Conference Championship Round: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

“The thing I learned about Kyle’s offense is you’ve got to be patient,” Williams said. “Because some play calls aren’t meant to score. They’re meant to test what (defenses) do versus certain plays — to see how hard they run on the back side, to see if they sit back when people are coming across the formation. Do they go with them? Do they let the down safety take them? You can’t go off the film because they haven’t played you yet. You don’t know what they’re going to do. So it’s one of those things where we just had to get a feel for how they see everything. And once we did that, we could get to the stuff that works.”

-Trent Williams 

So that partially explains why our 1st half offenses are almost always so slow lol

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

My stance on purdy is let's see how he does next year too. 

i'm not anointing anyone right now. 

My stance on Purdy is I only care about the next 8 quarters. Two more games until immortality. 

Let next year be next year. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

-Trent Williams 

So that partially explains why our 1st half offenses are almost always so slow lol

This has been said in the past. A lot of what Kyle does early is to diagnose defensive schemes. He is also a master of calling plays early with the idea that defenses will try and adjust, and he already has counters to those defensive adjustments built into the gameplan for the second half. So, he essentially forces your hand one way, and then he switches it up in a way that completely breaks your scheme. 

I just looked this up to make a point in NFL gen, the niners defense has given up 7 points or less in the second half of 13 out of 19 games played this year. That is astounding. What a special team. Hopefully we can pull this next game out. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Purdy vs Hurts Epic Duel: 678 Yards & 11 TDs Combined! (Iowa State vs. #9 Oklahoma 2019, November 9)

I hope our defense doesn't look helpless against Jalen Hurts like Iowa State's did. Oof. 

It's like watching a tale of two cities play out on the football field.   Purdy is like "Sir, may I have another blocker?"  Luckily this story is not a Dickens novel any more.

It's a redemption story, and Purdy now has some of the best players in the league around him.  I read a quote from the scout interview about Purdy on my phone, I have to paraphrase the quote.  "Purdy's a sawed off athlete.   Very short arms, small hands, slow shuttle, low vert, short, not a great 40 time,  ok accuracy and goes through his progressions well."    Earlier in the season when I said "scouts and teams draft a lot of guys for things guys don't do on most plays," this is what I was talking about

What about playing QB?  OK accuracy and good at going through progressions doesn't sound horrible.  Going through progressions is very important, whereas how long a dudes arms are while he is throwing, I suppose it matters to somebody for some reason?  Luckily for the team instead of running around doing dumb cone drills, he took the offseason and to re-work his mechanics, as he has been too busy playing consecutive years of football to truly look at mechanics in the offseason.  It worked, his spin is much better, he has more zip, and his arm is finally cashing the checks his reads are writing. 

I really want this ride to keep going.  I love this version of the 49ers.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

This is pretty interesting. I see Hurts shreds cover 1 and we typically show cover 1 a lot but then rotate into something, usually cover 3. 

I wonder if Demeco gives Hurts some cover 1 looks early to let Hurts think he'll see it more, then eventually rotate into cover 3 post-snap from the cover 1 look to confuse him.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is pretty interesting. I see Hurts shreds cover 1 and we typically show cover 1 a lot but then rotate into something, usually cover 3. 

I wonder if Demeco gives Hurts some cover 1 looks early to let Hurts think he'll see it more, then eventually rotate into cover 3 post-snap from the cover 1 look to confuse him.

Cover 1 is also man. Shredding it speaks to their weapons and to how dangerous it is to attempt to single them up / stop Hurts from scrambling without eyes on him. We man up in some 3rd down pressure packages, but hardly ever aside from that (not counting Cover 3 mabel and other Meg calls where there is one guy in single coverage on the isolated receiver and everyone else is playing zone).

• Like 2