Justin Jefferson: What more in Year 4?

vike daddy

28 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Here's a question for a numbers guy who is bored...

How many games would JJ have to have, averaging 115 yards per game, to bring his career average to 100 yards per game?

Off the top of my head, an additional ~12 games (he’s played 50 games, currently) @ 115 yards/game = average of 100.08 yards/game.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Here's a question for a numbers guy who is bored...

How many games would JJ have to have, averaging 115 yards per game, to bring his career average to 100 yards per game?

Short Answer: If JJ averages 115 per game through the first 12 weeks he'll be averaging more than 100 ypg throughout his carreer.

Boring explanation: According to Pro Football Reference JJ has played 50 games and gained 4825 yards in his career.

Let X equal the total number of games.

Solve for the point where 100 yards per game times the total number of games played equals the sum of 115 times the number of additional games JJ will have to play and his current yardage after his first 50 games.

Boiling it down to an equation, which is easier to solve than an English sentence:

100x = 115(x-50) + 4825. 

Solve for X (I assume nobody needs me to enumerate the steps with the explanation of each step, but if you don't know algebra and want me to do that I could make the explanation longer and more boring)

X = 61.6666

If the practical domain only includes complete games he would need to play 62 games, which is 12 more than he has already played.

• Like 4

so i'll ask to have this equation solved then...

what does JJ have to average per game over the coming 17 game season to end up with a 100+ yard per game career average?

and how many total yards will he get in the season in doing so?

this seems like a very pertinent What More in Season Four kind of question.....

Edited by vike daddy

No wide receiver has ever hit 2K. Calvin Johnson's come the closest, posting an NFL-record 1,964 yards in 2012. Nine years later, Cooper Kupp reached 1,947 yards. In 2023, Jefferson could make history. Shoot, it's just the natural progression of Jefferson's NFL production, from 1,400 yards in Year 1 to 1,616 yards in Year 2 to 1,809 yards last season.

To reach 2,000, he needs to average just under 118 yards over 17 games. Jefferson is the kind of unstoppable force who can make that happen, especially in Year 2 of Kevin O'Connell's offense. And his new WR running mate in Jordan Addison – Minnesota's first-round pick in April – will help the cause by commanding more attention than the Vikings complementary targets last season.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-2023-predictions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

so i'll ask to have this equation solved then...

what does JJ have to average per game over the coming 17 game season to end up with a 100+ yard per game career average?

and how many total yards will he get in the season in doing so?

this seems like a very pertinent What More in Season Four kind of question.....

1875 yards/17 games = ~110.29 yards/game to average 100 yards/game for career (67 games at this point). 

15 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

1875 yards/17 games = ~110.29 yards/game to average 100 yards/game for career (67 games at this point). 

so he'll need to average 118 yards per game to both break 2000K for a season and increase his career game yardage over 100. (would be 101.8 yards a game)

you have to think that's actually doable....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so he'll need to average 118 yards per game to both break 2000K for a season and increase his career game yardage over 100. (would be 101.8 yards a game)

you have to think that's actually doable....

Yes, it’s doable! If any WR can do it, it’s gotta be JJ.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Assuming team health, I’d rather have him around 1400-1500 yards. That means Addison/Osborn/Hock are all making the offense more diverse and less predictable.

Or Kirk could pull a Lamar Jackson and just throw for 6000 yards...