Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

8 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Would we really make another switch after just one year?

Doubtful. And it really doesn’t make sense to switch, either. 

Ultimately this team is a multi-front defense. Whether they run a 3-4 base or a 4-3 base, it doesn’t really matter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Would we really make another switch after just one year?

One year of a failed 3-4 scheme, certainly does not lock in 3-4 going forward. I just personally thinking schematically, 4-3 personal with scheme can be more effective then 3-4. 

• Like 1

Mayo?  I think NE would be wise to 'hold the Mayo'.  Billy B isn't getting any younger and Mac Jones is likely causing him to age faster.  The front office there does a good job of long term planning, or so it seems.... they rarely have a losing season for a reason.

As regards a replacement of Donatell, it seems to me that O'Connell and Kwasi will favor interviews with someone they know or knew...   So, who does that suggest?  I dunno.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

One year of a failed 3-4 scheme, certainly does not lock in 3-4 going forward. I just personally thinking schematically, 4-3 personal with scheme can be more effective then 3-4. 

As I once posted recently, it seems that decision will be made based on the personnel that Kwasi and O'Connell retain this year, as well as rookies from last year that may develop into starters or role players in the front 7.  Of course, the new DC will have a say, and it may also determine which candidates Kwasi & O'Connell will pursue.

I suspect that if the Front Office doesn't move quickly on interviews, a SB or Championship game team will be the source of one candidate.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I like Jerod Mayo, the Patriots’ LB coach. He was drafted with O’Connell, and he’s very well respected. EDIT: Apparently he signed a new contract this week to stay in NE.

Ejiro Evero is probably the crown jewel to get, but he’s honestly not likely to leave Denver. He was with O’Connell in Los Angeles

Sean Desai is a name to watch out for. He was a finalist for the job last year. He was with Fangio and Donatell in Chicago, and was Chicago’s DC in 2021. O’Connell did mention keeping the same scheme, so another Fangio disciple should be high on the list. 

Brian Flores has a history with odd man fronts, and he is on everyone’s DC interview list. 

Jay Rodgers has connections to O’Connell with the Rams, and was also a coach under Fangio. 

Eric Henderson is another candidate with connections from the Rams.

I saw someone bring up Jim Leonhard. That would certainly have me intrigued. 

I agree with Jim Leonhard, I would not mind having him in.  I was glad when he left Wisconsin, the dude is a very sound defensive coach obviously.  Would love to steal him from Green Bay but not like they would fire Barry anyway.  

• Like 1

Are there collegiate DCs or HCs who would be a good candidate?

If so, name them and their qualifications and accomplishments.

Are there pro DCs or other D coaches who should be avoided?

If so, no need to name them, but state what traits of a DC candidate should be avoided.

BTW; what are ex-Coachilly and Mike Tice doing these days? 😕

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Which current DCs or other top D coaches might bring 1 or 2 front 7 players with them through free agency after being hired as DC?

Considering the roster situation they would be better in a 4/3 than a 3/4, only way that changes is if they draft or bring in a legit NT or big strong pass rushing DE.  Clearly Tomlinson/Phillips cannot cut it on their own they need a player really better than both of them to help them shine.  

Whew!   Finally!   KOC unfortunately had to quote those 6 all-importamt words "I admit I made a mistake."  

After watching the end of year press conference, it sure seems KOC wants to keep the base 3-4, which I realize has won a lot of AFC teams SB championships.  Its been a staple for the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots . . . Denver used it in their recent quest for a ring.  I still prefer the 4-3 -- its the norse way!

That said, why limit the replacement to a pro guy?   Are any college guys worth a look?  I'm thinking Glenn Schumann from Georgia should get a looksie.   He's only 32 though.  . .  

7 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Are there collegiate DCs or HCs who would be a good candidate?

If so, name them and their qualifications and accomplishments.

Are there pro DCs or other D coaches who should be avoided?

If so, no need to name them, but state what traits of a DC candidate should be avoided.

BTW; what are ex-Coachilly and Mike Tice doing these days? 😕

Beat me to it!  😃

I hope we go back to a 4-3. Current personnel cater better towards that, though I think we can see that side of the ball, especially veteran’s, blown up. Can’t get much worse. The 4-3 makes more sense to me because while a 4-3 base might not be run as much, nickel is kinda a 4-2 so it helps that your lineman are better suited. Either way, aggressiveness and a willingness to adjust scheme towards personnel is needed. Young, innovative, and aggressive make sense. Evero and Desai are the two top on my list. Mayo and Flores would be great, but I don’t think they leave their current teams. If McVay had left LA then the North Star would have been Morris, but there are several other guys there who we could look at in Cooley and Henderson. I wouldn’t be happy with Pettine. 

8 minutes ago, SouthernViking said:

Anyone have a list of coaches we interviewed last year for the position?

This was the HC list, freaking nuts Nathaniel Hackett and he was fired already...  Not sure that is all they did though.  And I forgot but  DeMeco Ryans was apparently top of their list for obvious reasons but he declined a 2nd HC interview with them last year.  Hope he gets a shot this year and assuming he will considering the 49ers might make it to the Super Bowl.  

Sunday, 1/16

Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett (completed)

Wednesday, 1/19

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn (completed)

Cowboys OC Kellen Moore (completed)

Thursday, 1/20

Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon (completed)

Friday, 1/21

Buccaneers DC Todd Bowles (completed)

Rams OC Kevin O'Connell (completed)

Rams DC Raheem Morris (completed)

Sunday, 1/23

49ers DC DeMeco Ryans

In terms of Desai, he is the associate Head coach and defensive assistant on Seattle, so not sure if he goes to be a DC here if that is a step down or not.