New GM: Ran Carthon

deeluxx3

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

So talking about Trey Lance.

Sounds like Lance was the scouts pick and Kyle Shanahan wanted Mac Jones.  Mainly because his offense doesn't call for the athleticism or strong arm. It needs accuracy timing. All the things that Purdy is good at, similar to Jimmy G and even Mac Jones to a degree.

Scouts didn't think Jones was worth a top pick like that because he is limited. Which he has shown to be. 

So what kind of offense will we be? Do we need a QB like Lance/Tannehiill, or can we draft a lower round guy or go with someone not aas high profile and see success? 

I think we're all assuming that Kelly is the likely hire.  And if that's the case, we'll probably have an offense somewhat similar to the Texans while he was OC there.

In 2019:
They had 434 rushes (87 by QBs) to 534 passing attempts.  Watson rushed for 413 yards.  TEs accounted for 106 targets, RBs for 79, and WRs for 332.  Carlos Hyde got the majority of the snaps at RB, with 245 attempts to Duke Johnson's 83.

In 2020:
They had 344 rushes (90 by Watson) to 546 passing attempts, so it became more pass heavy.  Watson rushed for 444 yards.  TEs accounted for 100 targets, RBs for 89, and WRs for 335.  RB was more spread out, with David Johnson getting 147 attempts to Duke Johnsons's 77.

Then, in 2021:
They had 420 rushes (37 by QBs) to 546 passing attempts.  Tyrod Taylor rushed 19 times for 151 yards and passed 91 times for 150.  Mills rushed 18 times for 44 yards and passed 263 times.  TEs accounted for 100 targets, RBs for 104, and WRs for 319.  RB was even more distributed, with Burkhead getting 122 rushes, Ingram 92, Johnson 67, and Lindsay 50.

It's hard to tell whether their QBs just tended to run a lot when they had mobile QBs (Taylor and Watson), or they explicitly called more QB runs.  But all three seasons, the Texans had one WR get the vast majority of the targets, the RB load spread out more and more to a RB by committee approach, and TEs got the same percentage of the targets, while RB targets went up.  That doesn't tell us a ton, but we do see the offense change quite a bit when they switch from Deshaun Watson to Davis Mills.  They run the ball a lot more and throw a lot more passes to RBs.  If nothing else, that certainly makes it look like Kelly at least did something that Downing never did: tailored his offense to the talent available.

Kelly also pretty consistently got balls into talented players' (i.e. the top receiver) hands.  Their No. 1 receiver in 2019 (Hopkins) got 45.2% of the WR targets.  In 20 and 21, it was Cooks, getting 35.5% and 42% of the WR targets, respectively.  Compare that to AJ Brown last year, only getting 33.8% of the WR targets in 2021.

Like I said, not much can be seen just from the numbers, but it certainly looks a lot better than what we had, if nothing else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I think we're all assuming that Kelly is the likely hire.  And if that's the case, we'll probably have an offense somewhat similar to the Texans while he was OC there.

In 2019:
They had 434 rushes (87 by QBs) to 534 passing attempts.  Watson rushed for 413 yards.  TEs accounted for 106 targets, RBs for 79, and WRs for 332.  Carlos Hyde got the majority of the snaps at RB, with 245 attempts to Duke Johnson's 83.

In 2020:
They had 344 rushes (90 by Watson) to 546 passing attempts, so it became more pass heavy.  Watson rushed for 444 yards.  TEs accounted for 100 targets, RBs for 89, and WRs for 335.  RB was more spread out, with David Johnson getting 147 attempts to Duke Johnsons's 77.

Then, in 2021:
They had 420 rushes (37 by QBs) to 546 passing attempts.  Tyrod Taylor rushed 19 times for 151 yards and passed 91 times for 150.  Mills rushed 18 times for 44 yards and passed 263 times.  TEs accounted for 100 targets, RBs for 104, and WRs for 319.  RB was even more distributed, with Burkhead getting 122 rushes, Ingram 92, Johnson 67, and Lindsay 50.

It's hard to tell whether their QBs just tended to run a lot when they had mobile QBs (Taylor and Watson), or they explicitly called more QB runs.  But all three seasons, the Texans had one WR get the vast majority of the targets, the RB load spread out more and more to a RB by committee approach, and TEs got the same percentage of the targets, while RB targets went up.  That doesn't tell us a ton, but we do see the offense change quite a bit when they switch from Deshaun Watson to Davis Mills.  They run the ball a lot more and throw a lot more passes to RBs.  If nothing else, that certainly makes it look like Kelly at least did something that Downing never did: tailored his offense to the talent available.

Kelly also pretty consistently got balls into talented players' (i.e. the top receiver) hands.  Their No. 1 receiver in 2019 (Hopkins) got 45.2% of the WR targets.  In 20 and 21, it was Cooks, getting 35.5% and 42% of the WR targets, respectively.  Compare that to AJ Brown last year, only getting 33.8% of the WR targets in 2021.

Like I said, not much can be seen just from the numbers, but it certainly looks a lot better than what we had, if nothing else.

throwing the ball? to your best receiver? not sure about all this…

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Only issue is if he's good, he's gone in a year as he'd have proven he isn't a product of Reid and Mahomes. Then you're right back at square one.

Well give me a just fired HC then so we know he wont leave for at least two to three years lol

8 minutes ago, 615finest said:

So did Cunningham turn us down too or am I reading into that wrong

I don't think he did. I think he just get the job here. Was offered Arizona turned them down. 

I'm guessing. He wanted this job, turned down Arizona. Monti took Arizona knowing he wasn't in the final 3. 

I think the media may have been behind on the timeline. 

The Niners traded Buckner who is a beast.

I know the answer....but for conversation..

Is there any circumstance you would accept them trading Big Jeff?

My 2 cents, these are 2 very different situations. Niners had a surplus of lineman. They had spent what 3 1st found picks on their line?  Bosa, Armstead, Buckner. 

Jeff is the man here. 

Just now, KingTitan said:

My 2 cents, these are 2 very different situations. Niners had a surplus of lineman. They had spent what 3 1st found picks on their line?  Bosa, Armstead, Buckner. 

Jeff is the man here. 

If someone gives an insane haul, sure. But it’ll have to be more than just a first round pick.

16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Jeff is the man here. 

I'd really like to avoid trading our 2 best players in back to back seasons

Jeff is top 5 NFL player ceiling...must pay

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Jeff is the man here. 

Do I want him traded? Absolutely not. However I can see a scenario come draft day that might be convincing. Say the Bears stay at one and take the best defender at one. Houston probably takes a QB. Cardinals are on the clock at 3 and the defender they wanted was taken at one. I could see them making a call to us about Jeff.

Just for conversation sake. Say they offer pick number 3, DeAndre Hopkins, and a one or two next year, for Simmons? Is that enough? 

I'd be really thinking about it. An opportunity to get a QB at 3 and still have options at 11 and we get a superstar WR. 

17 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

Just for conversation sake. Say they offer pick number 3, DeAndre Hopkins, and a one or two next year, for Simmons? Is that enough? 

If they offer that, you absolutely take it, lol.  If you're looking at Jalen Carter (on a rookie contract), Deandre Hopkins, and another first for Simmons, you take it.  That is a huge haul.

If it was just the top 3 pick, I say no way.

Edited by Daniel