Conference Championship Round: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, Forge said:

The point is the struggles against mobile QBs I'm pretty sure 

Yeah, I get that, but it also feels like cherry picking since he's been a part of victories over a number of those QBs as well. Also it isn't Nick Bosa vs the QB; Maybe this team struggles against mobile QBs, but Bosa vs the QBs seems like a very odd way to try and manipulate their point. 

• Like 1

This is going to be a very close game, similar to last nights. We have to be able to contain their Dline for Purdy to get our passing game and we have to get creative with our run game or at least change it up. I’ve seen the same, jumbo set with Juice in motion and then he sets up as a Fb run. We need to switch it up or alter small things with that setup for this upcoming game bc Philly will read it. Dline needs to get pressure and of course I can’t stress it enough, contain your rush lanes!!! If Hurd starts running, it’s going to be a rough outing. 

12 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, I get that, but it also feels like cherry picking since he's been a part of victories over a number of those QBs as well. Also it isn't Nick Bosa vs the QB; Maybe this team struggles against mobile QBs, but Bosa vs the QBs seems like a very odd way to try and manipulate their point. 

I could just be misinterpreting his post, but I don't know that who they win against is all that important. The niners can certainly win against anyone. But I think it's about who has the best shot at unseating the 49ers. we did beat Hurts just last year, so we can absolutely win. 

But defensively, if your QB can move, you probably have a better shot at getting through. 

Now, there is also maybe a funnier jab at Bosa that is being hinted at here, but maybe I'm just naive and choosing to believe that's not what it is about lol 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I could just be misinterpreting his post, but I don't know that who they win against is all that important. The niners can certainly win against anyone. But I think it's about who has the best shot at unseating the 49ers. we did beat Hurts just last year, so we can absolutely win. 

But defensively, if your QB can move, you probably have a better shot at getting through. 

Now, there is also maybe a funnier jab at Bosa that is being hinted at here, but may I'm just naive and choosing to believe that's not what it is about lol 

lol. Re-reading it, I'm pretty sure I misunderstood. That's the ONLY QBs he's lost to. I thought they were just putting in QBs that could move that he lost to, which is why Matt Ryan was confusing. 

Just the same, making this Bosa vs the QBs means nothing to me. This is a team sport, and while we definitely have the ability to be exposed by a mobile QB, so do the other 31 teams in the league. 

I think it's pretty simple formula for us to stamp our ticket to the Super Bowl; Establish the run game and win the turnover battle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean you can say it is a little delusional to think a rookie QB can come in and win 8 straight and not let the moment get to him in pressure situations. Nothing we have seen so far from Purdy is normal lol.

It's not about the ride being over, it is just eventually you have to take advantage of your opportunities or else you let them slip by. Is Burrow/Hurts/Mahomes/Allen/etc retiring anytime soon? No, so you will have to go through them next year or the following year...you get my point. Are the Eagles and the Bengals and Chiefs really really really good? Of course they are, but guess what? So are we. Just like last season when I said no team was going to out talent us, the same is true this year. The FO has put together a stacked roster that has everything it needs to get the job done. 

So you said players like Ward leave all the time? Sure, but there is no guarantee whoever we replace him will have his type of impact in the postseason or be as effective as him period. What if we end up downgrading in a few spots that get exposed next postseason? We have a top notch offense, defense and arguably a top 3 postseason kicker of all time in Gould. It's time to close the deal unlike the last five times we have reached the conference championship or SB. 

I get that this is a great opportunity. But this team can still be improved. We are stacked on both sides of the ball, but both our offense and defense have flaws. And I think the Iggles have the roster to magnify those flaws. I'm not wishing for us to lose. But I understand where we could improve if we fall short and be even better moving forward. 

Yes, I think we could be even better than we are now...crazy right??

Maybe it's just me but when this season started, I really had no aspirations of a SB run. This was supposed to be the year where Lance got his feet up under him, as he stacked games and experience. So, this improbable run is really a pleasant surprise for me.

