NEW ERA MOCK

squire12

GB, waiting for an Aaron Rodgers decision, gets offers for some veterans that triggers a plan to begin a transition.   GB currently is $14.2M over the 2023 projected salary cap

• Trade: 

• KC sends pick 1.29 + pick 4.22 (123) + 4.31 (132)

• GB sends David Bahktiari + pick 3.15 (78)

• Cap savings = $5.9M (dead cap $23.1M)

• Trade

• CIN sends pick 4.27 (128)

• GB sends Preston Smith + pick 6.comp (217)

• Cap savings = $3.28 (dead cap $9.76)

• Restructures

• Jaire Alexander:  $11.45M roster bonus converted to signing bonus

• Cap savings $8.5M

• Kenny Clark: converts $11M of base salary + $2M roster bonus to signing bonus

• Cap savings $10.0M

• Aaron Jones:  $7.0 roster bonus + $5.0 base salary to signing bonus

• Cap savings $9.0M

Cap space = $22.48

• Not returning

• Mason Crosby

• Adrian Amos

• Dean Lowry

• Randall Cobb

• Jarren Reed

• Marcedes Lewis

• FA retentions

• RFA

• Yosh Nijman – 2nd Round $4.3M

• UFA

• Keisean Nixon - 2 years $8M

• 2023 - $3M

• 2024 - $5M

• Rudy Ford - 1 year $2.5M

• FA additions

• Hayden Hurst – 2 years $10M

• 2023 -  $3.5M

• 2024 - $6.5M

DRAFT (SEC, BIG 10!!!!!!!!)   Have not dug into a lot of prospects.  most of these players are noted from my college viewing during the CF season... lots of big 10 and SEC.  

• 1.15 – Isaiah Foskey EDGE Notre Dame 6’5 260

• 1.29 – Rashee Rice WR SMU 6’3 206

• 2.15 (45) – Jordan Battle S Alabama 6’1 206

• 3.15 (78) – Traded away

• 4.14 (115) – Zacch Pickens IDL South Carolina 6’4 305

• 4.22 (123) - Brenton Strange TE Penn State 6’3 250

• 4.27 (128) - Sydney Brown S Illinois 6’0 200

• 4.31 (132) - Warren McClendon OT Georgia 6’4 300

• 5.15 (149 - Robert Beal JR EDGE Georgia 6’4 255

• 5 comp (170) - Rakin Jarrett WR Maryland 6’0 200

• 6 comp (217) - Traded away

• 7.15 (233) - Taiwan Mullen CB Indiana 5’10 180

• 7.21 (239) - Stetson Bennett QB Georgia 5’11 190

• Like 3

Depth chart

STARTER      
QB Jordan Love Danny Eitling Stetson Bennett  
RB Aaron Jones AJ Dillon Patrick Taylor Tyler Goodson
FB Josiah Degura      
WR Christian Watson Rashee Rice Jeff Cotton  
WR Romeo Doubs Bo Melton    
WR Samori Toure Rakim Jarrett    
TE Hayden Hurst Brenton Strange Austin Allen Nick Guggemos
LT Zach Tom Rasheed Walker Caleb Jones  
LG Elgton Jenkins Sean Rhyan Luke Tenuta  
C Josh Myers      
RG Jon Runyan Royce Newman    
RT Yosh Nijman Warren McClendon Jean Delance  

LDE Devonte Wyatt Zacch Pickens    
NT Kenny Clark Jonathan Ford    
RDE Tedarrell Slaton Chris Slayton    
WLB Kingsley Enagbare Robert Beal JR Ladaius Hamilton  
LILB De'Vondre Campbell      
RILB Quay Walker Isaiah McDuffie Tariq Carpenter  
SLB Isaiah Foskey Rashan Gary Johathan Garvin  
LCB Jaire Alexander Tiawan Mullen Innis Gaines Kiondre Thomas
SS Darnell Savage Rudy Ford Vernon Scott James Wiggins
FS Jordan Battle Sydney Brown Tyrell Ford  
RCB Rasul Douglas Shemar Jean Charles    
Slot CB Eric Stokes Keisean Nixon Benjie Franklin  

PK   Parker White    
P Pat O'Donnell      
LS Jack Coco      
  • Like 1

Outstanding!

