Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

6 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

So I guess we’ll get one more new name. 

Maybe. I think Flores is their primary target, he’d almost have to be given his profile. With Desai as option B.

Flores is interviewing with Arizona on Monday for their HC spot. And Miami has requested an interview with Desai. If the Vikings lose out on Desai while they wait for Flores, then I think a new name or two could come out. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Maybe. I think Flores is their primary target, he’d almost have to be given his profile. With Desai as option B.

Flores is interviewing with Arizona on Monday for their HC spot. And Miami has requested an interview with Desai. If the Vikings lose out on Desai while they wait for Flores, then I think a new name or two could come out. 

Would be so Vikings if they lost out on top 2 choices because of timing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Flores is much more aggressive than Donatell I gather? 

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Flores is much more aggressive than Donatell I gather? 

On a scale of 1-10, he’s an 11 compared to Donatell. 

The Vikings blitzed on 18.9% of the time under Donatell. For comparison, they blitzed 26.1% in 2021, and 26.9% in 2020 under Zimmer

Under Flores, the Dolphins blitzed 39.6% of the time in 2021, and 40.8% in 2020. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance we could keep Flores, should we sign him, for 2 years before he gets another HC gig?

If he has significant success, not likely.  I wouldn't be a huge fan of hiring him (since he doesn't seem to be great defensive mind, as I still gave more credit to Belichick for NE's defensive success), but I'd certainly hope he does well and would have the opportunity to get hired away after a year, because that means we did well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If he has significant success, not likely.  I wouldn't be a huge fan of hiring him (since he doesn't seem to be great defensive mind, as I still gave more credit to Belichick for NE's defensive success), but I'd certainly hope he does well and would have the opportunity to get hired away after a year, because that means we did well.

Belichick didn’t have a hand in turning around the Dolphins defense, which in turn regressed after Flores’ departure. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Belichick didn’t have a hand in turning around the Dolphins defense, which in turn regressed after Flores’ departure. 

Fair enough.  He'd probably bring Boyer with him, who McDaniel kept, but has now fired.  

Edited by swede700

10 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I just read through the thread here when Donatell was hired, and the overall reaction was lukewarm at best. Looks like we got that one right!

Interesting to see who is next.

I'm not sure there were that many that were real enthused about it.  I really didn't like the move to the 3-4 to begin with, so that had a lot to do with my hesitation.  Also, his run as DC in GB wasn't much to be thrilled about either (although he ran a 4-3 there at the time).  

• Like 1