Who Will Fill These Gaping Holes?

BetterCallSaul

On 1/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, Kiwibrown said:

AJ Green or Newsome to FS. 

Newsome would have amazing range with his speed and AJ Green has excellent ball skills and vision. In a cover 1 role it is more challenging  and just as important as a corner 

Newsome No...he's a CB no matter what IMO....but moving AJ Green to FS I suggested in another thread a few day's ago.....AJ can cut it at CB and that's not a problem...I think moving to FS, he has the Smarts, the Vision and his speed would go from barely Avg to at least Average/to Above avg for a FS....resign Greedy, draft a kid late or UDFA in the pipeline as the #5/ST/Developmental guy....Move Green to FS to Backup Delpit (I know I'm in the Minority there) and have John Johnson playing the SS with the youngster we got last year as his backup. Bang On

10 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Newsome No...he's a CB no matter what IMO....but moving AJ Green to FS I suggested in another thread a few day's ago.....AJ can cut it at CB and that's not a problem...I think moving to FS, he has the Smarts, the Vision and his speed would go from barely Avg to at least Average/to Above avg for a FS....resign Greedy, draft a kid late or UDFA in the pipeline as the #5/ST/Developmental guy....Move Green to FS to Backup Delpit (I know I'm in the Minority there) and have John Johnson playing the SS with the youngster we got last year as his backup. Bang On

I'm ready to move on from jj3. He looks like he is running through sand 

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm ready to move on from jj3. He looks like he is running through sand 

I think with his salary this year.....he's gonna be on the team. And with the lack of Safety talent I think its almost default he's back. I think if they moved him (JJ3) to Strong Safety and let him call the defense (I want Taki Taki at MLB) and let him play that role, in the slot, blitzing, running the communications, picking up TE's etc, I think he can become effective again. Joe Woods attempted to deploy him as a Single High FS...which is NOT his roll.....I think we have some possible answers already in the Secondary.....

52 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I think with his salary this year.....he's gonna be on the team. And with the lack of Safety talent I think its almost default he's back. I think if they moved him (JJ3) to Strong Safety and let him call the defense (I want Taki Taki at MLB) and let him play that role, in the slot, blitzing, running the communications, picking up TE's etc, I think he can become effective again. Joe Woods attempted to deploy him as a Single High FS...which is NOT his roll.....I think we have some possible answers already in the Secondary.....

Indontbhave much tolerance foe people who looks slow. He doesn't seem to have much blitz potential. He isn't Sendejo bad, but it seems like he is Sendejo+ organizer without much physical talent or impact ability 

3 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I think with his salary this year.....he's gonna be on the team. And with the lack of Safety talent I think it’s almost default he's back. I think if they moved him (JJ3) to Strong Safety and let him call the defense (I want Taki Taki at MLB) and let him play that role, in the slot, blitzing, running the communications, picking up TE's etc, I think he can become effective again. Joe Woods attempted to deploy him as a Single High FS...which is NOT his roll.....I think we have some possible answers already in the Secondary.....

I thought if we cut him in June his cap hit wasn’t to bad, sure I read that somewhere 

53 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I thought if we cut him in June his cap hit wasn’t to bad, sure I read that somewhere 

If we cut him prior to June 1 there would be 12.6m dead cap and we would save 900k.

After June 1 there would be a 3.75 million dead cap and we would save 9.75m.

The big difference is in scenario 1 he is off the books and we owe him nothing going forward. In scenario 2 he will count for 8.85m against the cap in 2024 and we are already over the projected cap in 2024 with only 35 guys under contract.

If he plays out his contract this year he will count 3.75m against the cap in 24 and 25 and 1.35m in 26 (voided years).

If we were to trade him his cap hits would be the same as cutting him.

We can't get rid of the 12.6m we owe him in prorated bonuses but we can save the 9.75m he is due in salary and roster bonus next year.

So the debate really isn't so much how we can save money as it is whether we think he is worth 9.75m for 2023.

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If we cut him prior to June 1 there would be 12.6m dead cap and we would save 900k.

After June 1 there would be a 3.75 million dead cap and we would save 9.75m.

The big difference is in scenario 1 he is off the books and we owe him nothing going forward. In scenario 2 he will count for 8.85m against the cap in 2024 and we are already over the projected cap in 2024 with only 35 guys under contract.

If he plays out his contract this year he will count 3.75m against the cap in 24 and 25 and 1.35m in 26 (voided years).

If we were to trade him his cap hits would be the same as cutting him.

We can't get rid of the 12.6m we owe him in prorated bonuses but we can save the 9.75m he is due in salary and roster bonus next year.

So the debate really isn't so much how we can save money as it is whether we think he is worth 9.75m for 2023.

You can wiggle money on trades other than what otc suggest. 

I'd love to get him to Chicago in a small pick swap and get the cash.

33 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

You can wiggle money on trades other than what otc suggest. 

I'd love to get him to Chicago in a small pick swap and get the cash.

You can't do anything about the 12.6m. If you trade him prior to June 1 you take the hit this coming season, if you trade him post June 1 you take a 3.75m hit this season and the rest in 2024.

That money has already been paid to him, we just opted to spread it out over 3 voided years which the void voids if he is released or traded.

We could trade him but that team would owe him almost 10 million for next season and I don't know if we could get anyone to take that for nothing in return and since it doesn't help with our cap we surely aren't paying someone to take him.

Pretty sure it is either cut him or keep him. Just depends if we want to owe him another 10m or not.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

JJIII has shown the ability to no only play at a high level in the league, but be the green dot guy who sets the defense for a team that had the number 1 overall defense (iirc). 

If we can’t find a way to make that guy serviceable, that’s on coaching.

Moving on from Woods will be a great cleanse. 

We should be at least good across the board. 

The over reliance on Myles is a disgrace. We really need to get him some help and get him out of a superman role. 

The fact that our secondary was only average despite the investment and talent was also terrible.