Defensive Coordinator search

TheKillerNacho

3 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Not only do I hope Fangio takes the job as our DC, but I hope maybe he can make Byron Jones want to be a Dolphin again, as well as Nik Needham, while allowing X to get healthy.

man idk. if there's any truth whatsoever to the rumors Byron was sitting out on purpose this season I just kinda want him gone.

even if there's no truth to these rumors and he really just couldn't get back into playing form, he just turned 30 and has been out of football for a year, regardless... now that his contract has progressed to a point we can cut him for net cap savings, I really think we should just cut ties.

11 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

man idk. if there's any truth whatsoever to the rumors Byron was sitting out on purpose this season I just kinda want him gone.

even if there's no truth to these rumors and he really just couldn't get back into playing form, he just turned 30 and has been out of football for a year, regardless... now that his contract has progressed to a point we can cut him for net cap savings, I really think we should just cut ties.

I can’t really see him sitting out on purpose to make a point. There are a few exceptions but I believe most of these guys want to compete, that is what drives them. He just hasn’t struck me as a player that would do that, but what do I know. More to the point though as the adage goes your best ability is availability. Of course I say pick up Tua’s fifth year option. Lawyers and hypocrisy…    

4 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

I can’t really see him sitting out on purpose to make a point. There are a few exceptions but I believe most of these guys want to compete, that is what drives them. He just hasn’t struck me as a player that would do that, but what do I know. More to the point though as the adage goes your best ability is availability. Of course I say pick up Tua’s fifth year option. Lawyers and hypocrisy…    

i'm till 50/50 on the option. there's certainly merit to not picking it up and seeing how next season goes; we can always extend him

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

i'm till 50/50 on the option. there's certainly merit to not picking it up and seeing how next season goes; we can always extend him

I am looking at Daniel Jones who I think made himself a ton of money. His 5th year option was around 20 mil. Now they may have to franchise him for 30-35mil. You are right though the cap gurus can always extend with a structure that grants immediate relief. 

6 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

I am looking at Daniel Jones who I think made himself a ton of money. His 5th year option was around 20 mil. Now they may have to franchise him for 30-35mil. You are right though the cap gurus can always extend with a structure that grants immediate relief. 

I'd HAPPILY fork over more later if he proves he can stay healthy over the course of a whole season (while maintaining his 2022 level of play). Really depends on which direction the team wants to hedge their bets, though.

• Like 1

So did Ross give Fangio a blank check yet?

I'm easily picking up Tua's 5th year, btw.  I think I saw where it was projecting to be around $22 million.  That's nothing for a QB.  Winston is getting $16 million this next year.  Mariota is getting $15 million.  If he has another concussion-filled year in 2023, he's probably retiring anyway.  If he manages to stay healthy, it's a bargain.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

I feel that he is most likely going to be cut, but I do realize that it's best for us if he is healthy and happy and playing well as a Dolphin.

Without having any firsthand knowledge, I find it difficult to believe that he would just willingly sit out and damage his career that way.  I think what is probable is that the team doctor felt one way about his injury and he and his personal doctors felt differently, and we all witnessed how the team doctor did for Tua.  That's a situation we see occur every year in the NFL for decades.

6 minutes ago, Emerica said:

There you have it. Pretty sure he was #1 on most Dolphins fans list

Yessir! I think this is quite the upgrade from Boyer. The defense played well at times, and the injuries definitely played a factor, so I get why there were mixed feelings about Boyer's termination. However, Fangio is an upgrade. Excited to see him reunite with B. Chubb. Would love to see what he does with all the athletes we have on D. 

• Like 1

I love this hire for the defense and for Mcdaniels it will be like co-head coaches running the team. My biggest question mark at this moment with next years team is the QB position, will Tua be healthy all season and if he is healthy will he play at a high level all season, neither one of these  two have happened yet in his now 3 years in Miami.

Edited by Dolphinmeister
  • Like 1

In addition to everything else Fangio brings, I love that we’ll have a veteran voice on both sides of the ball for what is a young staff. Bevell on O and Fangio on D. Fangio will basically be the HC on D, McD on O

Edited by Emerica
  • Like 1