Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its going to be Pettine. I can feel it with my soul.

He's the perfect guy to help us lose in the playoffs.

In 7 years as a DC, he's been to the conference championship 4 times.  That's not exactly a bad record. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I get why he went to the Panthers. Money also talks. Rap said Panthers came in big time. He got a giant deal for a DC.

Agreed

Good young defense with a star or each level, paid like a low end HC and in a great position to become a HC next year. Also, Frank Reich stays away from the defensive side as well case in point Matt Ebeflus .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

exactly. there are more variables involved in us not having hired Flores already than a dismissive comment like the Vikings played it too "cute" and it backfired.

i feel a comment like that is more based in bias and disgruntlement than a global look at the landscape.

It's social media political talk translated over into sports.  It's why I generally only use Twitter for sports news now and go to a different (and new) site for general news/politics.  The absurdity of bias and disgruntlement (and a lack of being able to look at the big picture) on Twitter in regards to news/politics has always been bad, but it's even worse now since that moron took it over.  

I'm sure that the Vikings brass is disappointed at some of the outcomes, but I don't think it had anything to do with being cute, it's about being patient and making the correct choice.  The Vikings' ownership was patient last year and it seemed to pay off.  If some candidates aren't patient (which is understandable as they don't want to be left in the lurch), then it is what it is.  They shouldn't just make a decision based on fear that someone else may poach that candidate.  That's how they ended up with Childress. They should make a decision based on whether that candidate is the best available candidate for them and this particular job.     

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

Agreed

Good young defense with a star or each level, paid like a low end HC and in a great position to become a HC next year. Also, Frank Reich stays away from the defensive side as well case in point Matt Ebeflus .

I had a hope that his close relationship with Kevin and him knowing Kwesi from SF would win out. But it didn't. We also don't even know how high the Wilfs were gunna go with his salary either. The money could have been significantly different.

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

In 7 years as a DC, he's been to the conference championship 4 times.  That's not exactly a bad record. 

He had some success early on. And then had a few years of Aaron Rodgers. 

The issue I don’t like with the defense he brings is the same thing we saw this year….. this defense was basically his.  It’s why the Packers called for his head. 3 man rushes, and a non aggressive defense. It truly works if you can have some great DB’s, and can obtain coverage sacks, and typically you need to have at least 1 very good pass rushers. 

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

I had a hope that his close relationship with Kevin and him knowing Kwesi from SF would win out. But it didn't. We also don't even know how high the Wilfs were gunna go with his salary either. The money could have been significantly different.

I did find it kind of odd that they hired him with what appears to be little input from Reich, since he didn't really know him and there was no formal interview outside of likely a Zoom call maybe.  It appears that Carolina management really liked him from his HC interviews...and they certainly can do whatever they want, but I don't generally think it's a good sign to basically usurp the guy you just actually hired to be your HC and force him to work with someone he doesn't really know, except maybe superficially.  

57 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Flores still has a lawsuit pending against the NFL alleging he was discriminated against in head coaching opportunities. If he takes the Vikings' DC job before the process is complete in Arizona, he kills his case. He is, no doubt, aware of that. 

Louder

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

He had some success early on. And then had a few years of Aaron Rodgers. 

The issue I don’t like with the defense he brings is the same thing we saw this year….. this defense was basically his.  It’s why the Packers called for his head. 3 man rushes, and a non aggressive defense. It truly works if you can have some great DB’s, and can obtain coverage sacks, and typically you need to have at least 1 very good pass rushers. 

This defense was not Pettine's.  I know there has been a lot of speculation about him having influence, but he was mainly hired to help out KOC on head coaching decisions as he actually had experience doing it.  I doubt he had much influence over the scheme, as it's not like Donatell was a greenhorn.   Pettine had experience in bringing in players that would fit Donatell's scheme...and it appears to have worked out with Tonga and Shelley (2 guys he had in Chicago a year ago).  

I think I'd have to go back and research his defenses in Cleveland, Buffalo and NY to get a better grasp on his skills as a DC, because they likely had better talent than the Packers did, who really didn't focus on having a good defense for a decade, and only recently started investing more in it.  

Edited by swede700

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hypothetically, if Flores doesn’t get the job in Arizona, but takes the Broncos’ DC job instead of the Minnesota job, I wonder if Desai could be back in play. 

I think that ship has sailed. 

Also, I am confused about his Denver interview. I saw a report that Flores and Desai already have interviewed with Denver. Then another report that he interviews tomorrow with Denver. 

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think that ship has sailed. 

Also, I am confused about his Denver interview. I saw a report that Flores and Desai already have interviewed with Denver. Then another report that he interviews tomorrow with Denver. 

I also think Desai is the heavy favorite. Ben Allbright thinks so too. Fangio gave the blessing and it would be a seamless transition from what they've been doing for the past 5 years or whatever.

Edited by battle2heaven

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

That's probably just one more good reason why it's difficult for someone to pick Minnesota as they don't really get to bring in their own guys.  I'm actually kind of surprised why they haven't officially interviewed Greg Manusky either.  He certainly has DC experience as well.  

one Denver fan's take on Paton's status and Evero leaving:

"Paton is on the hottest seat of anyone in the organization and there may be nothing he can do to prevent his dismissal. The head coach does not report to him anymore, that’s a major change and it hurts his standing. And nobody had better standing on the football side than Evero, something he may have been able to leverage into a raise. He didn’t want to because he was upset that his best friend of 20+ years was fired and arguably in some ways scapegoated for Russ being terrible."