2023 OC

paraven

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Interview done it seems. 

To put his existence into context, Joe Flacco is older than him, was drafted 2 years before him, and he's been a coach since 2019.

Bring this man in so he can McVay our offense for a whole year before he bolts to the browns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xmad said:

To put his existence into context, Joe Flacco is older than him, was drafted 2 years before him, and he's been a coach since 2019.

Bring this man in so he can McVay our offense for a whole year before he bolts to the browns.

He's one of two offensive coaches along with Brown that McVay has kept around for a few years longer than most stay on his staff and he's thought very highly of. Since McVay hasn't ever promoted an OC from within it makes sense for him and Brown to take a job elsewhere. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

He's one of two offensive coaches along with Brown that McVay has kept around for a few years longer than most stay on his staff and he's thought very highly of. Since McVay hasn't ever promoted an OC from within it makes sense for him and Brown to take a job elsewhere. 

Who do you think the most talented mind behind McVay is?  As a Rams' fan who would you hate to see leave the most?

It's kind of hard to get a read on who is actually a great prospective coach/talent and who is just getting hyped because they were in proximity to a respected coach like McVay.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Who do you think the most talented mind behind McVay is?  As a Rams' fan who would you hate to see leave the most?

It's kind of hard to get a read on who is actually a great prospective coach/talent and who is just getting hyped because they were in proximity to a respected coach like McVay.

I'd say Brown because it's hard to know what Zac has actually meant to the QB room. He's had Kevin O'Connell, Greg Olsen, Liam Coen and even Shane Waldron also on the staff working with the QB's. Others might disagree but it's there have been a lot of help with the QB's where Zac currently is not to even mention McVay there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Anyone have a timetable for when they expect a hire to be announced?

Well considering some candidates are still in the playoffs, I’d say not until next Monday (earliest) and quite possibly not until the SB has passed.

Candidates are among the Chiefs and Eagles staffs. So I’d say worst case scenario, perhaps a few days after the SB as to allow top candidates time to be flown in and look over the facilities. So with the Super Bowl being 2/12, I’d suspect the OC should be announced no later than Thurs, 2/16.

But earliest I’d expect to hear something would be 1/30, this in the event that the primary candidates’ team is eliminated and we’ve already made up our mind.

The last time I can recall us searching for an OC vs promoting one from within it was Marc Trestman, which he was hired on 1/20 (Marty Mornhinweg hired as QB coach on 1/21/15).

And considering that this OC hire could be Harbaugh’s final chance to hire an OC if he gets this wrong, I doubt they rush this process. So early to mid February is probably the timeline to reasonably expect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Kellen Moore is now available. Definitely worth an interview IMO

I don’t mind interviewing him, but he seems like the overrated offensive mind type similar to Jason Garrett. But he’s produced results so I wouldn’t hate it if we went in that direction.

After looking into their resumes a bit and listening to random clips of them speak (to try and gauge leadership skills). My top 3 OC options are:

1. Dave Canales
- Something about Canales screams to me that he’s the real deal. I think he would connect well with the players and well with most of the options on the Ravens staff as currently constructed. I think his background with Pete means he will have a nice ability to marry the run and pass games well.

2. Byron Leftwich
- Leftwich is a pass heavy guy with Winston having his most explosive season under Leftwich’s tutelage. Brady and the Bucs won a SB with him working side by side. While I can foresee cries for us to run the ball more often, I think it’s easier to rein in a pass heavy OC than to improve the passing concepts of a run heavy guy. What’s more, it’s easier to draft talented RBs than to drafted talented WRs, so at least under Leftwich, finding WRs that want to play in Baltimore shouldn’t be a problem. In fact bringing Leftwich in could give the team a leg up in the event that Mike Evans is traded for and brought into the fold. That familiarity would be there.

3. Eric Bieniemy
- Back in the SB again, the Chiefs and Bieniemy have time in and time out proven to get the job done. However Bieniemy has plateaued where he currently stands between the wise savant and the boy genius. Are those options carrying him or is he a critical lynchpin as well? For the same reasons I’m sure teams are nervous to hire EB as the HC, it’s hard not to be a little nervous about him spearheading an offense with a QB that is not Mahomes. However similar to with Leftwich the upside to being right with Bieniemy could be two 3rd round picks.

Honorable Mentions
Brian Johnson
- Former QB, keeps it fun and light at practices, he’s probably going to want to be the OC for the Eagles. Beyond that Canales and Leftwich impress me a bit more from a leadership perspective atm.

James Urban
- If we have to promote from within I think Urban makes the most sense. He’s been on some nice pass heavy staffs, he’s been on some nice run heavy staffs, he’s worked closely with Lamar for many seasons now as well. So if anyone in the staff is going to ascend, it probably should be Urban. And if it’s not Urban you’ve got to think he’s going to strongly consider moving on elsewhere considering he’s been passed up a few times now it seems. Either you think he’s capable… or you don’t at this point. Though maybe if we bring on a Leftwich or Bienemy the conversation with Harbaugh could essentially be a “I’ll promote you next round” type of backdoor deal.

• Like 1