2 Round Mock Draft - First of the Season

Rich7sena

3 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Landry seems to be a facsimile of Charles Harris, who we took last year.We need more of a base 4-3 DE. Is Ferrell that guy? If not C. Wilkins or O. Brown would be OK.

Interesting take. I originally had Ferrell there but I felt Landry was a significantly better prospect. Could you envision Harris evolving into the base end role? I feel like Landry is also a much better prospect than Harris.

@INbengalfan How well is Billings playing now that he has significant snaps?

@BroncoSojia I already addressed this with @Counselor, but  believe the Broncos hold off taking a QB early for one more year and, in my opinion, it's the right move. Lynch deserves the first round leash and the prudent move would be to build up the run game.

13 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

2. San Francisco 49ers select Bradley Chubb, Edge, NC State

Lots of picks which sounds good to me (to me = means i agree) but some i really do not understand (means, i do not have the thruth, neither you, lets discuss).

The Niners selecting another Dlineman ? They play a 43 right ? So in this scenario Solomon Thomas will play inside i suppose. He surely can. But what about Buckner ? Will he play NT ?

A guard at #4 ? I do not understand why the Colts would pass on an edge rusher to take another free safety ? I do not understand the weakness about Vikes' defense you talk about ? Is Roquand Smith a LB ? Plan is to upgrade who ? Erin Kendricks ? I do not see any priority (1st pick) to upgrade Ben Gedeon they've just selected last year but tell me...For now i do not think Rashaan Evans is an OLB but why not ? So with Hicks in the middle i doubt the Eagles will take another MLB in the first. Things can change until next april but Sutton available in the second round ? Well. If the Titans would find a way to get rif of Murray (but they'd better keep him), LOve would be a nice complement to Henry but for now i do not understand.

You did advise to me to check your mock so please now i'd like you to make me understand some of your choices.

3 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

Lots of picks which sounds good to me (to me = means i agree) but some i really do not understand (means, i do not have the thruth, neither you, lets discuss).

The Niners selecting another Dlineman ? They play a 43 right ? So in this scenario Solomon Thomas will play inside i suppose. He surely can. But what about Buckner ? Will he play NT ?

A guard at #4 ? I do not understand why the Colts would pass on an edge rusher to take another free safety ? I do not understand the weakness about Vikes' defense you talk about ? Is Roquand Smith a LB ? Plan is to upgrade who ? Erin Kendricks ? I do not see any priority (1st pick) to upgrade Ben Gedeon they've just selected last year but tell me...For now i do not think Rashaan Evans is an OLB but why not ? So with Hicks in the middle i doubt the Eagles will take another MLB in the first. Things can change until next april but Sutton available in the second round ? Well. If the Titans would find a way to get rif of Murray (but they'd better keep him), LOve would be a nice complement to Henry but for now i do not understand.

You did advise to me to check your mock so please now i'd like you to make me understand some of your choices.

The 49ers play a variant of the 4-3 under which means they effectively have 5 "front" players in their base defense. Currently, Eli Harold is their starting SAM linebacker and I believe Chubb would be a big upgrade at that important spot. In nickel (which teams are in 60%+ of the time) Chubb would convert to a more traditional rush player.

We've already discussed this, but there is both precedent and roster significance for a guard going top 5.

I'm not in the mind that the Colts need an edge rusher. They invested in two quality edge players last offseason (Sheard, Simon) and drafted one I believe in (Basham). If a player the caliber of Chubb were available then yes, I could see the team taking an edge rusher where they pick. Further, Fitzpatrick isn't a free safety. He's mostly playing either slot corner or nickel backer for Alabama.

The Vikings are a tough team to pick for because they have so few real needs. Looking at PFF's player grades, Eric Kendricks is graded at a 41.8. No other player on their defense grades below a 78 on their system. Gedeon is not a player I believe would give the Vikings pause on upgrading linebacker.

The Eagles are in a similar situation, but I believe Nigel Bradham leaves in free agency (the Eagles currently project to be nearly $4 million over the cap in 2018). Like Gedeon, Hicks isn't someone I believe the Eagles think is a long term answer.

I believe Sutton can go anywhere from the mid first round to the early second. A lot of players in this draft have a wide range of possible landing spots.

The draft is not done in a vacuum and mock drafts shouldn't be done in a vacuum. I look at a team's roster, depth chart, and contracts to see how a team might evolve through both free agency and the draft. The Titans can easily divest from Murray this offseason with zero penalty and I think there's a good chance they will. Either way, neither Murray or Henry offer the unique skillset offered by Bryce Love. When so many teams are running their passing games through the backfield, the Titans could easily follow that trend.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

The 49ers play a variant of the 4-3 under which means they effectively have 5 "front" players in their base defense. Currently, Eli Harold is their starting SAM linebacker and I believe Chubb would be a big upgrade at that important spot. In nickel (which teams are in 60%+ of the time) Chubb would convert to a more traditional rush player.

