Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

A name that has also been mentioned and I believe interviewed for the position a year ago (ultimately fired by the Lions later that year though) and also has worked with KOC (ironically also worked in Washington and Cleveland but before KOC was in each of those places), is Aubrey Pleasant, currently a Packers consultant.  

Edited by swede700

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

A name that has also been mentioned and I believe interviewed for the position a year ago (ultimately fired by the Lions later that year though) and also has worked with KOC (ironically also worked in Washington and Cleveland but before KOC was in each of those places), is Aubrey Pleasant, currently a Packers consultant.  

Pleasant was the fall guy for the Lions sluggest start this year but I still think he's a very impressive coach and deserves another chance. But the optics of hiring a 1st time DC who was just fired this year from a lesser role, will not be good IMO. 

I don't think it will be him but I would love to bring him into the org in another capacity.

• Like 1

I'm very intrigued with Jim Leonhard. Would be disappointing if he doesn't at least get an interview.

Him and KO played on the Jets together back in 2009-11.

Only concern would be no NFL experience. Hard to be worse statistically than this year so maybe we endure some growing pains in 2023 with a top 25 defense and then make our run in 2024.

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Pleasant was the fall guy for the Lions sluggest start this year but I still think he's a very impressive coach and deserves another chance. But the optics of hiring a 1st time DC who was just fired this year from a lesser role, will not be good IMO. 

I don't think it will be him but I would love to bring him into the org in another capacity.

Do we really want a coach that was fired midseason? That team literally turned it around the second he was fired. No thanks! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

That generally only applies to HCs, not assistants (the HC we just lost to was a Patriots assistant coach for many years and did a pretty good job as Buffalo OC).  And for what it's worth, Vrabel has done an okay job in Tennessee.  

Why risk it, though? Vrabel has done an okay job, but should we list the failures from the Belichek tree? We just suffered through a historically bad defense, and while I don't see it being this bad again, why even risk it with Mayo? 

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Do we really want a coach that was fired midseason? That team literally turned it around the second he was fired. No thanks! 

No, they didn't.  Their secondary really wasn't any better since he was fired.  In fact, 4 of the top 7 games that they gave up the most yards passing were after he got fired.  He was a scapegoat for their overall poor defense.  But, since he was "pass game coordinator" for the defense, he took the fall.  The fact that he was immediately snapped up by Green Bay tells you everything you need to know about him.   

Edited by swede700

16 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Mayo?  I think NE would be wise to 'hold the Mayo'.  Billy B isn't getting any younger and Mac Jones is likely causing him to age faster.  The front office there does a good job of long term planning, or so it seems.... they rarely have a losing season for a reason.

As regards a replacement of Donatell, it seems to me that O'Connell and Kwasi will favor interviews with someone they know or knew...   So, who does that suggest?  I dunno.

If only we had Slick Rick and his 10 picks, the defensive talent could be reloaded (or redone), the Coordinator would be irrelevant, and anything could happen!!!

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I won’t be shocked if he gets hired as the DB coach. 

Been away for a while, but dropping by to deliver my .02!

I would love to bring in Jim Leonhard; his defenses, albeit at the college level, have consistenly been at, or near, the top of college football.

1. He has a brief connection with KOC as players with the NYJ
2. He has a more extensive connection with Mike Pettine (4 stops, NYJ, BAL, BUF, CLE)
3. His time in college has had him work against a lot of the QB run game, and RPO scheme that's trickling it's way up to the NFL.
4. I love his mix of safe creeper pressures combined with simulated pressure looks
5. The illusion of simplicity style of defense can work, but Leonhard does a better job mixing between MOFO and MOFC coverage; his Badger teams majored in MOFC 3/6 looks, and mixed in 2/4/8 looks
6. His players give everything they have, and love the guy
7. Unless it's Fangio, I want a guy on the south side of 50.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

No thanks to Jerod Mayo ever. Belichek coaches are always terrible outside of New England, and there's no reason to think otherwise with him.

Well Brian Daboll…. The HC of the team that just knocked us out started under Belichek.

Really the history isn’t as bad when you look at assistant coaches taking jobs, it’s typically when they go from OC/DC and get HC jobs right away.

59 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I would love to bring in Jim Leonhard; his defenses, albeit at the college level, have consistenly been at, or near, the top of college football.

2. He has a more extensive connection with Mike Pettine (4 stops, NYJ, BAL, BUF, CLE)
3. His time in college has had him work against a lot of the QB run game, and RPO scheme that's trickling it's way up to the NFL.
4. I love his mix of safe creeper pressures combined with simulated pressure looks
5. The illusion of simplicity style of defense can work, but Leonhard does a better job mixing between MOFO and MOFC coverage; his Badger teams majored in MOFC 3/6 looks, and mixed in 2/4/8 looks

The more I read about Leonhard from the college football crowd, the more I like him. I think he’d be 2nd on my list behind Sean Desai.

5 hours ago, RpMc said:

Good to have you back! I hope you stay a regular throughout the off-season leading up to the draft!

• Like 1