Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

Solak with a great breakdown here. 

Jimmie Ward does not get enough love from our fanbase. He is one of the best players on our team. 

I think we may franchise tag him. Would rather pay him what he is worth but I really do not want to lose such a great player who is one of our best leaders. 

Run up the credit card bill. The window is NOW. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Solak with a great breakdown here. 

Jimmie Ward does not get enough love from our fanbase. He is one of the best players on our team. 

I think we may franchise tag him. Would rather pay him what he is worth but I really do not want to lose such a great player who is one of our best leaders. 

Run up the credit card bill. The window is NOW. 

I've been one of Ward's biggest supporters for years. Absolutely one of the best and more importantly one of the most RESPECTED players on the team. The players on the team love this man and rate him very highly...and for good reason. For him to make this transformation from the slot is nothing short of remarkable. It started out VERY shaky for him but he's gotten better and better and now is playing like one of the best NB's in the league....After he played like one of the best safeties in the league the past few years. I want this man to be a Niner lifer but not sure if that happens unfortunately. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I completely forgot about Kinlaw, honestly. It's pretty telling when TY McGill is making more plays than him. Hell, Dwumfour was making more plays!

Kinlaw needs to be completely healthy next year to have a chance of making football a career. If he has another year like this one, he's not getting a second contract. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't totally agree with those PFF grades for Kinlaw. How many yards did the Cowboys rush for when he was in the game and what was their backs YPC? I thought he handled double teams fairly well and stood his ground allowing the backers to get through. 

PFF grades are a joke and shouldn't be counted for anything. Maybe not hearing Kinlaw's name is a good thing and means he's doing his job, but he was billed as a pocket disruptor and he hasn't done much of that since coming back. 

• Like 1

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

PFF grades are a joke and shouldn't be counted for anything. Maybe not hearing Kinlaw's name is a good thing and means he's doing his job, but he was billed as a pocket disruptor and he hasn't done much of that since coming back. 

I'm not saying he has played great or anything, but like when he was in the game, I noticed him holding well on double teams and not getting pushed around. I will pay closer attention when I watch the game over....For the third time ha.

The explosive disruptor Kinlaw was in college is not the same guy anymore. Dude obviously lost some of that with all the injuries he has dealt with. Next year he won't be guaranteed a starting job in TC and will have to earn it.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not saying he has played great or anything, but like when he was in the game, I noticed him holding well on double teams and not getting pushed around. I will pay closer attention when I watch the game over....For the third time ha.

The explosive disruptor Kinlaw was in college is not the same guy anymore. Dude obviously lost some of that with all the injuries he has dealt with. Next year he won't be guaranteed a starting job in TC and will have to earn it.

I still haven't watched the All-22 yet, but I'll try to keep an eye on him. I want him to be good, but my confidence in that is dwindling. 

Diving into the All-22 now and I'm at our second possession - some thoughts:

• Parson and Odighizuwa came to play. They both were making their presence felt early and often. McG got whooped by Odighizuwa on run play that 1 yard and the 31 yard strike to Kittle. McG's helmet was in Purdy's face while he was throwing the ball.
  • Purdy's deep shot to Aiyuk in the endzone on the second possession was aggressive and a bad decision. It was a roll out to the left with levels concept. Aiyuk deep crosser, Deebo medium crosser, Kittle shallow block and release. Both Deebo and Kittle were open for easy 1st down pickups, but Purdy saw Aiyuk open in the endzone and was locked on. Problem was Parsons was on Purdy's heels and Purdy must not have felt confident in making this throw on the run, so he stopped and threw it with Parsons draped over him. If he made this throw on the run, it might've been a TD. If he didn't feel comfortable with that, he needs to hit Deebo or Kittle here. Physical limitations and inexperience were on full display here. 
  • Like 3

3rd possession:

• Start the drive off with an immediate 6 yard sack. This one is Purdy's fault. It's a PA roll out to the right and Deebo is on a block and release and he's open. Juice and Aiyuk are running crossers and both are pretty covered. Purdy holds onto the ball waiting for something to open deep and gets swallowed up. Again, Purdy trying to do too much early on. Take what the defense is giving you. 
  • Big boy pants throw from Purdy to hit Aiyuk for a huge 1st down on 3rd & 16. Aiyuk ran an amazing route on this to get wide open. He's so smooth. 
  • Purdy, again, doing too much on the last play of the drive before kicking the FG inside the 10 yard line. Purdy actually did have Kittle open in the corner of the endzone but didn't pull the trigger. He also had Deebo open on a slant right in front of him but didn't seem to see it. He scrambled to the left and his turn around throw away here. I don't know where Purdy's eyes were on this play, but Kyle dialed up a two TD routes and Purdy missed them both. I think he panicked. 
Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

3rd possession:

• Start the drive off with an immediate 6 yard sack. This one is Purdy's fault. It's a PA roll out to the right and Deebo is on a block and release and he's open. Juice and Aiyuk are running crossers and both are pretty covered. Purdy holds onto the ball waiting for something to open deep and gets swallowed up. Again, Purdy trying to do too much early on. Take what the defense is giving you. 
  • Big boy pants throw from Purdy to hit Aiyuk for a huge 1st down on 3rd & 16. Aiyuk ran an amazing route on this to get wide open. He's so smooth. 
  • Purdy, again, doing too much on the last play of the drive before kicking the FG inside the 10 yard line. Purdy actually did have Kittle open in the corner of the endzone but didn't pull the trigger. He also had Deebo open on a slant right in front of him but didn't seem to see it. He scrambled to the left and his turn around throw away here. I don't know where Purdy's eyes were on this play, but Kyle dialed up a two TD routes and Purdy missed them both. I think he panicked. 

We are starting to see some of the give and take with Purdy against the pass rush. Jimmy can't break the pocket or anything, but he alleviates a ton of pressure with how point and click he is. 

Purdy breaks pocket too early sometimes on phantom pressure, will hold the ball too long sometimes, try to make some things happen beyond the initial rush. Sometimes it is good, sometimes not so much. Some of this will even out with experience. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

We are starting to see some of the give and take with Purdy against the pass rush. Jimmy can't break the pocket or anything, but he alleviates a ton of pressure with how point and click he is. 

Purdy breaks pocket too early sometimes on phantom pressure, will hold the ball too long sometimes, try to make some things happen beyond the initial rush. Sometimes it is good, sometimes not so much. Some of this will even out with experience. 

Absolutely. Jimmy probably completes some of these throws to the open receiver right in front of him. Purdy looks for the kill shot and sometimes its great and sometimes it's not. 

I think he's going to have to take what the D gives him this weekend and not hold onto the ball. Keeping the drive alive is going to be vital to winning. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've been one of Ward's biggest supporters for years. Absolutely one of the best and more importantly one of the most RESPECTED players on the team. The players on the team love this man and rate him very highly...and for good reason. For him to make this transformation from the slot is nothing short of remarkable. It started out VERY shaky for him but he's gotten better and better and now is playing like one of the best NB's in the league....After he played like one of the best safeties in the league the past few years. I want this man to be a Niner lifer but not sure if that happens unfortunately. 

I almost included you in the post

"Jimmie does not get enough love from everyone except J" 

Jimmie was asked about Demo after the game and he said something along the lines of "good things happen when you let guys stay at one position". He clearly is not happy with the position switch overall but you cant argue the recent results. 

• Like 1