Jim Schwartz hired as DC

sdrawkcab321

Schwartz probably got the nod because he's known for his super aggressive even front/4-3 attack style defense as opposed to Flores as an odd front guy. He's also a WIDE 9 DE guy...he's also not generally a guy who blitzes (Yay...).

He puts a lot of emphasis on the DT position and front 4 as a whole.

He's also a heavy Cover 1 and Cover 3 guy but leans more towards Cover 1 man with some press concepts, which fit our secondary much better.

Schwartz was my second choice, so I'm cool with this. If we had hired Flores, there's a good chance we would have been looking for another DC in a year or two since Flores could end up being a HC again soon enough, and maybe even this offseason. Schwartz is less likely to get another HC gig so he could potentially be our DC for a long time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Schwartz was my second choice, so I'm cool with this. If we had hired Flores, there's a good chance we would have been looking for another DC in a year or two since Flores could end up being a HC again soon enough, and maybe even this offseason. Schwartz is less likely to get another HC gig so he could potentially be our DC for a long time.

Looking for a new DC with 2 more 3rd round picks though.

• Like 3

So with this hire, does that change what our biggest needs our on defense? I mean, they're still DL, LB and a true FS, but with Schwartz's scheme I'm thinking we'll place the most emphasis on targeting some defensive linemen this offseason. Unless Schwartz likes what we have and just thinks our personnel there simply needs better coaching.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

So with this hire, does that change what our biggest needs our on defense? I mean, they're still DL, LB and a true FS, but with Schwartz's scheme I'm thinking we'll place the most emphasis on targeting some defensive linemen this offseason. Unless Schwartz likes what we have and just thinks our personnel there simply needs better coaching.

I think we look for a Jeff Simmons type DT, wouldn’t be surprised if we tried to sign Teair Tart from Tennessee as well

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DawgX said:

12 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I think we look for a Jeff Simmons type DT, wouldn’t be surprised if we tried to sign Teair Tart from Tennessee as well

Yeah, Schwartz is VERY BIG on getting a pass rush and disrupting the LOS in the running game as well. The entire thing is predicated off of the DE in a Wide 9 (hi Myles), the interior DT disrupting the LOS, the backside DE containing, with the LBs spilling and plugging.