Conference Championship Round: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

50 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

If the Eagles LB's are a weakness, does this become a Kittle/McCaffrey heavy game? 

I expect a big CMC game. They can be attacked to running backs through the air. 

They were good against tight ends, and I'm not so sure that we don't have to use kittle as an extra lineman

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

They were good against tight ends, and I'm not so sure that we don't have to use kittle as an extra lineman

Yeah I was looking at the Eagles run D DVOA week by week and they've had some trouble stopping the run over the last 3 weeks. I haven't dug into what specifically has given them fits, but it seems like there's an opportunity there. 

One this is for sure, Shanahan needs to call plays that get the ball out quick and be very choosy on when to take shots. I was very surprised we didn't run any screens out of the backfield against the Cowboys, but a few this week would be nice to see. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Probably use the 21 personnel often this game and have Juice go and chip Reddick like we did against Parsons for the most part. Shanny isn't taking Kittle out of the play to have him be used primarily to help in pass protection. He can still get off this game as well. Shanny will get CMC in motion often to dictate the coverage for the Eagles and we will attack the middle of the field with not as much play action boots. I'm expecting a lot of quick screens to Deebo and then get Kittle down the seam like we did against the Cowboys. Ray-Ray or Gray may get some time just to clear the safety for Aiyuk or Kittle. Shanny is going to have to call one of his best games and I think he expects a similar game to the Cowboys one and will not get discouraged of early struggles. Have to wear this DL down or force them to take some of their pass rushers out for run defense. 

When I watched game over on Sunday night, I wasn't actually too disappointed in the offense. Cowboys played mostly everything well and Quinn knew what was coming before it came. But Shanny didn't try to get too cute and was just trying to stick to the game plan and take over late with the running game...And that's what happened. Only thing I think he could have done a better job of was to get Aiyuk or Kittle on backers in the slot and attack the Cowboys defense that way. He started to do that in the 4th quarter but that is something we could have seen from the first quarter. Maybe that is the adjustment he makes for this week. 

• Like 3

Looking at our common opponents and does seem that in this regard the Niners do significantly better(4-1 with an average margin of victory of 13 points vs 4-2 with an average margin of victory of 0.9 points). We all want to forget the monsoon game but the Bears also nearly defeated the Eagles(Hurts got injured during that game but the game was still close when he was healthy), and similarly the Cardinals nearly defeated them despite us blowing them out both times. We also notably did not lose to the Commanders by 11 points at home.

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Looking at our common opponents and does seem that in this regard the Niners do significantly better(4-1 with an average margin of victory of 13 points vs 4-2 with an average margin of victory of 2.7 points). We all want to forget the monsoon game but the Bears also nearly defeated the Eagles(Hurts got injured during that game but the game was still close when he was healthy), and similarly the Cardinals nearly defeated them despite us blowing them out both times. We also notably did not lose to the Commanders by 11 points at home.

Meh, our team wasn't the same in week 1 as it is now and one of the Cowboys games featured Minshew instead of Hurts....Matter of fact, so did the Saints game.

Throw that common opponents stat out of here!!! Lol.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Meh, our team wasn't the same in week 1 as it is now and one of the Cowboys games featured Minshew instead of Hurts....Matter of fact, so did the Saints game.

Throw that common opponents stat out of here!!! Lol.

Even tossing those games out, the Eagles still lost to the Commanders and defeated the Cards by a much less convincing margin. A win is a win, and I don't think it means much, but interesting that they've struggled against teams that the Niners have had little trouble dispatching

Edited by jonnguy2015

10 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Even tossing those games out, the Eagles still lost to the Commanders and defeated the Cards by a much less convincing margin. A win is a win, and I don't think it means much, but interesting that they've struggled against teams that the Niners have had little trouble dispatching

True on the Commanders but they faced Murray while we faced McCoy and Blough lol.