2023 OC

paraven

I wouldn't have any issue with Canales. I'm always up for someone new as opposed to a retread. Especially if that retread isn't top-level (which usually aren't available unless they are fresh off a failed HC stint). 

It would be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the offensive staff if/when a new offensive coordinator is hired from outside the organization. Usually the Ravens don't have many wholesale changes when a new coordinator is brought in, but this could be more of a tipping point than it has in years past.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Looks like Canales is mestizo, as The Athletic referred to him as a "Minority QB Coach".  So we would be eligible for compensation if he's with our club for two years then hired as a HC elsewhere. 

Had no idea about that… I had him #1 on my OC candidate rankings before I knew about the potential compensation.

Now he’s like idk double 1? But yeah, it was easy to see his magnetism from how infectious he was with the video I saw of him running a few drills in Seattle plus one of the interviews of his that I watched where he talked about his faith… and I know Harbs is a huge faith type of guy along with a lot of dudes on the squad. So I figured he also fit in culturally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I wouldn't have any issue with Canales. I'm always up for someone new as opposed to a retread. Especially if that retread isn't top-level (which usually aren't available unless they are fresh off a failed HC stint). 

It would be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the offensive staff if/when a new offensive coordinator is hired from outside the organization. Usually the Ravens don't have many wholesale changes when a new coordinator is brought in, but this could be more of a tipping point than it has in years past.

It’ll be interesting but I think most would remain intact at least, but yeah a couple departures could certainly happen. Namely at WR coach and QB coach.

I’m not sure how many OC positions are remaining but James Urban likely would be under consideration for someone and could leave. Ravens might be smart to promote him to “Associate” HC considering Weaver is already the Assistant HC. That might be enough of a “promotion” to retain him.

We've already heard the rumors about Tee Martin and Michigan being interested, who knows if they’re true or not. Though either way Keith Williams should be the easy “replacement” since they have such a similar role.

Have to think the TEs coach, Assistant OL, and OL coaches would mostly all stick around as well considering the two former options are brand new and the latter is probably going to retire a Raven at his current age.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Had no idea about that… I had him #1 on my OC candidate rankings before I knew about the potential compensation.

Now he’s like idk double 1? But yeah, it was easy to see his magnetism from how infectious he was with the video I saw of him running a few drills in Seattle plus one of the interviews of his that I watched where he talked about his faith… and I know Harbs is a huge faith type of guy along with a lot of dudes on the squad. So I figured he also fit in culturally.

I hate to be a cynic, but part of me thinks Harbaugh is looking for an OC who is a mega-Christian like him rather than the candidate who is best at X's and O's. 

44 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I hate to be a cynic, but part of me thinks Harbaugh is looking for an OC who is a mega-Christian like him rather than the candidate who is best at X's and O's. 

Well I doubt this hire would quell any of those cynicisms, but I think Canales isn’t an Easterby type.

I think he’s the type that believes his mission is to be a leader of men and thus he’s become a fanatic for improving in that realm. That’s what my takeaway was from what I saw.

From a football standpoint, it’s definitely hard to know if he’s got the X’s and O’s Acumen but that’s the one thing you can’t really know as a fan. I know he’s got the leadership vein oozing from him and you can tell his players really respect him and galvanize behind him, even if some dudes might look at him as being somewhat corny as some guys have always viewed Harbaugh to also be. (Not saying they view him as corny, just that some might, but still respect him at the end of the day).

Either way, with how long he’s been on Pete’s staff, who while a defensive HC has always produced some very explosive and well balanced offenses going back to his USC days, I think I like our chances that Canales will have at least respectable X’s and O’s knowledge.   So I suppose we’ll just have to hope for the best, hope that he’s creative, a fast processor, and can keep up.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Well I doubt this hire would quell any of those cynicisms, but I think Canales isn’t an Easterby type.

I think he’s the type that believes his mission is to be a leader of men and thus he’s become a fanatic for improving in that realm. That’s what my takeaway was from what I saw.

From a football standpoint, it’s definitely hard to know if he’s got the X’s and O’s Acumen but that’s the one thing you can’t really know as a fan. I know he’s got the leadership vein oozing from him and you can tell his players really respect him and galvanize behind him, even if some dudes might look at him as being somewhat corny as some guys have always viewed Harbaugh to also be. (Not saying they view him as corny, just that some might, but still respect him at the end of the day).

Either way, with how long he’s been on Pete’s staff, who while a defensive HC has always produced some very explosive and well balanced offenses going back to his USC days, I think I like our chances that Canales will have at least respectable X’s and O’s knowledge.   So I suppose we’ll just have to hope for the best, hope that he’s creative, a fast processor, and can keep up.

Yes I'm hoping for the best and keeping an open mind. 

Apparently he has a book that he wrote with his wife:

https://www.amazon.com/This-Marriage-Question-Changed-Everything/dp/164146738X/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Great, that sounds like a perfect Harbaugh hire. Michigan guy, no actual OC experience, not on anyone's radar for an up-and-coming coach.

He has actual OC experience in college. Let's just say he sucked so badly with the Gators that our fanbase still talks trash about him today.

So far it's Canales and Todd Monken getting 2nd interviews. I really like that path so far and have no complaints about any part of this process. Harbaugh is being extremely diligent and the guys making the 2nd round are very deserving.

EDIT: More 2nd interviews:

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So far it's Canales and Todd Monken getting 2nd interviews. I really like that path so far and have no complaints about any part of this process. Harbaugh is being extremely diligent and the guys making the 2nd round are very deserving.

EDIT: More 2nd interviews:

Harbaugh has always gotten way more guff than deserved for his coordinator hires imo.

People have latched on to 1-2 examples of him promoting from within/family friends over his 15 years here and always assume that that's going to be the case with the next coordinator hired, and that they will fail because of that. And the vast, vast majority of the time, that hasn't been the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Harbaugh has always gotten way more guff than deserved for his coordinator hires imo.

People have latched on to 1-2 examples of him promoting from within/family friends over his 15 years here and always assume that that's going to be the case with the next coordinator hired, and that they will fail because of that. And the vast, vast majority of the time, that hasn't been the case.

Yea, that's one of (probably a few) criticisms I don't agree with for Harbs. Neither Roman nor Wink were totally bad hires, either. I actually think his timing on Roman's tenure/departure was defensible. He got one pass for injury ruined season (the offense was still producing way better than a more talented defense), but not 2. Mid-season firing would not have helped the team, given the personnel limitations to run another scheme. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, that's one of (probably a few) criticisms I don't agree with for Harbs. Neither Roman nor Wink were totally bad hires, either. I actually think his timing on Roman's tenure/departure was defensible. He got one pass for injury ruined season (the offense was still producing way better than a more talented defense), but not 2. Mid-season firing would not have helped the team, given the personnel limitations to run another scheme. 

Yup, hard agree.