Draft a Runningback!

GetDownandDirty

Sitting here watching Oragon vs Oragon State on ESPN2. Royce Freeman for Oragon is just what the Lions need in the backfield! In 7 carries he has 79 yds & a TD.  They compare him to Hershel Walker & I see why. Finds the holes & runs over people at the second level. Very good blocker & catches the ball like a wide receiver. Projected late 2nd round to 3rd round because he doesn’t have explosive speed. Guess what... we have drafted explosive speed & got squat. I want to see the Lions get a grinder/thumper who can move the chains & find the end zone!

Dam bro you got you a man crush..

He already has imo a significant injury for his running style 

Idk he just scares me and no way I could spend a 2ndrp on him.. 

We shall see how the off-season goes for him especially with better competition. Maybe 4thrd for me they just need much more than a rb for being who they are a passing team..im gonna hate seeing all these mock drafts with us taking a rb high..i get it but I would rather keep trying to get ol 

I just can't believe we can't find a rb for what we need..i would sign a vet that is known to get them 3 tough yards keep riddick..look for one or maybe 2 later in the draft. 

On 11/26/2017 at 4:34 PM, Rockcity2 said:

Dam bro you got you a man crush..

He already has imo a significant injury for his running style 

Idk he just scares me and no way I could spend a 2ndrp on him.. 

We shall see how the off-season goes for him especially with better competition. Maybe 4thrd for me they just need much more than a rb for being who they are a passing team..im gonna hate seeing all these mock drafts with us taking a rb high..i get it but I would rather keep trying to get ol 

I just can't believe we can't find a rb for what we need..i would sign a vet that is known to get them 3 tough yards keep riddick..look for one or maybe 2 later in the draft. 

This. You can keep swapping out parts of the engine to make it go faster but if your pistons aren’t firing right, you aren’t getting anywhere. 

I’d love to add a dynamic RB who can grind out tough yards. At this point though it would just mean we may make it beyond the LOS on more run plays instead of caught in the backfield. The problem with the run game is scheme and personnel along the OL and IMO it starts at center. 

3 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

This. You can keep swapping out parts of the engine to make it go faster but if your pistons aren’t firing right, you aren’t getting anywhere. 

I’d love to add a dynamic RB who can grind out tough yards. At this point though it would just mean we may make it beyond the LOS on more run plays instead of caught in the backfield. The problem with the run game is scheme and personnel along the OL and IMO it starts at center. 

Exactly

On 11/28/2017 at 9:51 AM, Rockcity2 said:

Exactly

I've got to agree with this as well. The scheme and coaching have not been good. Reiff played well before then we ran him out of town. He goes to Minnesota and he looks great. Wagner is good comes here and is average as best. That's scheme and coaching. But having said that we need a legit RB. Ameer sucks. I HATED the pick when we made it. I had this feeling that whole offseason that we'd take him and in true lions fashion we did.

He's a third down back but we already have a better on in riddick so he's a redundant player. 

I think you're right about Swanson. The pivot is the linchpin in so many good lines and we just don't have a stud there. Upgrade that and upgrade the RB and we might have a legit offense. 

7 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I've got to agree with this as well. The scheme and coaching have not been good. Reiff played well before then we ran him out of town. He goes to Minnesota and he looks great. Wagner is good comes here and is average as best. That's scheme and coaching. But having said that we need a legit RB. Ameer sucks. I HATED the pick when we made it. I had this feeling that whole offseason that we'd take him and in true lions fashion we did.

He's a third down back but we already have a better on in riddick so he's a redundant player. 

I think you're right about Swanson. The pivot is the linchpin in so many good lines and we just don't have a stud there. Upgrade that and upgrade the RB and we might have a legit offense. 

There are some nice options for Center in this draft too. Waiting to see if Quinn feels the same..

On 11/29/2017 at 8:33 PM, Millenhater said:

I think ameer has a bit more potential for a big play than Riddick but he needs a lot of help. He’s not very good at creating plays. He can make some guys miss here or there but I don’t think he can break a tackle to save his life and he needs a lot of space to make a good play. Couple that with bad ball skills and he’s not what the lions need at all. 

On 12/1/2017 at 9:26 PM, theuntouchable said:

I think ameer has a bit more potential for a big play than Riddick but he needs a lot of help. He’s not very good at creating plays. He can make some guys miss here or there but I don’t think he can break a tackle to save his life and he needs a lot of space to make a good play. Couple that with bad ball skills and he’s not what the lions need at all. 

He doesn't have breakaway speed. I think he ran a 4.6 40. He fumbles. Has small hands. Doesn't have speed. Can't break tackles. He's just quick which is why he never gets the long run. I mean the dude got caught on a 100 yard kick return. 

Another RB might help, but the real issue is the blocking scheme. Half of the time they basically just have the OL base block and ask the RB to ram straight into the pile or hope of hole somehow opens up. They used Golladay as a lead blocker on the failed 3rd & 1 attempt...the RB's aren't the issue, it's the coaches on this team that don't know how running the ball works.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Another RB might help, but the real issue is the blocking scheme. Half of the time they basically just have the OL base block and ask the RB to ram straight into the pile or hope of hole somehow opens up. They used Golladay as a lead blocker on the failed 3rd & 1 attempt...the RB's aren't the issue, it's the coaches on this team that don't know how running the ball works.

I think it’s a bit of both

They probably should draft 2. Maybe sign one and draft one.

Riddick can stay in his role, he'll probably be able to do that for 3-4 more years. Abdullah should be Riddick's backup. Abdullah has no speed and reduced quickness from when he started. He's useless as a lead runner, but could probably do what Riddick does except not as well.

I've been thinking why not draft a fb capable of catching..  You can find them probably late in the draft. We will just never be a team that should be drafting a high rb imo. 

They are a couple in this draft.. the best college fbs don't go until late..id give it a shot. If you can get that kid from OU or Samuels late why not 

Someone who can pick up blitzes catch a little and get you tough couple yards

Archived