Purdy will only get better going forward. Thus, the passing offense will only get better as he matures. So even though he isn't Allen nor Mahomes, if he can be our version of Burrow, we're cooking with hot grease going forward. And we'll have two more years at least to maximize his rookie wage scale.

We're going to lose players. It's inevitable. I didn't think we could field a better defense than the one we had in 2019. But this year's iteration is pretty darn good itself. W/o guys like DeFo, Dee Ford, DJ Jones, Kwon Alexander, Sherm, etc. we've still managed to field the best defense in the league.... again.

So, like I said good players come and go. I'm not too concerned that it prevents us from being able to field a top 5 unit consistently. 

And as long as the defense is still performing at a high level, with Shanny running the O, we'll still be in the mix more often than not. 

I'm not here to kill anybody's joy though. If you feel this is our best chance to get it done, so be it.

Edited by 757-NINER

There's probably a better place to put this but, I know the eyeballs will be here. 

Playoff Jimmy G vs. Playoff Purdy from rbdsm.com:

2019-2022 playoffs, minimum 50 QB plays, 25 total QBs in this query. 

EPA

• Purdy: 0.396 (1st)
  • Jimmy G: 0.030 (18th)

Completion% over Expectation

• Purdy: 4.7% (4th)
  • Jimmy G: -7.7% (23rd)

EPA+CPOE

• Purdy: 0.211 (1st)
  • Jimmy G: 0.013 (23rd)

Air Yards

• Purdy: 10.2 yards per target (4th)
  • Jimmy G: 6.8 y/t (20th)

I'm not trying to make this a Jimmy-hating post. I wanted to show how much more explosive and efficient our offense is this year with Purdy at the helm and how this could be the difference this post season as opposed to previous years. 

Now, Purdy has 84 less plays than Jimmy, which needs to be accounted for, but I think the trends we're seeing will still hold firm even if Purdy had the same amount of plays as Jimmy. 

The biggest thing for me with the numbers above is that Purdy is more aggressive but also takes care of the ball, too. We were not getting either of those things from playoff Jimmy.

Last night was a perfect example of this. The Cowboys defense came to bury the 49ers yesterday and they played like it for 4 quarters and Purdy didn't make a single mistake with the ball in his hands, unlike Dak. The ceiling was low for Purdy's game yesterday, but the floor was incredibly high, which is just as valuable in the playoffs.  

For fun, here is Purdy vs. all other QBs in the playoffs since 2019:

Gsc9t6D.jpg

• Like 3

The Philly RPO is very quick, and seems quite adept at eating away at team's alignments.  The defense needs to be simple, smart, and try not to do too much.

We just have to line up in away that takes away their first, second, and third option in the rpo.  Then also defend any conventional passing, running and playaction concepts.  After achieving that, we would need to keep Hurts from making something from nothing with his legs.  

I hope Ryans has a clear schedule this week.  He's got his work cut our for him.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

I think the 49ers can win this game if they can get the run game going and not give up big plays on defense.

Time of possession is going to be key for the 49ers. Commanders won by controlling the time of possession 40 mins to 19 mins. Saints won by controlling time of possession 37 mins to 22 mins.  Win with long drives. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

18% of purchased tickets are coming from CA. That's wild. 

I live about an hour and half away from Philly and really thought about going to this, but I'm not dropping a grand for this LOL. I just got a brand new 65" 4k for christmas, I'll enjoy it from my living room.

Not gonna lie, be shocked if a large portion of the 18%, wasn't actually Eagle fans in California ,making the trip as well. 

Guarantee you 1/5 of the stadium will not be Scarlet/Gold. Just saying. 🤷‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not gonna lie, be shocked if a large portion of the 18%, wasn't actually Eagle fans in California ,making the trip as well. 

Guarantee you 1/5 of the stadium will not be Scarlet/Gold. Just saying. 🤷‍♂️ 

college gameday sport GIF

The Faithful travel VERY well and have fans in every state. I don't see a Sea of Red like in Dallas last year in the Wild Card Round, but don't be shocked if you see more red that you would expect. 

• Like 7