Justin Jefferson: What more in Year 4?

vike daddy

Lance to Jefferson!

Hooker to Jefferson!

**just stirring the pot**

I'd love to see Jefferson win MVP someday or hit 2k yards, but 1) you probably need multiple QBs on your team to do that along with it being a massive down year for QBs league wide and 2) you're probably losing a lot to hit 2k more than likely.

Maybe I'm wrong on 2. Jefferson and Kupp almost did it after all!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Vikings selected former LSU wide receiver Justin Jefferson with the 22nd overall pick in the 2020 Draft a little over three years ago. And now, he and the rest of that 2020 class are heading into their fourth NFL season this fall. Tuesday was the deadline for the first-round picks from that draft class to have their fifth-year options extended. The Vikings made the no-brainer decision to opt into Jefferson’s option back on April 25th.

However, if we look at the list of players who actually got their fifth-year options in this class, it’s a very short one. For example, Jalen Reagor, who was the 21st selection in that draft, had his option declined by the Vikings. Reagor having his option declined means that out of the 28 eligible picks, 15 of them (if we count Jordan Love’s new contract as a fifth-year option) will not have their fifth-year picked up for 2024. 

So, with all that taken into account, of the 13 players that had their fifth-year options picked up, only nine of them were non-QBs. There were only two players selected between Nos. 18-32 to have their options picked up as well. Those two were Jefferson and 49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk.

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/opinion/vikings-got-lucky/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Davante Adams signed a five-year, $140 million deal with the Las Vegas Raiders in 2022, with a total of $65.67 million guaranteed. That was the most lucrative contract for a wideout in league history until the Kansas City Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins later in the offseason, after which Hill signed a four-year extension worth $120 million that included $72.2 million in guaranteed money.

A contract extension for Jefferson is expected come at some point before or during next offseason. The exact amount of that deal is hard to predict, though given a recent spike in receiver salaries the total should be substantial. Bleacher Report projected that Minnesota will ink the three-time Pro Bowler to a six-year deal worth $190 million, with $97.5 million guaranteed.

If Davenport is correct, Jefferson’s coming extension will make him the richest pass-catcher in NFL history based on overall contract value and annual salary ($31.67 million per season).

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/justin-jefferson-contract-extension-tyreek-hill/

On 4/25/2023 at 5:47 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Lance to Jefferson!

Hooker to Jefferson!

**just stirring the pot**

I'd love to see Jefferson win MVP someday or hit 2k yards, but 1) you probably need multiple QBs on your team to do that along with it being a massive down year for QBs league wide and 2) you're probably losing a lot to hit 2k more than likely.

Maybe I'm wrong on 2. Jefferson and Kupp almost did it after all!

Would have to assume your defense isn’t any good if a receiver is putting up 2k given how likely the offense is to get away from running the ball if the defense can’t keep a team under 30.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Former Viking GM Jeff Diamond: "On Justin Jefferson’s absence: I’ll say first that this is totally expected from an elite, all-pro player in the midst of negotiating a record-breaking contract for wide receivers that will exceed Tyreek Hill’s $30 million per year extension signed last year. It’s highly unlikely that J.J. will run any routes at OTAs or minicamp until his extension is signed. There’s too much at risk for him (which his agent is surely reinforcing to him).  

I think he’ll be here for minicamp in an observing role and perhaps do some walk-throughs and possibly at the latter OTA sessions. I see this deal getting done soon enough that Jefferson will be ready for training camp."

O’Connell: “We’ve had great dialogue throughout the offseason, and I’ll keep that between Justin and me. We’d love to have him here, obviously, and hopefully get him some work. I just know he’s getting his work in wherever he is, and I look forward to seeing him when he comes up, and I know his teammates will be excited to see him.”  

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/vikings-insider/the-gm-view/5-takeaways?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

It makes more sense to me than when players used to holdout mid-contract just because they wanted a new one.  With starters generally not playing in the preseason at all any longer, it makes even more sense, since they aren't really going to get in rhythm with the QB until Week 2 or 3 anyway.  😉  

39 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

minimizing risk of getting hurt, and then not getting the big bucks?

It’s actually the opposite. Players are still working out, they are simply doing it on their own with a personal trainer. So the risk of getting hurt still exists. The issue is, what if they get hurt?

If a player gets hurt while training at the team facility, they are covered. Their salary, their bonus money, everything remains secured. But if a player gets hurt while training away from the team facility, their bonus/guaranteed money can be voided by the team. And they can lose their security. 

Most teams aren’t likely going to go so far as to void a players bonus/guaranteed money, especially a super star’s. But it leaves the door for the opportunity open. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/05/nfl-reiterates-that-injuries-away-from-team-facilities-expose-players-to-losing-their-salaries/

According to this it may actually be even worse, as instead of losing out on bonus/guaranteed money like i previous said, a player could lose out on their entire salary. Paragraph 5 salary is the salary that a player receives during the regular season. 

So, for a player like Jefferson, that’s everything he’s owed minus his signing bonus. Unless there’s a provision that excludes players on rookie deals. 

• Like 1