Divisional Round GDT: Cowboys @ 49ers - Keep it Rolling

D82

17 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

This game will come down to one thing. How much Parsons and D-Law and the interior pass rush can harass this rookie QB. Plain and simple.

Purdy hasn’t really had to face a top pass rush yet. Take that back, he faced Arizona who has a pass rush win rate of 47% (4th in league), however Arizona had no offense during that game and Arizona’s defense was gassed from being on field so much.

Dallas is 2nd in the league with a 52% Pass Rush win percentage. If they can get home, could be a long night for Purdy. 

I don’t know, man, Shanahan isn’t a fool. And we saw what type of game plan he implemented against us with Garoppolo last year. I really doubt he’s going to let Micah have a chance to ruin the game, given where their strengths lie on offense.

I suspect we will see a lot of their running game, screen game, and quick passes. And a lot of stuff going horizontally. I will be surprised if Brock Purdy is sitting back there in the pocket for more than a couple of seconds, unless we can open up a substantial lead early. 

My biggest hope, knowing that, is that Diggs or Bland can be opportunistic and snag a couple of picks. Because I really don’t think we are built to stop them on a down-to-down basis.

16 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

I mean are you really going to pretend like the Niners haven’t been hands down one of the best overall teams this year? For the sake of pushing your agenda before the game is even played? Despite the fact that Purdy and his team have won 11 in a row? And yet it would be a total indictment of Dak personally if his team were to fall short regardless of anything that may or may not actually go on in the game? That’s impressively ridiculous.

Think you’re confusing the word ‘homer’ with ‘realist’. 

Nah… See, I’ve been told by the majority of this forum that you need a $50M/yr QB to win in the NFL.  I’ve been old that it doesn’t matter how good the supporting cast is.  It’s all about keeping the QB even if we overpay him.  

So, I fully expect those same people to step up right now.  We are playing against a rookie third string back up who was the last pick in the draft.  These guys gotta be licking their chops in anticipation for showing off what our $50m QB is going to do against their league minimum guy.  

Gotta be honest.  The Cowboys were my least favorite to meet in the playoffs(outside of maybe Philly), but here we are.  As much as it pains me to say it, but I honestly think people are too hard on the Cowboys.  Especially after beating the Bucs.  Like, yeah....the Bucs had no business being in the playoffs, but that's how winning the division works.  And, if y'all would have beat them by like 3 points, the Cowboys might have deserved some criticism.  But, that's not what happened.  Y'all trounced them.  Because, that's what good teams do to bad teams.  Not sure what was going on with your kicker, but it produced some great memes that made up for the lack of entertainment value of the game.  lol

Relying on my blood pressure medication this year in case it gets down to the wire like last year.  Just hope we all come out of this injury free so that whoever advances has a chance to succeed.  Good luck, y'all!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I’m way more concerned about Dallas’ hit n’ miss run D finding a way to limit SF in that department. They’ve  managed about 170/gm since Purdy took over. Meanwhile, Dallas finished the season giving up 192, 87, 97, and 151 respectively. Hankins should help out, but much like last yr, I don’t like the odds here.

THIS….      My only take is we have much better playmakers on D than we did last year.  Our interior D is greatly improved.  We have been gashed but it has been on the outside.  This is why I hope LVE Barr Clark Wilson Hooper can all make plays containing their skill players on the edge and over the middle. These players  are a huge upgrade over what we had going for us last year.  For sure though we need to step up our 3rd down D. 

2 hours ago, Ataal said:

Gotta be honest.  The Cowboys were my least favorite to meet in the playoffs(outside of maybe Philly), but here we are.  As much as it pains me to say it, but I honestly think people are too hard on the Cowboys.  Especially after beating the Bucs.  Like, yeah....the Bucs had no business being in the playoffs, but that's how winning the division works.  And, if y'all would have beat them by like 3 points, the Cowboys might have deserved some criticism.  But, that's not what happened.  Y'all trounced them.  Because, that's what good teams do to bad teams.  Not sure what was going on with your kicker, but it produced some great memes that made up for the lack of entertainment value of the game.  lol

Relying on my blood pressure medication this year in case it gets down to the wire like last year.  Just hope we all come out of this injury free so that whoever advances has a chance to succeed.  Good luck, y'all!

I saw the most remarkable stat… every team SF played this year LOST the following week. I think that speaks to the physical nature in which SF plays the game.  Frankly that’s how football should be played.  And SF is built for playoff football.  IMO the only way we can win this game is sell out to stop the run and hope your rookie QB makes some mistakes.  We can’t win unless we win the TO battle.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

I saw the most remarkable stat… every team SF played this year LOST the following week. I think that speaks to the physical nature in which SF plays the game.  Frankly that’s how football should be played.  And SF is built for playoff football.  IMO the only way we can win this game is sell out to stop the run and hope your rookie QB makes some mistakes.  We can’t win unless we win the TO battle.

Maybe but don’t forget SF trailed at half so it’s not like they are unbearable as we are of course.  For me again limit the run yards up the middle keep them out of 3rd 3’s and No over 20 yard plays.  Miss tackles will be costly.  On O another game with no TO and only 2 penalties please. We have enough skilled players to also run a quick passing game but have to be smart with it.   Frankly on paper we are the better team it’s only they execute at times much better than we do on both sides of the ball 

I don't think San Fran's offensive approach to this game will be overly complicated.  They will run the ball until Dallas stops them.  I heard today that Dallas had four games this year where opponents ran for over 200 yards.  The Niners will pound the rock and use it to set up play action and some deep shots.  Ideally Dallas needs a fast start to put the Niners and Purdy in a hole.  Two or three turnovers and a big special teams play will help.  Dak was as good as I have seen him on Monday.  Hopefully the OL gives him time vs San Fran. If Dallas falls behind don't abandon the run.  If Dak throws 40+ times it will be trouble.  The Niners are not invincible but they are very good.  I agree with one of the talking heads who said San Fran may be the most balanced team in the league.  

