Other Playoffs Games

SteelKing728

44 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't believe it's yet real clear what they are building on the defensive side of the ball.  We haven't seen enough as far as drafting ability to know what their intention is, other than to build more speed.  Also, it's not as if the Chiefs are exactly a physically dominating team and they've been in the mix far more often than the Eagles have been.  For all we know, this may be the only shot the Eagles have. considering the age of their defense, which isn't exactly made up of spring chickens (and neither is their offensive line whose primary players have been in the league 10 and 12 years). 

It’s pretty clear to see what type of team they’re trying to build given the constraints that the Wilfs constantly place on the coaching staff. They can’t completely do their own thing.  They’re required to adhere to what the Wilfs want, as unfortunate as that is.  They don’t want to let go of certain players; they don’t want to take certain but necessary risks; they don’t ever want to drop below .500.  It’s like such a thing would be doomsday to those guys. 

I can get into this more in another thread. But I’d take any defense left 1,000 times before I’d take the Vikings defense. Eagles have done a lot better job at developing draft picks than we have. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morlee said:

It’s pretty clear to see what type of team they’re trying to build given the constraints that the Wilfs constantly place on the coaching staff. They can’t completely do their own thing.  They’re required to adhere to what the Wilfs want, as unfortunate as that is.  They don’t want to let go of certain players; they don’t want to take certain but necessary risks; they don’t ever want to drop below .500.  It’s like such a thing would be doomsday to those guys. 

I can get into this more in another thread. But I’d take any defense left 1,000 times before I’d take the Vikings defense. Eagles have done a lot better job at developing draft picks than we have. 

Is this all based on them wanting a competitive rebuild?

I don't disagree with your last point on the development of draft picks...and yes, it certainly was clear that ownership wants to continue to compete.  I don't have a qualm with that.  Why should they just take the Bears route?  The Eagles didn't either.  They fell apart in 2020, but outside of 2017 and this year, they've been pretty much the same team as the Vikings have been over the last 15 years.  Unfortunately, the only difference is that the Vikings haven't cashed in on it when they've had the opportunity.   

I am never in the camp of tearing it down to rebuild because it hardly ever works.  Far more often than not, those teams end up being the Bengals (for the greater part of 30+ years), Browns, Jaguars, Jets or now Texans.  You never see the Steelers tearing it down nor even the Chiefs or Ravens.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't disagree with your last point on the development of draft picks...and yes, it certainly was clear that ownership wants to continue to compete.  I don't have a qualm with that.  Why should they just take the Bears route?  The Eagles didn't either.  They fell apart in 2020, but outside of 2017 and this year, they've been pretty much the same team as the Vikings have been over the last 15 years.  

The Eagles had a young QB in Hurts that showed promise and they’re just better at doing most things than we are. And I mean, Eagles won a Super Bowl in 2017, and they’re probably going to compete for another one this year. They’ve also made a trip tot he playoffs multiple years in between, going pretty deep in 2018, only losing to the Saints because their WR let the ball pass through his hands for an INT.

They’re much more successful and better equipped than the Vikings. They’ve not really been the same team at all. I don’t understand why so many Vikings fans are so darn high on their team when we have shown nothing to be so excited about  sure, be happy that Cousins was more clutch this year, and be happy that Jefferson was drafted to Minnesota, but we’ve done little to nothing to promote this overconfidence that I see so many Vikings fans having  

Difference between the Vikings and the Eagles is that the latter knows when and how to change things, even things that they may deem vital, in order to “re-tool”. 

I enjoyed this season for what it was but I never expected them to do anything when it actually mattered.  And I was right.  As I always am when it comes to the Vikings. 

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is this all based on them wanting a competitive rebuild?

That’s partially the reason, but I also tried to get behind that, discoursing from my internal thoughts on the choice. 

I mean, I’m hoping that they give the coaches that they hired, full control and choice over everything when their plan fails. Since, well, we all know that it’s going to. 

5 minutes ago, Morlee said:

The Eagles had a young QB in Hurts that showed promise and they’re just better at doing most things than we are. And I mean, Eagles won a Super Bowl in 2017, and they’re probably going to compete for another one this year. They’ve also made a trip tot he playoffs multiple years in between, going pretty deep in 2018, only losing to the Saints because their WR let the ball pass through his hands for an INT.

They’re much more successful and better equipped than the Vikings. They’ve not really been the same team at all. I don’t understand why so many Vikings fans are so darn high on their team when we have shown nothing to be so excited about  sure, be happy that Cousins was more clutch this year, and be happy that Jefferson was drafted to Minnesota, but we’ve done little to nothing to promote this overconfidence that I see so many Vikings fans having  

Difference between the Vikings and the Eagles is that the latter knows when and how to change things, even things that they may deem vital, in order to “re-tool”. 

I enjoyed this season for what it was but I never expected them to do anything when it actually mattered.  And I was right.  As I always am when it comes to the Vikings. 

