TE Talk

nicfre2011

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

A few categories potentially to put the TEs into, but clearly there are four top guys and these are the four.

Michael Mayer Notre Dame JR
Tucker Kraft South Dakota State RS SOPH
Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Darnell Washington Georgia JR

Washington is the best blocker by far, Mayer is good but will be curious how he runs, seems a little stumpy with his length but is aggressive after the catch.  Kincaid had a great year and is apparently a great athlete so teams will love that.  Kraft might be the most complete TE, might be more athletic and just as tough as Mayer and might be a better blocker but we will see.  Washington has come on as a pass catcher, not just a blocker like he was early in his career, and obviously DBs struggle to get him down at that massive size but he is not super fast.  Teams want that athletic TE who can get YAC and play aggressively, if they run good routes, are agile and are physical after the catch they are almost unstoppable similar to Kittle and Kelce.  

Best blocking TEs:

Johnny Lumpkin Louisiana RS

Best YAC TEs:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Travis Vokolek Nebraska RS
Zach Kuntz Old Dominion RS JR
Brayden Willis Oklahoma RS
Michael Ezeike UCLA
Mason Fairchild Kansas

Most all around TEs:

Luke Schoonmaker Michigan
Zach Heins South Dakota State
Nate Adkins South Carolina

Most athletic TEs:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Travis Vokolek Nebraska RS
Princeton Fant Tennessee RS
Johnny Langan Rutgers RS
Michael Ezeike UCLA
Josh Whyle Cincinnati RS 
Davis Allen Clemson 
Brenton Strange Penn State RS JR
Keon Zipperer Florida

Best High point catching TEs

Payne Durham Purdue RS 
Zach Kuntz Old Dominion RS JR
Davis Allen Clemson 
Michael Ezeike UCLA
Brenton Strange Penn State RS JR
Josh Whyle Cincinnati RS 
Zach Heins South Dakota State
Johnny Lumpkin Louisiana RS

Best Route Running TEs:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Sam LaPorta Iowa 
Cameron Latu Alabama RS 
Will Mallory Miami FL RS 
Luke Schoonmaker Michigan

HB types potentially:

Johnny Langan Rutgers RS
Hunter Luepke NDSU 
Nate Adkins South Carolina
Keon Zipperer Florida

Fastest TEs potentially:

Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Johnny Langan Rutgers RS
Keon Zipperer Florida
Josh Whyle Cincinnati RS 

Ozzy,

I noticed that you don't have Luke Musgrave listed anywhere....are you that low on him as a prospect?

4 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Ozzy,

I noticed that you don't have Luke Musgrave listed anywhere....are you that low on him as a prospect?

I am not super familiar with him, is odd his production is so low but will be interesting how he works out.  Seems like any 6-5+ 250 TE that flashes any ability at all in the passing game has a shot in the league.

Travis Vokolek to me is the big tall raw TE with pass catching skills, I was impressed with him this year in his ability to stretch the field and he is well put together, solid kid just had a lot of injury issues this past year or he would have been far more productive.

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am not super familiar with him, is odd his production is so low but will be interesting how he works out.  Seems like any 6-5+ 250 TE that flashes any ability at all in the passing game has a shot in the league.

Travis Vokolek to me is the big tall raw TE with pass catching skills, I was impressed with him this year in his ability to stretch the field and he is well put together, solid kid just had a lot of injury issues this past year or he would have been far more productive.

Musgrave played in two games this year before he got hurt. I will have to take a closer look at Vokolek. Thanks for the great posts...lots of lesser known names for me to check out.

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

I like him. He’s probably a 120-125 range player for me 

Similar feeling. I see him landing somewhere in the 90-140 range, depending on how he tests. I think he'll be a solid NFL TE. Lacks size and power, but he's a polished, smart blocker with plenty of want-to. As a receiver, he's not the most sudden guy, but he's a good athlete with reliable (but not elite) mitts and a savvy route runner. He also runs better after the catch than I expected. I think he'll be productive in the NFL. The big problem I see with him is he's more of a jack of all trades type. He's not elite at anything and isn't an athletic mismatch. But there's value in having a guy who is adept at working himself open, runs hard after the catch, and will give plenty of effort as a blocker.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

I like both the Penn State tight ends.

Theo Johnson returned to Penn State I believe, Tyler Warren I really like but I believe he is a true sophomore.  Then Zach Zuntz is another one, transferred out of Penn State a few years back to Old Dominion and should be a NFL player and drafted this year.  

Strange is a very solid looking athlete with good straight line speed just had some drop issues at times and seems a little thin, but he is interesting, plays a lot larger than 6-3, curious what his arm length is.  

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I've seen a lot of people starting to rank Kincaid over Mayer now.

Kincaid was Utah's biggest weapon, so I get it.  But I don't know if Kincaid can block, because I don't remember seeing him do it a lot.  But I'd prefer the TE who can do both, and both well, rather than a guy who's just a receiving weapon, though Kincaid probably is a better receiving weapon than Mayer.  Mayer is two years younger too.

Just depends on what you're after.  I've had it 1. Mayer, 2. Washington, 3. Kincaid for a while, and I don't think that order is changing until the combine.  I still do need to look at some other dudes though.