finally getting healthy. 

This feels like a potential Hufanga game to me. He has come down to earth as teams have started to run the ball away from him. Seattle was checking runs to avoid him basically on every running play, they were creating numbers advantages that way. In the second half, we began to drop Huf back if they made a check, and Gipson would drop down into the box on the other side. I think teams tried to put him to sleep by avoiding him, to see if he gets anxious to make a play and abandon his assignment. He did a MUCH better job of simply doing his job last week and I think that showed a lot of poise out of a young player. Seems like he had his rough patch at the right time because it helped him correct those mistakes and get back to playing super fast. I expect Dallas to try and do something similar (run to the opposite side he is lined up on when he is in the box). 

Our offense puts sooo much pressure on other teams. They know they need to score a lot so they start to press and that is when we start to really inflict negative plays upon them. It has happened time and time again late in games. Its not dissimilar to the Colts when they had manning, get a lead, make the other team one dimensional, then tee off on them. So I really think we need to just continue to keep our foot on the gas on offense because the best way to win games is to.... score more than your opponent. lol 

7 hours ago, NFL Network said:

I agree the 2 main rivals are Cowboys & Packers b/c both of those foes took away SB's from the Niners from the Steve Young led Niners in the 90's. If not for those 2 teams Steve may have won 4 SB's as well to go along with Joe Montana as whomever came out of the AFC was lamb to the wolves!

I'd easily put the Giants over the Packers. From Hostetler to Eli, they've robbed us of at least two Lombardi's.

Been awhile since we've seen them in the playoffs but those losses still sting to this day.

• Like 3