Defensive Coordinator search

TheKillerNacho

Well, if he is truly having second thoughts about signing after being made the highest paid coordinator in the league, I’m assuming he clearly has his mind on another job ie in SF. And now with Demeco going to Houston i imagine that paves the way for him to get that job.

Hoping that isn’t the case but i wouldn’t wait around too long… Last thing we want is to lose out and end up with our third or fourth option. Desai has interviewed for other organizations, not sure about Richard.

Still I’d trust Pelissero//Rapoport/Barry Jackson’s reporting more than Mike Silver. So until they say something is going on I’ll remain optimistic 

Edited by Emerica

21 hours ago, Emerica said:

Well, if he is truly having second thoughts about signing after being made the highest paid coordinator in the league, I’m assuming he clearly has his mind on another job ie in SF. And now with Demeco going to Houston i imagine that paves the way for him to get that job.

Hoping that isn’t the case but i wouldn’t wait around too long… Last thing we want is to lose out and end up with our third or fourth option. Desai has interviewed for other organizations, not sure about Richard.

Still I’d trust Pelissero//Rapoport/Barry Jackson’s reporting more than Mike Silver. So until they say something is going on I’ll remain optimistic 

Looks like he will be taking an interview with SF soon. If Gannon gets hired elsewhere, Philly is another possibility for Fangio. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like he will be taking an interview with SF soon. If Gannon gets hired elsewhere, Philly is another possibility for Fangio. 

Where would Gannon go? Has he even been requested for an interview with Arizona or Indy? Think that boat sailed imo, for this year at least

Think its down to SF and Miami for Fangio

Edited by Emerica

33 minutes ago, Emerica said:

Where would Gannon go? Has he even been requested for an interview with Arizona or Indy? Think that boat sailed imo, for this year at least

Yeah, Arizona would be the only potential spot for him and that doesn't seem likely. So for Fangio it will be Car, Mia or SF. And I think realistically it will be between Mia/SF. 

14 hours ago, Emerica said:

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, Arizona would be the only potential spot for him and that doesn't seem likely. So for Fangio it will be Car, Mia or SF. And I think realistically it will be between Mia/SF. 

I know it's been reported Sean Payton is trying to bring him to Denver but I cannot see him going back to an organization one year removed from being fired as the Head Coach, so I tend to agree it has to be SF or MIA.

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I know it's been reported Sean Payton is trying to bring him to Denver but I cannot see him going back to an organization one year removed from being fired as the Head Coach, so I tend to agree it has to be SF or MIA.

Yeah, Denver is not happening and while Payton wanted to pair up with Fangio, it was never reported that Fangio wanted the same thing. Of course Payton would want someone like Fangio lol.

49ers are interviewing Chris Harris from the Commanders as well as Steve Wilks. Any other DC candidates the Dolphins interviewing?

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, Denver is not happening and while Payton wanted to pair up with Fangio, it was never reported that Fangio wanted the same thing. Of course Payton would want someone like Fangio lol.

49ers are interviewing Chris Harris from the Commanders as well as Steve Wilks. Any other DC candidates the Dolphins interviewing?

We interviewed Sean Desai, Anthony Campanile, and Kris Richard previously but there's been nothing reported since Vic Fangio was said to have agreed to terms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

We interviewed Sean Desai, Anthony Campanile, and Kris Richard previously but there's been nothing reported since Vic Fangio was said to have agreed to terms.

Makes sense, I'm rooting hard for the Dolphins due to all the 49ers connections on the team so I hope you guys find someone good....if it isn't Fangio. If you get Fangio? Then great! This team should be a legitimate contender as long as you can keep Tua upright. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Makes sense, I'm rooting hard for the Dolphins due to all the 49ers connections on the team so I hope you guys find someone good....if it isn't Fangio. If you get Fangio? Then great! This team should be a legitimate contender as long as you can keep Tua upright. 

I still think the signs point to Fangio coming to Miami at the end of the day, but we'll see. Not sure he's even a scheme fit for San Francisco either, is he?

Wilks seems like he'd be a better fit for what the 49ers like to do on defense.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I still think the signs point to Fangio coming to Miami at the end of the day, but we'll see. Not sure he's even a scheme fit for San Francisco either, is he?

The scheme fit thing is getting a bit overblown to be honest. What he started to do in his last years as a coordinator and in Denver fits just fine in SF.

We shall see after his interview with the Niners. He was around the team a few times in the offseason and there were rumors then that the team wanted him at DC once Ryans left for a HC gig. Something had to stop Fangio from signing after agreeing to the deal with the Dolphins. Maybe he just wanted to do Jed York a favor and hear him out? I could see him signing with Miami but the defensive talent level is obviously superior in SF. Not sure how much that matters to him. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The scheme fit thing is getting a bit overblown to be honest. What he started to do in his last years as a coordinator and in Denver fits just fine in SF.

We shall see after his interview with the Niners. He was around the team a few times in the offseason and there were rumors then that the team wanted him at DC once Ryans left for a HC gig. Something had to stop Fangio from signing after agreeing to the deal with the Dolphins. Maybe he just wanted to do Jed York a favor and hear him out? I could see him signing with Miami but the defensive talent level is obviously superior in SF. Not sure how much that matters to him. 

Has an interview actually been scheduled for him yet?

Last I heard the 49ers were reaching out to Fangio but I didn't see anything stated when or if he actually will.

As for stopping someone from actually signing, it isn't uncommon for deals to be actually signed a week or longer after agreeing to terms. Especially when that coach is still working with another team whose season is still ongoing (even as merely a consultant).

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Has an interview actually been scheduled for him yet?

Last I heard the 49ers were reaching out to Fangio but I didn't see anything stated when or if he actually will.

I have no idea if they have an official interview set or not, but that goes for the other candidates as well. Just a report from Josina Anderson and others:

Ian Rapoport thinks he ends up going to Miami so let's see. 

I will say this - if Fangio really did indicate to us that he will sign to become our next DC and is now dancing around the bush with other teams to try to gain leverage (or use us as leverage with another team), I sincerely hope we just rescind the offer and move on to a candidate who actually wants to be here.

If it was simply a miscommunication or reporters jumping the gun, then whatever - but even then, we should shift our focus onto other candidates sooner rather than later, or risk missing out on our most coveted options.

The Dolphins should also be keeping a close eye on what is happening in Denver. If Sean Payton ultimately decides to bring in his own defensive coordinator (Fangio or not), Ejiro Evero emerges as an even more enticing option for Miami, imo.

• Like 1