Free Agents that won't be free...

vike daddy

A thread to watch, target, discuss, and acquire free agents this coming season.

The Minnesota Vikings are going to see some massive turnover in 2023 and free agency will play a big part in that. One thing that will help get a jump start on free agency is seeing who is out there.

This weekend, there are four games that will feature teams with quite a few a free agent options. Seeing them in action helps project if they could be impactful for the Vikings. We identified 20 projected free agents playing on Saturday afternoon that could be a target for the Vikings in March.

Chiefs WR JuJu Smith-Schuster
Chiefs DE Carlos Dunlap
Chiefs IDL Derrick Nnadi
Chiefs WR Mecole Hardman
Chiefs WR Justin Watson

Jaguars WR Marvin Jones Jr.
Jaguars EDGE Arden Key
Jaguars IDL Adam Gotsis
Jaguars CB Tre Herndon
Jaguars RB JaMychal Hasty (RFA)

Giants WR Sterling Shepard
Giants EDGE Jihad Ward
Giants WR Richie James
Giants CB/S Julian Love

Eagles IDL Javon Hargrave
Eagles LB Kyzir White
Eagles LB T.J. Edwards
Eagles RB Miles Sanders
Eagles S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Eagles QB Gardner Minshew

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-2023-divisional-round-juju-smith-schuster-gardner-minshew-javon-hargrave-marvin-jones-jr-mecole-hardman/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1e6DAKghVIz3eZSfTEieaZMIKkrobWwAiB6H82KF5MVOlel3sUti-XBX4

Edited by vike daddy

• 2 weeks later...

Richie James and Darius Slayton, I would not mind having either one of those two.  James played outstanding last year as a slot WR, sure Vikings will keep Osborn one more year because he is cheap and productive but if Thielen is out I would not mind bringing one of those two Giant WRs in, both can play and Slayton has that deep threat ability no one else really has.

Jalen Reagor I was not impressed with at all, he was crazy unproductive or impactful for the team but not a huge shock.  I would much rather have Richie James return punts and actually would make plays at WR.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Darren Wolfson revealed that Minnesota should keep two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Tremaine Edmunds on its radar. Edmunds, 25, admitted he’s looking forward to entering free agency after five seasons with the Buffalo Bills. He’s expected to garner plenty of interest in free agency as one of the most explosive linebackers in the league, with the Vikings among potential suitors.

“Maybe I’ll be able to advance a little more in depth, intel-wise, next week, but those are two names I think you can have on your radar, ” Wolfson said, adding that New York Jets center Connor McGovern is also a potential free-agent target for the Vikings.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR0HxomlCYocKOVFbIA9POai5bLssQoN9BVOD7qjn0zXnv3kV0rGZEifgF4

19 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Darren Wolfson revealed that Minnesota should keep two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Tremaine Edmunds on its radar. Edmunds, 25, admitted he’s looking forward to entering free agency after five seasons with the Buffalo Bills. He’s expected to garner plenty of interest in free agency as one of the most explosive linebackers in the league, with the Vikings among potential suitors.

“Maybe I’ll be able to advance a little more in depth, intel-wise, next week, but those are two names I think you can have on your radar, ” Wolfson said, adding that New York Jets center Connor McGovern is also a potential free-agent target for the Vikings.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR0HxomlCYocKOVFbIA9POai5bLssQoN9BVOD7qjn0zXnv3kV0rGZEifgF4

I’m not really a big fan of dropping mad aav on an off ball lb. I hope doogie is incorrect here. 

Edited by battle2heaven

23 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Me either - but Asamoah and Edmunds would be a full 180 from last year and really fun to watch!

Yeah but, what makes more sense for this team, 15 AAV for Edmunds, or use that for Jamel Dean or Dre'Mont Jones (or someone else that gives you interior pressure?)

I just feel its a luxury the Vikings can't really afford right now.

24 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Yeah but, what makes more sense for this team, 15 AAV for Edmunds, or use that for Jamel Dean or Dre'Mont Jones (or someone else that gives you interior pressure?)

I just feel its a luxury the Vikings can't really afford right now.

I agree with you! I was just thinking about what it would look like on the field if that's the direction that they chose to go. Edmunds would be a monster in Flores' scheme, imo.

• Like 1

The Jets dealt with a lot of change in the 2022 season, specifically along the offensive line and at quarterback. Perhaps no one dealt with more moving pieces than center Connor McGovern, the only player who took all 1,114 offensive snaps and started 17 games.

McGovern:  "Definitely not perfect, but got better. I think every year I've been here I've improved and I'm coming off my best season so far. So from that standpoint, I guess it feels pretty good, but nothing feels better than going to the playoffs and winning. Just made strides in all aspects of the game -- run blocking, pass blocking, very few penalties, all that kind of stuff. So it was just overall as a pretty good year for myself from an improvement standpoint."

McGovern, who signed with the Jets in 2020, is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March. The former Broncos fifth-round pick in 2016 out of Missouri not only dealt with a lot of change this past season, but also in his three years in green and white. He's played for two head coaches, two offensive coordinators and has seen a young team blossom from 2 wins in 2020 to 4 in 2021 and 7 in 2022. This year he snapped the ball to four quarterbacks, blocked for five running backs and communicated alongside four right guards (LG Laken Tomlinson started all 17 games).

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-c-connor-mcgovern-coming-off-best-season-in-nfl-career

Edited by vike daddy

Commanders defensive back Bobby McCain is on the way out in Washington. McCain is being cut, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. The move saves the Commanders the $4.42 million they would have paid him this year in salary, roster bonus and workout bonus, none of which was guaranteed.

The 29-year-old McCain spent the last two seasons in Washington and started 16 games each year. He’ll catch on somewhere else, but likely for less money. McCain hits free agency as soon as his release is official on the NFL transaction wire and does not have to wait for the March 15 start of free agency to shop himself to a new team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/27/commanders-cut-bobby-mccain/

The following are PFT’s top 100 free agents for the start of the 2023 league year. The rankings include prospective unrestricted free agents and released players. 

1. Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson

2. Raiders quarterback Derek Carr

3. Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith

4. Giants quarterback Daniel Jones

5. Eagles defensive tackle Javon Hargrave

6. Commanders defensive tackle Daron Payne

7. Chiefs offensive tackle Orlando Brown

8. Bucs cornerback Jamel Dean

9. Eagles safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

10. Bengals safety Jessie Bates

11. 49ers offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey

12. Eagles cornerback James Bradberry

13. 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo

14. Raiders running back Josh Jacobs

15. Giants running back Saquon Barkley

16. Vikings defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson

17. Eagles linebacker T.J. Edwards

18. Rams linebacker Bobby Wagner

19. Patriots receiver Jakobi Meyers

20. Bucs linebacker Lavonte David

21. Titans linebacker David Long

22. Saints defensive end Marcus Davenport

23. Broncos defensive tackle Dre'Mont Jones

24. Jaguars offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor

25. Cardinals defensive lineman Zach Allen

26. Bills linebacker Tremaine Edmunds

27. Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones

28. Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox

29. Cowboys running back Tony Pollard

30. Falcons offensive tackle Kaleb McGary

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/27/nfl-top-100-2023-free-agents-lamar-jackson-derek-carr-geno-smith-top-the-list/

• Like 1