Defensive Coordinator search

TheKillerNacho

Mixed feelings about this one. When we first retained him, I didn't hate it as I thought it could be some stability to the defense during the transition between head coaches. While our pass defense completely fell apart, a lot of it wasn't his fault - as we had a ton of injuries to our defensive secondary forcing us to start practice squad guys, more or less. At the same time, we have way too much talent at edge for our pass rush to be as bad as it was, which seems like a scheme issue. His insistence at running the Cover 0 despite no longer having an elite secondary was a major issue. Still, the defense played really hard the last few weeks, including the game against the Bills in the playoffs.

It's probably for the best though. I'm interested to see who McDaniel has in mind to bring in.

14 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Fangio is obviously the dream hire.  Ross needs to open up the checkbook and get it done.

Vikings also seemingly in play for Fangio now. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Other candidates I can think of on the top of my head... Kris Kocurek (49ers DL coach, formerly with the Dolphins in 2018), Corey Undlin (49ers secondary coach, former Lions DC), Eric Washington (Bills DL coach and former Panthers DC), Steve Wilks (assuming he doesn't get the Panthers HC job), Sean Desai (Seahawks AHC and former Bears DC), and Dennard Wilson (Eagles defensive passing game / DB coach)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean yeah, we expected this, but I expect Fangio to have his pick of a handful of jobs.

I hope he likes what he sees from our personnel and picks us for sure, but we still need to have a backup candidate ready.

Not only do I hope Fangio takes the job as our DC, but I hope maybe he can make Byron Jones want to be a Dolphin again, as well as Nik Needham, while allowing X to get healthy.