We've already discussed this, but there is both precedent and roster significance for a guard going top 5.

I'm not in the mind that the Colts need an edge rusher. They invested in two quality edge players last offseason (Sheard, Simon) and drafted one I believe in (Basham). If a player the caliber of Chubb were available then yes, I could see the team taking an edge rusher where they pick. Further, Fitzpatrick isn't a free safety. He's mostly playing either slot corner or nickel backer for Alabama.

The Vikings are a tough team to pick for because they have so few real needs. Looking at PFF's player grades, Eric Kendricks is graded at a 41.8. No other player on their defense grades below a 78 on their system. Gedeon is not a player I believe would give the Vikings pause on upgrading linebacker.

The Eagles are in a similar situation, but I believe Nigel Bradham leaves in free agency (the Eagles currently project to be nearly $4 million over the cap in 2018). Like Gedeon, Hicks isn't someone I believe the Eagles think is a long term answer.

I believe Sutton can go anywhere from the mid first round to the early second. A lot of players in this draft have a wide range of possible landing spots.

The draft is not done in a vacuum and mock drafts shouldn't be done in a vacuum. I look at a team's roster, depth chart, and contracts to see how a team might evolve through both free agency and the draft. The Titans can easily divest from Murray this offseason with zero penalty and I think there's a good chance they will. Either way, neither Murray or Henry offer the unique skillset offered by Bryce Love. When so many teams are running their passing games through the backfield, the Titans could easily follow that trend.

wow

9 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Interesting take. I originally had Ferrell there but I felt Landry was a significantly better prospect. Could you envision Harris evolving into the base end role? I feel like Landry is also a much better prospect than Harris.

@BroncoSojia I already addressed this with @Counselor, but  believe the Broncos hold off taking a QB early for one more year and, in my opinion, it's the right move. Lynch deserves the first round leash and the prudent move would be to build up the run game.

He's playing better and better with increased playing time.  Had as pressure last week and was in the backfield against the Browns a few times today.  I can't say how he did vs. tjhe run, because m,y seats don't give me a good angle on it.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

After watching Lynch play against your Raiders, do you still think we should pass up Rosen for him? 

On 11/25/2017 at 6:14 PM, Rich7sena said:

Isn't it a little premature to take a QB in the top 2 rounds with Lynch on the roster?

Not if you've watched Lynch play and heard the issues with his work ethic. Lynch is a sunk cost, and though it's a limited sample size, does not appear to be the answer. Broncos should absolutely be all in on a quarterback this off season in some manner. 

Sort of meh for me on the 49ers. Chubb is a fan favorite in the forum, but I really need to see his combine. When I look at him, I'm seeing a big DE, something which we already have too many of. What we need is a LEO, and I just really struggle to see a 275 pound leo working well (particularly after we just tried it this year with Armstead). I just don't think that he has it to work out of that position. May change my tune come the combine. But I'm also an unabashed, all aboard the Nelson bandwagon guy lol. I also would fully expect us to trade out of that pick if we end up at #2. At least, dear god, that's what I'm hoping lol. 

Tate is a good pick, but not my favorite. Personally, I think that if Jimmy G is the real deal, you could have a serviceable offense with the receivers we have in place if you just have the line to protect him. There are not many quality guards / centers available in this free agent class, but there could be some pretty good receivers available. If we are going to add a piece at receiver, I'd rather do it from the free agents and grab a center or guard in the second round to help the line out. Our interior line is just absolutely miserable. 

But there's nothing wrong with the draft as it is, and it could easily make sense. Just not my preferred way of going about it. 

On 11/25/2017 at 7:50 PM, Rich7sena said:

28. Minnesota Vikings select Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Address one of the few (only) weakness on the defense.

Kendricks and Barr are on the field most of the time at LB, neither of them is a weakness. Gedeon the rookie is kind of a weakness, but again, has had some games where he's barely seen double digit snaps because the Vikings are in nickle so much.  Chukwuma Okorafor, OL, Western Michigan seems like a better pick as OG help is needed, unless he's purely an OT, in which case, having him at RT wouldn't be horrible. OL and DL are the two most likely spots for a first round pick to go, LB is basically at the bottom.

On 11/25/2017 at 7:50 PM, Rich7sena said:

62. Minnesota Vikings select Iman Marshall, DB, USC

Corner depth for inevitable Terrance Newman retirement.

I like this pick, I think getting more CB/DB depth is always a good thing.

Archived