TE Talk

nicfre2011

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Kincaid was Utah's biggest weapon, so I get it.  But I don't know if Kincaid can block, because I don't remember seeing him do it a lot.  But I'd prefer the TE who can do both, and both well, rather than a guy who's just a receiving weapon, though Kincaid probably is a better receiving weapon than Mayer.  Mayer is two years younger too.

Just depends on what you're after.  I've had it 1. Mayer, 2. Washington, 3. Kincaid for a while, and I don't think that order is changing until the combine.  I still do need to look at some other dudes though.

Meh age means nothing with tight ends. Kittle and Kelce both turned 24 their rookie years in October the same month Kincaid will. Antonio Gates was a 23 year old rookie. I care about age at a lot of positions but this is not one. A lot of times those older guys are ready to contribute earlier.

10 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Meh age means nothing with tight ends. Kittle and Kelce both turned 24 their rookie years in October the same month Kincaid will. Antonio Gates was a 23 year old rookie. I care about age at a lot of positions but this is not one. A lot of times those older guys are ready to contribute earlier.

I'm not saying Kincaid is old.  I'm saying Mayer is young.  I.e. he could still be getting better.

50 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Good TEs can also play at a very high level until their mid-30s.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Lots of tools. Can stretch the seam. Has a great frame and although he hasn’t been asked to do it much, he could be an in-line blocker due to that size.

He reminds me of that Rice TE from several years ago—James Casey.

Was Casey used as an H-back/TE in the NFL?

Could Whyle be a "poor man's" Luke Musgrave....a prospect that could potentially be used in a similar way but be available outside of the first couple of rounds?

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Feel like his stock is heating up 

He’s a guy who I like as a more well rounded guy that can be in the slot or as a traditional TE because he’s a rock solid blocker too. I wish he was a little younger, and I’m not sure he’s a great athlete, but he’s savvy and has good hands. I get some Jason Witten vibes from him. Zone Buster, red zone threat, good safety valve, I don’t think he’s a RAC guy like others we’ve seen.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He’s a guy who I like as a more well rounded guy that can be in the slot or as a traditional TE because he’s a rock solid blocker too. I wish he was a little younger, and I’m not sure he’s a great athlete, but he’s savvy and has good hands. I get some Jason Witten vibes from him. Zone Buster, red zone threat, good safety valve, I don’t think he’s a RAC guy like others we’ve seen.

Payne Durham is my Witten from this class. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

He’s a guy who I like as a more well rounded guy that can be in the slot or as a traditional TE because he’s a rock solid blocker too.

I mean, he's puts everything into it but I'm not sure he's rock solid rn. From a write up I did.."routinely sticks his head in the hornets nest as a blocker despite getting stung again and again" It's like he relishes collisions whether he wins or not.

49 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Payne Durham is my Witten from this class. 

Durham is a weapon in red zone/goal line with his ball skills but he can't move. He'll be boxing out everywhere he goes.

25 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I mean, he's puts everything into it but I'm not sure he's rock solid rn. From a write up I did.."routinely sticks his head in the hornets nest as a blocker despite getting stung again and again" It's like he relishes collisions whether he wins or not.

Durham is a weapon in red zone/goal line with his ball skills but he can't move. He'll be boxing out everywhere he goes.

Reminds me of later in life Jason Witten. He is a very solid blocker & has enough juice to run away from LBs. He is too stiff to ever be a guy like Kittle/Kelce, but he can and will have success as a possession TE that blocks at a high level.