I actually read everything.  My blood pressure didn't spike and though some of the moves I wouldn't personally do, they did make sense.

And I loved the draft.  I actually knew the first three names that you picked.  And that's saying something right now.

Best part about the draft, and why I give this mock an A+?  THERE WAS NO THIRD ROUND PICK!!!!!

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

Hey...another thing I liked...you took an EDGE with some weight on him.  As much as I love the quick twitch edge guys that can win quickly, we really do not draft those guys.  So the power edge guys are the ones that I'm looking at too.  The more they get over 255, the more I feel like we are going to like them.

I thought I saw a dude that was 290 on the EDGE in the draft...mid rounds.  Caught my eye, just because of size.

And regarding the draft and WR's...I like the size of the kid you drafted.  Again, I'm not looking at smaller guys.  Seems like they need to have some weight on them.  And the 40 times will be very, very interesting to watch this year.

My only complaint is the Aaron Jones cap move. I'm really torn on this though. We want him to stay around, but pushing his cap hit out means is dead cap floor for next offseason is around $10M bucks, which would just stink.

I am open to the trade ideas, but I am assuming in this case that Rodgers decides to retire?

4 minutes ago, Striker said:

The one question I have is why would KC send us a first for Bakh vs. locking up Orlando Brown long term? He's five years younger and is playing very well.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you, but it might be cheaper (both in terms of draft pick and $$$) to trade for Bakh and move on from Orlando Brown.  If you can send a SRP+ for Bakh, and then recoup those picks for Orlando Brown than you'd get a slight upgrade at LT while possibly upgrading picks and saving money.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not saying that I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you, but it might be cheaper (both in terms of draft pick and $$$) to trade for Bakh and move on from Orlando Brown.  If you can send a SRP+ for Bakh, and then recoup those picks for Orlando Brown than you'd get a slight upgrade at LT while possibly upgrading picks and saving money.

That's fair. They'd still be in a bit of tight spot since they'd only have Bakh for 2 years whereas I'd assume they'd be trying to lock Brown in for 4 to 5 years. But if they can't get it done, trading would be better than an unknown.

I take it Rodgers retires? I see that as very unlikely after his comments.

We'll see what the combine brings, right now I feel like that's a big overdraft on both first rounders, unless they're athletic studs. Foskey is a Rd 2 guy and Rice a 2-3 guy.

That offense is brutal, defense has had it's turn, outside of a Rd 1 edge, the draft needs more offense. OL needs some guys, more TEs and a RB heir to take over after Jones leaves next offseason.

• Like 1

I think the releases and signings are more realistic than other off season plans I've seen. The guys that you let walk in FA are the ones that should be let go.

Other than my draft crush, Darnell Washington, I haven't looked much into 2023 prospects yet.

3 hours ago, Striker said:

I think this one sounds more reasonable.

The one question I have is why would KC send us a first for Bakh vs. locking up Orlando Brown long term? He's five years younger and is playing very well.

very much depends on what Brown would want in terms of contract.  that was part of his issue in BALT on a big long term contract. 

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

My only complaint is the Aaron Jones cap move. I'm really torn on this though. We want him to stay around, but pushing his cap hit out means is dead cap floor for next offseason is around $10M bucks, which would just stink.

I didn't really want to do that either, but needed to find a way to get under the cap and short of cutting Jones, I don't think a trade is going to be on the table with the RB rookie class and FA RB options.

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I am open to the trade ideas, but I am assuming in this case that Rodgers decides to retire?

yeah, Rodgers is somewhere in the Andes!!!!!!

• Like 1