Offensive Coordinator Interviews

Crimmage

NOPE to Caley, I'm sorry.. you had your chance to interview him last year

Keenan McCardell I am VERY interested in 

• Worked with Kyle Shannahan in Washington
  • Worked with Doug Marrone with the Jags ( that year they were good) .. Could help get Marrone here as OL coach
  • Worked with McVay system this year
  • Justin Jefferson loves him.. says he's a big part of his development

Is he a bright into the McVay/Shannahan system that BB wanted to do last year? Is he a bright to Marrone as OL coach? Is he a bridge to getting better at developing WRs? Super interesting interview assuming it isn't just for the Rooney Rule and he has a chance.

Some thoughts so far: I like that they are targeting former players. 

I think it would be hilarious if BB goes from 0 offensive coordinators to 3

OC / Play Caller / QB Coach: Bill O'Brien

Pass Game Coordinator / WR Coach: Keenan McCardell

Run Game Coordinator / OL Coach: Adrian Klemm

They can't afford to go 2 years in a row with an OC that has never called plays... BUT I love the idea of McCardell because they've historically been terrible at developing WR's and he has a great track record of it. 

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

NOPE to Caley, I'm sorry.. you had your chance to interview him last year

This Just pisses me off. I knew it, he doesn't give a crap. Who's next his grand son. To say your interviewing someone from your losing staff is a insult. Screw you BB. Really interview a guy YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE you started the process.

Keenan McCardell  I never heard his name before as a viable OC candidate. Is the Rooney rule apply when you look for a OC? Does he have a rep in the NFL???

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

This Just pisses me off. I knew it, he doesn't give a crap. Who's next his grand son. To say your interviewing someone from your losing staff is a insult. Screw you BB. Really interview a guy YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE you started the process.

Keenan McCardell  I never heard his name before as a viable OC candidate. Is the Rooney rule apply when you look for a OC? Does he have a rep in the NFL???

ADDED  never mind you answered what I was looking for.

Just now, m haynes said:

That's part of the problem.. the other part is the TE's have consistently underperformed the entire time he has been the TE coach. I know everyone loves him and has seen him as an up and coming coach.. but are we able to quantify what he has done? 

Henry was good last year.. but he was equal to what he was with the Chargers. This year he took a step back imo.. and certainly hasn't been worth the contract. 
Jonnu Smith has been underutilized and not worth his contract.. that may be more of the play callers fault but we can't see anything amazing Caley has done to help him. 

He had 2 third rounders which he got nothing out of. 

Just now, m haynes said:

Regarding his Coaching history:

Vikings 

- He has been with the Vikings for a few years, when they fired the entire staff he is the only guy they kept because Kevin O'Connell was so impressed with him. Justin Jefferson also attributed a lot of his development to him. 

- KJ Osborn is a 5th round 2nd year player who he has done great work with. Turned him into a legit #3 in that offense who they expect to be a 1,000 yard guy once Thielan leaves this off season. 

Jaguars

- WR Coach in 2017 when they went 10-6  .. they had basically 0 talent at WR.. Keelan Cole.. undrafted rookie.. goes for 750 yards 

- WR Coach in 2019 when 2nd round pick DJ Chark (2nd year) goes for 1,000 yard season 

- WR Coach in 2020 when 2nd round pick Laviska Shenalt (rookie) has a 600 yard season

Maryland Terrapins

- 2014/2015 WR coach for Stephon Diggs 

Washington Redskins 

- 2010 WR Coach when rookie 6th round pick Anthony Armstrong goes for 871 yards

- 2010 WR Coach when Santana Moss has the 2nd best season of his career with 1115 yards 

- 2011 WR Coach when old friend Jabar Gaffney has his best season with 947 yards

Now I'm not saying he's the reason for ALL of these players having career years or starting their careers so well.. but it's an insane coincidence if it has nothing to do with him. Not sure if he was involved with any of these guys getting picked in the draft either... but he has a hell of a track record for being a great WR coach. 

