Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

Rams defensive backs coach Jonathan Cooley is a coach that O’Connell had tried once to bring onto his staff, but was blocked by Sean McVay from doing so. On Wednesday, Cooley was released from his duties as defensive backs coach. Cooley could come to Minnesota in many capacities and defensive coordinator could be a worthy promotion for him. He also comes from the Vic Fangio tree and has some familiarity with O’Connell.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-defensive-coordinator-ed-donatell-vic-fangio-sean-desai-mike-pettine-raheem-morris-jonathan-cooley/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR22MsxrFEgHfJxkRN-nVrwznbUtOO50FTX1drDjt2Y2mwaKpcGUQw9CYNo

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Points allowed in 2021 under Mike Zimmer - 426

Points allowed in 2022 under Ed Donatell - 427

So, Zimmer would be an improvement over Donatell if he were brought back...

😉

Actually, this is an 'apples to oranges' comparison of the impact of a HC vs DC on D points allowed.

Further, some of those points were pick-six points on the Vikings QBs or recovery of fumble rumble TDs on the Vikings QBs, WRs, RBs.

Of course, those stats MAY have been adjusted for defensive opponent scores.  I'm not sure...

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Points allowed in 2021 under Mike Zimmer - 426

Points allowed in 2022 under Ed Donatell - 427

But how many snaps did Hunter play in 2021 versus 2022?  Z. Smith?  This seasons D should have been markedly better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

So, Zimmer would be an improvement over Donatell if he were brought back...

😉

Actually, this is an 'apples to oranges' comparison of the impact of a HC vs DC on D points allowed.

Further, some of those points were pick-six points on the Vikings QBs or recovery of fumble rumble TDs on the Vikings QBs, WRs, RBs.

Of course, those stats MAY have been adjusted for defensive opponent scores.  I'm not sure...

Has a head coach ever returned to the team that fired them to be a coordinator?

If Zimmer could focus on the defense and return to being the Bengals version of himself, I’d be happy with that and the scheme. Unfortunately, he’s probably past his usefulness as a nfl coach. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Has a head coach ever returned to the team that fired them to be a coordinator?

If Zimmer could focus on the defense and return to being the Bengals version of himself, I’d be happy with that and the scheme. Unfortunately, he’s probably past his usefulness as a nfl coach. 

Haha not a shot 

11 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Zero reservations here. Flores would be a hell of a hire.

Really Flores should get a shot at being a HC again and I am sure he would take that over any DC job.

Also if we got Desai, won't that be a demotion for him since he is the associate HC in Seattle?   If Andre Patterson wanted to return as the DC I would take him in a second as well.  

I am curious, was it Donatell's influence that lead the Vikings to not take Kyle Hamilton?  Did he think he was too slow?  Or was it a GM choice to save money and they thought Hamilton was damaged goods because he was hurt a bit in college?

That was a massive mistake, the guy is a freak show rookie and can do so much, cover the slot, cover the TE, blitz, drop back deep, tackle in the open field etc.  He was better than Lewis Cine in college and he is better than Cine as a pro, no way Cine would have been as productive or as impactful as a rookie like Hamilton was.  In a way lucky for Hamilton he was not drafted here, he would have just been asked to sit back deep in coverage and would have never been put on attack.  Maybe they thought Hamilton was slow and Cine was fast because he ran well at the combine, Hamilton sure does not look slow in these highlights.