I'm glad you're so confident in your dismissal of their fortunes and accuracy in their outcome.  So, why do you cheer for them then?  If you have no hope in them ever, I don't understand why you put yourself through such misery?   I'm pretty sure most of us really didn't expect a lot out of them come playoff time, but we don't revel in being correct about it, as you seem to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'm glad you're so confident in your dismissal of their fortunes and accuracy in their outcome.  So, why do you cheer for them then?  If you have no hope in them ever, I don't understand why you put yourself through such misery?   I'm pretty sure most of us really didn't expect a lot out of them come playoff time, but we don't revel in being correct about it, as you seem to.  

We are all getting old, aren’t we? I don’t know if I’ll see a Viking championship in my lifetime, but I’d rather ride on the side of actuality than overconfidence. That doesn’t mean you can never compliment them.  Like I have for 2022 Cousins, and Jefferson, and Shelley, and some of KOC.  I had hope in 1998, 2009 and a little in 2017. 

I’ll never understand why so many Viking fans only want to be blinded with false positives, and pretend as though this team is more than what they are. You can be heavily critical of a team, and a sincere fan also.  They’re both possible. If you want just the glazed surface of everything regarding, you can always listen to KFAN.  Most Vikings stations out there tediously give us that. 

As for why I cheer for them — trust me, it’s gotten really difficult over the years. Really hard. But they’ve always been my team and I’m not one to change, so instead of just flip flopping to another team, I watch every year hoping they’ll surprise me. 

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Because someone needs to be that guy.  That guy to be realistic. We are all getting old, aren’t we? I don’t know if I’ll see a Viking championship in my lifetime, but I’d rather ride on the side of actuality than overconfidence. That doesn’t mean you can never compliment them.  Like I have for 2022 Cousins, and Jefferson, and Shelley, and some of KOC.  I had hope in 1998, 2009 and a little in 2017. 

I’ll never understand why so many Viking fans only want to be blinded with false positives, and pretend as though this team is more than what they are. You can be heavily critical of a team, and a sincere fan also.  They’re both possible. If you want just the glazed surface of everything regarding, you can always listen to KFAN.  Most Vikings stations out there tediously give us that. 

As for why I cheer for them — trust me, it’s gotten really difficult over the years. Really hard. But they’ve always been my team and I’m not one to change, so instead of just flip flopping to another team, I watch every year hoping they’ll surprise me. 

Hey, I certainly don't disagree with you, but you just sound, at least to me, like you're not expecting anything ever to be different.  I'm not like Pollyanna Paul (like when you refer to KFAN), but try to be optimistic.  I don't nearly take the games as hard as I did when I was 10 years old watching Marine Sargeant Les wear down the team on a visit to Pecos River or being absolutely dumbfounded watching the defense fold down the stretch and Denny taking a knee in the NFCC vs. the Falcons (Blaming Gary Anderson is ridiculous), so I've put it in perspective.  I don't consider it to be blinding optimism, but hopeful realism.  It's really hard to win a title and the reality is that the Vikings, regardless of talent or coaching, haven't had great luck or success in the playoffs in my lifetime.  But, like Steve often says around here, once they get to the playoffs, anything could happen... 

If you believe that we are filled with false positivity here, then I believe you're talking about a different crowd.  Many of us here have been here for 15+ years...the last thing we are is falsely positive...I imagine we drove some people away because of our frank, but respectful, discussion. 🤣  We are realistic, but we try to retain a modicum of hope, because what else is there?    We certainly don't hang our hats on a belief that 2 SB titles in 30 years of HoF QBing is a good basis to demean another team's fandom.  😉

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

Though quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo is steadily recovering from his broken foot, the 49ers he’s not going to replace Brock Purdy as San Francisco’s starting quarterback in what little remains of the 2022 postseason.

But it’s still possible that Garoppolo could be an option to back up Purdy if the 49ers were to make it to Super Bowl LVII.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/kyle-shanahan-would-be-very-surprised-if-jimmy-garoppolo-is-available-to-play-this-week/

Never before have the final four teams in the NFL playoff race had no clear favorite and no significant underdog like this year, when the betting odds suggest the Eagles, Chiefs, Bengals and 49ers are almost perfectly matched.

The two home teams — the Eagles and Chiefs — are slight favorites in Sunday’s conference championship games, and for the odds to win the Super Bowl there’s almost perfect balance among the four teams.

Sports books are currently listing the Eagles and Chiefs as slight co-favorites to win the Super Bowl, with +260 odds, and the Bengals and 49ers just behind them at +275.

This is unprecedented as far back as records of betting odds go: Never before has there been this complete lack of a clear favorite heading into the two conference championship games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/unprecedented-betting-odds-show-no-clear-favorite-among-eagles-chiefs-bengals-49ers/

The Eagles have a crap ton of good DBs, so do the Bengals, 49ers, Chiefs, and the Bills did but most of them are or were injured.  

49ers are a fun team to watch with a defensive identity, not to mention they have super weapons, and at WR Deebo, Aijyuk and Jennings are all physical receivers who can get big time YAC.  Vikings have only one guy that can do that really and that is Hockenson.  Jefferson maybe but really he is quick he cannot take contact well and keep going.  

Trenton Irwin on the Bengals is a damn good receiver and a great route runner, one heck of a 4th WR in a team already stacked at WR.  

• Like 1