Ezekiel Elliott is Washed Up

DaBoys

17 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

And at some point, this organization needs to cut the umbilical cord and understand that the owners’ expectation is that Zeke gets the ball regardless of his contract, which negatively impacts the team. Move on. Seriously, I don’t care what his salary is, 2.1 ypc is not good enough.

I really go back and forth on this. On principle, I agree that 99 times out of 100, in sports you just move on from the star player that doesn’t have it anymore. But I think this could be the exception where the cap ramifications + the willingness of the player to come back for very little change the calculus a bit.

Crucially, I also don’t think present-day Zeke is the sort of locker room detriment that a washed up former face of the franchise often can be. As far as I can tell he seems content as the old man in the skill corps. It’s ownership that needs to accept that that is what he is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I really go back and forth on this. On principle, I agree that 99 times out of 100, in sports you just move on from the star player that doesn’t have it anymore. But I think this could be the exception where the cap ramifications + the willingness of the player to come back for very little change the calculus a bit.

Crucially, I also don’t think present-day Zeke is the sort of locker room detriment that a washed up former face of the franchise often can be. As far as I can tell he seems content as the old man in the skill corps. It’s ownership that needs to accept that that is what he is.

IF he is willing to take a pay cut… This is the same guy that held out in Cabo in year 3 of a 5 year deal. One could argue that he’s made his money so NOW he will be cool with a team friendly deal but that’s just speculation at best, and going against all prior evidence at worst. 

Edited by DaBoys

7 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Cap ramifications? 4 mil in savings and having him completely off the books for 2024 when CeeDee and Diggs are due for new contracts that’s the bigger upside to cutting him outright IMO. 

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

IF he is willing to take a pay cut… This is the same guy that held out in Cabo in year 3 of a 5 year deal. One could argue that he’s made his money so NOW he will be cool with a team friendly deal but that’s just speculation at best, and going against all prior evidence at worst. 

Fair point. I mean, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for him to do the franchise that paid him $75M pre-taxes and made him internationally famous a solid. But it’s no lock.

I assume his agent knows he’s worth diddly on the open market, but I could be wrong there. Perhaps some team with too much cap room looks at his 12 TDs and convinces themselves he’s worth $4M or something. I wouldn’t keep him for more than whatever we gave Alfred Morris way back when.

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

Cap ramifications? 4 mil in savings and having him completely off the books for 2024 when CeeDee and Diggs are due for new contracts that’s the bigger upside to cutting him outright IMO. 

I guess. I kind of doubt our team is willing to incur a $12M dead cap hit when they’re already out $8M apiece to La’el and likely Tyron. That’s $28M down the drain on three dudes. So I see a post-June 1 cut as likelier. But we’ll see.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

If he won’t do it, then you cut him. But the scenario is wildly different right now. He had a moment of massive leverage, and he took it. His current leverage is basically non-existent - whatever contract he’d be able to get as a free agent probably fails to match the money he can make with the profile he’s built as such a marketable Dallas Cowboy.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:08 AM, Tony7188 said:

I think after the season, it’s time to move on from Zeke. Outside of sentimental value, there’s no point in giving a pay cut to a player who can’t play anymore. Look towards the draft for his replacement. 

That’s my position. RBs are a dime a dozen. When they’re done, they’re done. They don’t magically perform better with a reduced contract. 2.1 yards per carry and no explosion are still 2.1 yards per carry with no explosion, which won’t win games. Anything other than moving on represents nothing more than reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

And the same goes for Dak.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Going to have to be a hefty one for me to be on board.

I bet he does want to take a pay cut now that he can’t play. He knows no other team will pay him. Cut and replace him with a 2-3rd rd. draft pick. 

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1

You guys have to understand that Zeke is one of my favorite players. I cheered the pick over Jalen Ramsey. @Tony7188and I got into many debates over the ensuing years. I loved Zeke. I thought he should have been rookie of the year. The only Cowboys jersey I own is Ezekiel Elliott. My PSN is Zeke21_Smith22. I’m stuck with that. 

And you know what? He was great. He was great for years. But I, unlike some people, can recognize when a player is not playing well. And it doesn’t matter how much “I liked him.” Zeke, like some other guys from the 2016 class, are hurting this team. Time to swallow your pride and move on.

No pay cut is going to be enough to warrant a roster spot. He’s a glorified Mike Tolbert at this point. Is he going to be 2nd or 3rd string and do kickoff coverage, and punt coverage? No. He’s done. Cut him 6/1

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DaBoys said:

You guys have to understand that Zeke is one of my favorite players. I cheered the pick over Jalen Ramsey. @Tony7188and I got into many debates over the ensuing years. I loved Zeke. I thought he should have been rookie of the year. The only Cowboys jersey I own is Ezekiel Elliott. My PSN is Zeke21_Smith22. I’m stuck with that. 

And you know what? He was great. He was great for years. But I, unlike some people, can recognize when a player is not playing well. And it doesn’t matter how much “I liked him.” Zeke, like some other guys from the 2016 class, are hurting this team. Time to swallow your pride and move on.

No pay cut is going to be enough to warrant a roster spot. He’s a glorified Mike Tolbert at this point. Is he going to be 2nd or 3rd string and do kickoff coverage, and punt coverage? No. He’s done. Cut him 6/1

I agree with almost everything. If the pay cut was enough that he has a limited cap number and no dead money. I wouldn't mind. Pollard can't block and who knows when/if he comes back.

28 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I agree with almost everything. If the pay cut was enough that he has a limited cap number and no dead money. I wouldn't mind. Pollard can't block and who knows when/if he comes back.

Did you see Zeke at center on the last play? I’m just messin but blocking back isn’t a position worth keeping.