12 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Nah… See, I’ve been told by the majority of this forum that you need a $50M/yr QB to win in the NFL.  I’ve been old that it doesn’t matter how good the supporting cast is.  It’s all about keeping the QB even if we overpay him.  

So, I fully expect those same people to step up right now.  We are playing against a rookie third string back up who was the last pick in the draft.  These guys gotta be licking their chops in anticipation for showing off what our $50m QB is going to do against their league minimum guy.  

But it doesn’t actually work like that in any sense of reality. This is a team sport. Not sure why you’re acting like Purdy is some chump because of his salary and where he was drafted.. I’d have to assume you know better so I’m not sure why you’re playing around with this narrative. And certainly San Fran has been one of the best units in football period during their 11 game win streak with said QB. 

16 hours ago, textaz03 said:

This game will come down to one thing. How much Parsons and D-Law and the interior pass rush can harass this rookie QB. Plain and simple.

Purdy hasn’t really had to face a top pass rush yet. Take that back, he faced Arizona who has a pass rush win rate of 47% (4th in league), however Arizona had no offense during that game and Arizona’s defense was gassed from being on field so much.

Dallas is 2nd in the league with a 52% Pass Rush win percentage. If they can get home, could be a long night for Purdy. 

Just curious, where does Washington rank in pass rush win percentage. That front gave us some issues, especially in the first half. The second half was all Niners but we still struggled mightily in the RZ. And in week 18, we saw Washington's DL wreck the game against the Cowboys. Do they rank in the top 10? How about SF? 

16 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Never mind, I see you got this from ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams#prwrteam

I am surprised by Washington being ranked 16th as the eye test states they were much better than that. Maybe it has to do with the slow start for their defense? 

You also forgot that Purdy faced off against the Dolphins. So from just this statistic, Purdy faced off against the #3 and #4 defenses in terms of pass rush win percentage. And really, that is kind of skewed for teams that blitz a lot. Arizona and Miami will bring the blitz where they get wins but on pure four man rushes, they wouldn't rank this high...The Cowboys/Eagles can get home without bringing the blitz obviously. 

14 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I saw the most remarkable stat… every team SF played this year LOST the following week. I think that speaks to the physical nature in which SF plays the game.  Frankly that’s how football should be played. 

With this stat, you’re practically giving more credit to the 49ers for losing to terrible teams like Chicago, Denver, and Atlanta than you are willing to give to Dallas for winning a playoff game.

14 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

IMO the only way we can win this game is sell out to stop the run and hope your rookie QB makes some mistakes.  We can’t win unless we win the TO battle.

Oh well, in some roundabout way, you and I come to the same conclusion about our chances for Sunday.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

42 minutes ago, D82 said:

If you just go by PPG in the top 10 for both categories that is true...But in terms of DVOA, Washington had the 9th rated defense and I believe they were top 5 in the last half of the season and the Niners scored 37 against them. 

The NO/DEN games came with Jimmy G at QB.

The team's PPG with Jimmy G in 10 games at QB:

The team's PPG with Purdy in 7 games at QB:

And it is fair to say the defenses that Purdy has faced have not been the best, but the offense is on a whole another level than it was at the beginning of the season. Obviously the addition of CMC changed everything and the team is finally fully healthy on offense. Kittle, Mitchell and Deebo all missed time throughout the year. 

That is not to say the team will score over 35 points against the Cowboys top defense or that Purdy will not have his struggles....Because it is certainly possible he struggles this game due to the Cowboys fearsome pass rush and opportunistic secondary. Just saying though, those numbers against the top 10 defenses are kind of misleading. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

What??? I don't recall anyone saying we "need a 50M QB" or a team needs one to win a SB. We all agree no one wants to pay ANY QB or player 50M. That 50M a year is not Dak's fault. It's the FO. You know that.

Your argument simply comes down to Dak's quality of play and is it justified. This is Romo 2.0 all over again.

As far as "team friend deals". If I recall Brady is the only player of recent memory that took that approach to any significant degree. Sure, a few here and there that took less money to go play for a better team. But not the amount Brady passed on. Besides, he could afford to do that because his wife makes just as much he does/did.

Hate Dak for his quality of play, or lack thereof. Don't hate him for the money he makes. Because frankly there are dozens of players making way more than they should.

Edited by HDsportsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Just to provide a bit of context on Denver and New Orleans portion of this tweet:

Denver - This was Jimmy's first start after no training camp and we also didn't have Kittle. With that said, Denver's defense was completely suffocating that night and I give full credit to them choking the life out of our offense. That was the best defense we faced all year. 

New Orleans - This game was right after the Monday Night Mexico game and the team didn't have an actual practice all week. They were walking zombies coming into this game and played like it on offense. 

Also, The Commanders played us real tight and that was a legit defense. And Miami's defense was literally throwing everything and everyone at Purdy all game and he hung in there and completed some big boy pants throws. It was cover 0 fire blitzes on the reg with Miami and they were getting through the line with free rushers often. If Jimmy was back there, they would've had a hand full of sacks and at least one pick off of a desperation throw. 

Cowboys will absolutely be the best team the Niners have played all year and Purdy's biggest challenge to date. It's going to be a fun one. 

• Like 1