Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

A lot of talk about how the Cowboys can win, if they can stop the run, if they can protect Dak, if they can make some plays on defense. If "if" was a 5th we would all be drunk. When you have to list multiple potential things that need to happen for a team to beat another that means the odds are not in their favor.

I have thought Dallas was the threat from the beginning. They have the pass rush to give the Niners O line fits. That is it, that is where it ends for me. Their offense isn't special, the defense isn't special as a whole and they still have Mike McCarthy calling the shots. This game is simple. Run effectively because Dallas cannot stop the run to save their lives. Dallas has an aggressive defense. So use it against them. Start the game screening them to death and using play action to open up the run. I would imagine Dallas will sell out to stop the run. When running use misdirection and window dressing pre snap to create confusion. 

I expect the defense to figure it out a little bit more this week. This defense isn't the same as it was mid season, but it doesn't have to be. They just need to be good and opportunistic, which they have been. This version of the 49ers has become an offense first team.

Niners win the game 34-17

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

A lot of talk about how the Cowboys can win, if they can stop the run, if they can protect Dak, if they can make some plays on defense. If "if" was a 5th we would all be drunk. When you have to list multiple potential things that need to happen for a team to beat another that means the odds are not in their favor.

I have thought Dallas was the threat from the beginning. They have the pass rush to give the Niners O line fits. That is it, that is where it ends for me. Their offense isn't special, the defense isn't special as a whole and they still have Mike McCarthy calling the shots. This game is simple. Run effectively because Dallas cannot stop the run to save their lives. Dallas has an aggressive defense. So use it against them. Start the game screening them to death and using play action to open up the run. I would imagine Dallas will sell out to stop the run. When running use misdirection and window dressing pre snap to create confusion. 

I expect the defense to figure it out a little bit more this week. This defense isn't the same as it was mid season, but it doesn't have to be. They just need to be good and opportunistic, which they have been. This version of the 49ers has become an offense first team.

I agree with this. Just Ram the ball down their throats. And when they sell out to stop the run, take the shots down the field. There is no reason we shouldn't win this game. All these posts saying the Niners should win, but I can see them losing. We are not losing this game. And like someone posted, if we can't win with this team now, then we aren't winning anytime soon.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Ok I understand the Niners are favorites but that is only b/c the game is at home hence the 3.5 point spread and thus the main advantage the Niners have over the Cowboys is home field.

On paper this game is a bit of a toss up in some ways and in some other ways I see the Cowboys being able to expose the Niners. First the Cowboys defense is going to be a pain to score on since they can force turnovers and sack the QB. I know the Cowboys run defense is suspect but if they stack the box then I for see some problems moving the ball. Eventually the Niners are going to have to win a game the same way they did with Jimmy in 2019 & 2021 but I don't know if they can win that way against the Cowboys. 

Also I'm not that confident the Niners defense can hold the Cowboys offense in check b/c if Dak gets protection then he's going to exploit the Niners pass coverage weaknesses as they can be had in the passing. Another issue will be the mobility of Dak since he's not a sitting duck as would have been the case if they had drawn Kirk Cousins in this round. I see Dak taking off and scrambling for first downs when the play breaks down. If the Niners are only able to rush/pressure but only get air or hit Dak after he throws then its gonna be big trouble since they'll move the sticks.

The bottom line is that the Niners will eventually have to brace themselves for a rookie Brock Purdy to show and if that happens can they win with that? I know they won a few with Jimmy but it eventually caught up to them against the Chiefs & Rams.

1 hour ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Their offense is one of the highest scoring offenses in the league since Dak came back. I feel reasonably sure that they will give the defense some fits. Schultz, Pollard and Lamb are legit. Every time they give the ball to Zeke I will probably cheer lol 

But I agree that we just need to make sure that we run effectively and that should be the dub.  Coming off a short week with travel, we should be able to really push them off the line in the run game and grind them down by the end of the game. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Their offense is one of the highest scoring offenses in the league since Dak came back. I feel reasonably sure that they will give the defense some fits. Schultz, Pollard and Lamb are legit. Every time they give the ball to Zeke I will probably cheer lol 

But I agree that we just need to make sure that we run effectively and that should be the dub.  Coming off a short week with travel, we should be able to really push them off the line in the run game and grind them down by the end of the game. 

Ok lets say the Niners run game gets stuffed and it keeps bringing up 3rd & long? Then what do they do b/c then the Cowboys are gonna get pressure on Purdy and force him to make mistakes. With that being said what is the contingency plan if the running game is not working? I don't think having Brock throw it every down is a recipe for success. I'm praying for the defense & special teams to steal the game like they did last year in Lambeau. 

6 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Ok lets say the Niners run game gets stuffed and it keeps bringing up 3rd & long? Then what do they do b/c then the Cowboys are gonna get pressure on Purdy and force him to make mistakes. With that being said what is the contingency plan if the running game is not working? I don't think having Brock throw it every down is a recipe for success. I'm praying for the defense & special teams to steal the game like they did last year in Lambeau. 

If you can't run, winning the game becomes much harder. Not impossible, but it does get harder. \You either keep running it and hoping you start to wear it down and create some space, or you hope that Purdy can get the job done on the third and longs. Maybe you start passing on 1st down more often to make them adjust to the pass so that you set up the run to create space. 

