Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Purdy is up and down, but a lot of credit here. Refuses to lose us games. 

Hell, we are not even winning in spite of him

He is poised and that's probably his best trait at the moment. There's some limitations and the Cowboys kind of exposed some of that but he is a gamer and you have to respect how he never gets discouraged when he has shaky moments. 

• Like 1

PFF quick take: 

Offensive spotlight: Big players make big plays in big games, and 49ers tight end George Kittle made them exactly when his team needed him to on Sunday night. Kittle hauled in all five of his targets for 95 yards and four first downs, the best of which was a one-handed, 30-yard grab to move the Niners into scoring position in the third quarter.

Four of Kittle's catches went for 15 or more yards, and he averaged a game-leading 3.28 yards per route run. Since Week 13, he's generated a 143.3 passer rating when targeted.

Defensive spotlight: Niners linebacker Fred Warner put on an outstanding display against the Cowboys and will likely come out of reviews with an 85.0-plus PFF grade. He was targeted five times in coverage but gave up just two receptions for 15 yards. He snagged an interception, didn't give up a single first down and added a team-leading three run stops for good measure.

Rookie spotlight: Brock Purdy didn't do much wrong on Sunday, and that's exactly what the San Francisco 49ers needed from him. He went 19-of-29 for 214 yards, and while he didn't throw a touchdown pass, he came away with one big-time throw and zero turnover-worthy plays. He got the ball out in less than 3.0 seconds on average, and he threw just eight passes further than 10 yards downfield.

Offensive line spotlight: Despite the result, the Cowboys offensive line did its part. On first review, the gave up just five pressures — all hurries — from 40 pass-blocking snaps. The 49ers gave up nine hurries from 33 pass-blocking snaps.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-divisional-round-game-recap-san-francisco-49ers-19-dallas-cowboys-12

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Man, I want to resign Jimmie W

One of our best players on the team and has been during the Shanny era. He's made so many big plays in the postseason from 2019 to now. Has turned into a very good NB and that was not the case early in the season. 

I want to shout out Hufanga as well who has not blown any coverages as of late and how well he is timimg those blitzes. I actually look at same of his missed tackles differently after he and Sherman explained what fans don't know of what he is told to do and how Ryans encourages him trying to blow plays up as there is usually someone behind him cleaning up the tackle. Ryans wants disruption and thinks those kind of plays help a defense more than a player playing it safe and just wrapping up. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Going to need better next week (either from the line or from purdy) because it's not going to be any easier

I will say that a good chunk of those to my mind, especially in the first half were well covered 2 and 3 man route play action passes. There isn’t much you can do when one of your two main options don’t break open but take the check down or scramble for your life. I was honestly pretty impressed with what the offensive line did. I think mostly what you have to do is adjust faster to the playaction game taken away by spreading the other team out with multiple routes and stressing more areas of coverage faster. But that’s just on first look. And the quick swing and screen game was eaten up by truly special outside block defeats and tackling. There was just some tremendous effort on their end for the entire game. All they gave up all game were a few solid split zone runs, a couple of outside zones after the split zones had punished the pursuit (and the defense tired) and straight drop back concepts. The Shanahan special make a guy look good stuff got eaten for lunch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@Herodreamer79do you now agree that Quinn knows how to contain Shanny's offense? 

He certainly did so today... at least until his defense wore down. This was a much better defensive performance than last year. 

I stand by what I said though... last year was a blow out until jimmy screwed up. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

3 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Pete Carroll found the Brock Purdy blue print and teams are perfecting it. 

It's up to Purdy and Shanahan to adjust. 

Brock Purdy had his best game...maybe games against Seattle. No one adjusted after the first meeting really, and Dallas is the only team to play since the second meeting so a sample size of 1 isn't really valuable. Quinn knows Shanahan very well, and has a stack of talented players on defense. Shanahan had some stupid play calls. Don't think Purdy is a gimmick to be figured out more than he just ran into a buzzsaw along with the rest of the offense that kept getting beat upfront in the trenches. Anyone that stops a Shanahan running offense, you basically win no matter who the quarterback is. 49ers luckily squeaked by. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2