My concern is idk how you can take the risk of making a guy the OC who has never called plays before. Maybe it's worth it if you get a great QB Coach & OL Coach with him... but I would LOVE the idea of hiring him as the WR Coach / Pass Game Coordinator. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Henry was good last year.. but he was equal to what he was with the Chargers. This year he took a step back imo.. and certainly hasn't been worth the contract. 
Jonnu Smith has been underutilized and not worth his contract.. that may be more of the play callers fault but we can't see anything amazing Caley has done to help him. 

Also it's comment sense to me, you talk to your TE coach when you are looking at FA. Wouldn't he have the best understanding on the player and also how he fits. If the did he failed there as well.  Wait sorry BB doesn't listen to anyone, forgot.

7 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Now I'm not saying he's the reason for ALL

No you should say that or at lest give some consideration. That's taking in all information to make the best decision you can. its important.  It tells me he not succeeding with just a small sample. Look at BB son and OC with the Chiefs, is it them or their mentor.????

13 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

My concern is idk how you can take the risk of making a guy the OC who has never called plays before. Maybe it's worth it if you get a great QB Coach & OL Coach with him... but I would LOVE the idea of hiring him as the WR Coach / Pass Game Coordinator. 

I agree,  this what should be done who ever you have/ pick as OC also has someone on the staff right there with him. You see how he's doing and give him some experience during the season. Bike with training  wheels !!!! Bring in a old OC like the Rams did with Philips. He trained their HC for one year.  How do you have several young kids on your staff and not groom them when Josh was here!!!!! Nuts.

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Caley is a formality. They know who he is, if he had a strong case for OC then he’d have gotten it. Sounds like they’re just being respectful.

I agree. What bug me is we have a bunch of Caleys on the staff however they are never replaced. I have to question is he here because he's a good soldier.  This is a tough business being a coach , if you cant rise any further you should be replaced with a younger guy.

Best way for me to explain.  The ST coach got demoted and Judge is now in charge. Cameron Achord why is he still there blocking the next in line. The guys behind him, ALL just got kicked back in the pecking order. The new young guy  should be where Achord is now sitting, with Judge LEARNING to be the next ST coach.

What happens is the next guy to leave, let say Mayo ( HC )  he takes with him  the guys below Achord. Final result, over time, it is what we have currently on the staff. It's seems there's is no one currently on the staff that good enough to move up to fill OC/ ST position.

Just think if your a young coach waiting to move up and you see Judge and Achord still there blocking you out. There's no future for me here.  BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB coaching staff nick name   " Barbecue " with friends and family!!!!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I now am validated for wanting him to be the OC.. even if he has never called plays. Thank you

Are you though? I mean that's the thing, it would be a big gamble since he has never called plays much less put together a game plan (that I'm aware of). Could he do it? I definitely think he could. Only a matter of time before we do lose him, just hoping this isn't the year.

Who does Boston media believe to be the favorite?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Are you though? I mean that's the thing, it would be a big gamble since he has never called plays much less put together a game plan (that I'm aware of). Could he do it? I definitely think he could. Only a matter of time before we do lose him, just hoping this isn't the year.

Who does Boston media believe to be the favorite?

It is assumed that Bill O'Brien is the lock. If for any reason he isn't the guy then I think McCardell is the next guy. 

What is being guessed by the media right now is that they are going to try and bring in Bill O'Brien along with Bill O'Brien's future replacement. The way they would do that and be able to give a qualified candidate a promotion would be: 

- Bill O'Brien OC / Play Caller

- Keenan McCardell Pass Game Coordinator / WR Coach 

It is guessed that Bill O'Brien will only be here for 1-2 years because he will be offered a head coaching job and BB doesn't like constant turnover. That would create a succession plan for McCardell to take over while minimizing the risk involved. He could call plays this pre-season / camp while getting experience scheming the offense during the season with O'Brien. 

By offering "Pass Game Coordinator" it gives McCardell him room to grow because he's never going to have a chance to move up with O'Connell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

By offering "Pass Game Coordinator" it gives McCardell him room to grow because he's never going to have a chance to move up with O'Connell

This makes sense, it looks like our TE coach currently has the Pass Game Coordinator title. 

BOB makes sense with the Mac Jones connection.