Conference Championship Round: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

Obviously we will be talking about the Cowboys game for another day or two but thought I'd fire this up with the match up set.

Will go in depth more later on but this is going to be a very tough game and another dog fight. Our run defense got back to form and that in turn got our defense back to playing like the best in the league. Will need to contain the Eagles run game and force Hurts to win in the pocket....which he certainly can. Ward vs Brown and Lenoir vs Smith...We have to win one of those match ups and hold up on the other. We allow a big deep pass every game and today was no different...But our defense was just so damn clutch when the Cowboys got past midfield. 

Offensively, we need to run the ball and wear the Eagles DL down. Lamb made a killing in the slot against Philly but they have their guys back now so it won't be easy but Kittle could have a pretty big game. He was THE guy for our offense until Mitchell started to wear down the Cowboys defense in the 4th quarter. 

Purdy will be playing on the road in a VERY tough environment. No one can really say how he will handle the pressure. I think he does well enough and our run game does better and we control the TOP from start to finish.

SF 27

PHI 20

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

We know how I feel about this. Prove me wrong, niners!

So negative @Forge lol, I'm also worried about this one, glad to be in the NFC Title game, let's see what happens, glad to beat the Cowboys though.

I will say, we're not the Giants, who got steamrolled yesterday, our defense & offense are top notch, so anything can happen.

• Like 1

Just now, 49erscap said:

So negative @Forge lol, I'm also worried about this one, glad to be in the NFC Title game, let's see what happens, glad to beat the Cowboys though.

I will say, we're not the Giants, who got steamrolled yesterday, our defense & offense are top notch, so anything can happen.

I'm definitely a little on the negative side just in general 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

We know how I feel about this. Prove me wrong, niners!

Ditto.

Solid defense with two very good CBs, good safeties and one of the best D-Lines in all of football.

Great O-Line with two very good WRs on the outside, a solid RB & a QB perfectly crafted to give our zone all kinds of fits.

AND we're on the road...

I'm just happy Purdy has been able to lead us this far.

Anything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Hoping to be surprised but not overly optimistic at this point.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Ditto.

Solid defense with two very good CBs, good safeties and one of the best D-Lines in all of football.

Great O-Line with two very good WRs on the outside, a solid RB & a QB perfectly crafted to give our zone all kinds of fits.

AND we're on the road...

I'm just happy Purdy has been able to lead us this far.

Anything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Hoping to be surprised but not overly optimistic at this point.

No disrespect, but I hate this mindset lol.

This is SB or bust for me. How many times are we going to this close and continue to fall short? Players like Ward may leave the team this offseason and our top weapons may not all be healthy at the same time again so we have to take advantage of this opportunity.

The Eagles are great....Legitimately good in all phases but so are we. Purdy on the road against that pass rush and atmosphere won't be easy but that's why our run game needs to be better from the get go....And that's certainly possible. 

• Like 6

No rookie QB has ever advanced past a conference title game. Flacco, King, Sanchez, Brock, Haden, and I think Roethlisberger is it. Purdy has a chance to change that. HOPEFULLY, the big boys up front on offense don't get manhandled against the Eagles like they did the Cowboys, and make it easier on Glock.

Defensively, I don't think on the road we'll see the 49ers defense stop another high profile offense like that again. I hate it whenever the 49ers have to play in that stadium. Just looks so tall and looming from the TV camera angles. Like Giants Stadium used to back when it was in use. Weird. 

Oh and this is random, but I pray the 49ers win the coin toss, and defer. 

Playing three games to get to the Super Bowl is such a grind. And that's just to GET there. Oof. Alas, it's been a fun season. From "Is Shanahan gonna get fired" once again to NFC title game once again. 

49ers 24 Eagles 21. Robbie saves us. Go Niners. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

No rookie QB has ever advanced past a conference title game. Flacco, King, Sanchez, Brock, Haden, and I think Roethlisberger is it. Purdy has a chance to change that. HOPEFULLY, the big boys up front on offense don't get manhandled against the Eagles like they did the Cowboys, and make it easier on Glock.

Some ugly numbers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is SB or bust for me. How many times are we going to this close and continue to fall short? Players like Ward may leave the team this offseason and our top weapons may not all be healthy at the same time again so we have to take advantage of this opportunity.

Hell yes. Trent and Kittle won't be here all that much longer, probably around the time CMC will really start to break down.. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking today may have been good for next week. Shanny could see what worked and what didn’t when there’s a ton of pass rush on Purdy. He did make some adjustments in the second half and the offense was better by in large. Sure the eagles get a little blue print as well, but I think Shannahan can game plan based off what happened today. 

• Like 4

Last time, well...the only time we played the Eagles in the playoffs. 1996 NFC Wild Card. Good memories. Detmer throwing two INTS near the goal line doomed the Eagles. 49ers shut down Ricky Watters in his return to Candlestick along with Coach Ray Rhodes, and it was just a mostly defensive victory at Mudpile Candlestick Park. Steve Young messed up his ribs though, and he basically couldn't play against the Packers the next week. 

• Like 3