Brock doesn't have to be special. He just has to do some basic stuff and not turn the ball over and we will pretty much be in any game to some extent 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Last wk our run game wasn’t the greatest minus CMC’s long run. With that being said our crossing routes and quick dump offs to Deebo helped. While yes I agree I don’t think Purdy will be able to evade the way he did against Seattle, I think Kyle will call plays for him to get the ball out quicker. At the minimum we can run some delay runs to slow down their blitz as well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFL Network said:

Ok I understand the Niners are favorites but that is only b/c the game is at home hence the 3.5 point spread and thus the main advantage the Niners have over the Cowboys is home field.

On paper this game is a bit of a toss up in some ways and in some other ways I see the Cowboys being able to expose the Niners. First the Cowboys defense is going to be a pain to score on since they can force turnovers and sack the QB. I know the Cowboys run defense is suspect but if they stack the box then I for see some problems moving the ball. Eventually the Niners are going to have to win a game the same way they did with Jimmy in 2019 & 2021 but I don't know if they can win that way against the Cowboys. 

Also I'm not that confident the Niners defense can hold the Cowboys offense in check b/c if Dak gets protection then he's going to exploit the Niners pass coverage weaknesses as they can be had in the passing. Another issue will be the mobility of Dak since he's not a sitting duck as would have been the case if they had drawn Kirk Cousins in this round. I see Dak taking off and scrambling for first downs when the play breaks down. If the Niners are only able to rush/pressure but only get air or hit Dak after he throws then its gonna be big trouble since they'll move the sticks.

The bottom line is that the Niners will eventually have to brace themselves for a rookie Brock Purdy to show and if that happens can they win with that? I know they won a few with Jimmy but it eventually caught up to them against the Chiefs & Rams.

If, if, if. They will get pressure on Dak, the Niners defense has the 6th best QBR against opposing offenses, so even when they dont get pressure coverage should hold up much more often than not. Niners D has been extremely opportunistic during the stretch where they have had coverage lapses and Dak is a walking turnover this year. Dak runs for 15 yards a game this season. Your theory that he will scramble around and extend drives has absolutely zero merit based on his unwillingness to leave the pocket this season. He runs less than 4 times a game. 

The Cowboys do not have a player on defense that can cover CMC. Not one of their LB's, not one of their DB's. They dont have an answer for the physicality of the Niners offense. There isn't a single offensive weapon on the Cowboys that presents a problem and that isn't a slight on any of the players. Schultz is fine, Lamb is good, Pollard is good, but they all disappear throughout games. 

You say that the Niners have to be prepared for rookie Brock Purdy, but do they? What if he never does? What if the first half of last week was just that? You entire post reeks of you waiting for the shoe to drop when it comes to Purdy. I hate to tell you, but I just don't see that happening. If this team loses it isn't going to be because Purdy goes out and throws up on himself.

35 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Last wk our run game wasn’t the greatest minus CMC’s long run. With that being said our crossing routes and quick dump offs to Deebo helped. While yes I agree I don’t think Purdy will be able to evade the way he did against Seattle, I think Kyle will call plays for him to get the ball out quicker. At the minimum we can run some delay runs to slow down their blitz as well 

Yes I agree with the short/quick passing game but will those completed passes get the necessary RAC/YAC yards that are needed to constantly move the sticks on the Cowboys defense? The last thing we need is Brock just completing passes beyond the line of scrimmage for short gains that lead to punts. This is one of those games in which you'd like to have a dual threat QB to really throw the defense off balance.

8 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Yes I agree with the short/quick passing game but will those completed passes get the necessary RAC/YAC yards that are needed to constantly move the sticks on the Cowboys defense? The last thing we need is Brock just completing passes beyond the line of scrimmage for short gains that lead to punts. This is one of those games in which you'd like to have a dual threat QB to really throw the defense off balance.

You are aware he would be throwing short/quick passes to Kittle, CMC, Deebo, etc.  Short passes do not equal short gains in the offense.  Shanahan proves year after year the inflated Yac numbers are here to stay.

Its like, what if the Cowboys stop the passing game, running game, and are able to score at will on the 9ers defense?  How will the 49ers win then? It's not exactly a strawman, there are just a lot of if's. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2

The last five times we have made the playoffs, we have made it at least to the NFCCG. Let's see if we can make it six for six.

2011 - NFCCG

2012- SB

2013 - NFCCG

2019 - SB

2021 - NFCCG

2022 - ?

This is unfortunately the year we make it to the SB...................and lose 😥.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

You are aware he would be throwing short/quick passes to Kittle, CMC, Deebo, etc.  Short passes do not equal short gains in the offense.  Shanahan proves year after year the inflated Yac numbers are here to stay.

Its like, what if the Cowboys stop the passing game, running game, and are able to score at will on the 9ers defense?  How will the 49ers win then? It's not exactly a strawman, there are just a lot of if's. 

I know the RAC/YAC numbers have been great but not sure how the Cowboys defense defends those plays at the LB/secondary positions. I know the Cowboys had a rookie CB playing opposite Trevon Diggs playing really well this year and thus staying away from Diggs might back fire.