Was paying Dak like a top 5 QB a mistake?

DaBoys

Dak Prescott posted his 2nd lowest rating of the season against the 49ers.

2nd only to his week 1 performance against Tampa Bay. 

In 2021 Dak was ranked by Next Gen Stats as the most inconsistent QB of the year. He had the highest highs and the lowest lows of any QB last year.

From what we saw last week vs. what we saw tonight I can’t script a more polar opposite performance.

206 passing yards. 2 interceptions. 63.6 passer rating. 51.5 QBR.

The argument that he has no help is negated by his contract.

Was it a mistake to sign Dak Prescott like he was a top five quarterback who could overcome an underfunded roster?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/overreactions-reality-checks-for-nfl-divisional-round-bengals-save-nfl-cowboys-move-on-from-dak-prescott/amp/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This offseason is gonna be so fun.

Dak’s performance against the 49ers was not his average, obviously. But that he plays very average football regularly and terrible football occasionally has been clear to anyone without an agenda for a long time, and we aren’t overly surprised by what we saw Sunday.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Dak’s performance against the 49ers was not his average, obviously. But that he plays very average football regularly and terrible football occasionally has been clear to anyone without an agenda for a long time, and we aren’t overly surprised by what we saw Sunday.

Like I said, your glee is palpable. Very happy for you homie. You got what you wanted. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

Yes, it was a mistake.  I’m not saying this from a position of hindsight either.  Eagles playing with QBs on rookie deal.  Cincy is playing with QB on rookie deal.  SF is playing with rookie 7th round draft pick.  Teams that don’t have to invest huge portions of the salary cap into a QB have a huge advantage.  Cincy was able to completely rebuild their OL, upgrade TE, etc.  Philly was able to add great WR and edge rusher, etc.  SF was able to add mccaffery.  

Some people will say Dak needs help.  Dak got all the help he’s going to get when he gets paid $50m next year.  The only help he’s getting will come from the draft and whoever will play for close to league minimum.

i had this same discussion with Matts before Dak signed the stupid contract but the era of needing a high priced QB to win in the NFL is over.  Now, it’s all about teams with QBs on rookie deals or QBs who will make teams friendly deals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Like I said, your glee is palpable. Very happy for you homie. You got what you wanted. 

Just curious… how can you say Dak skeptics got what they want when we are stuck with him for 2 more years and will still be paying off his contract 3 years from now.  It’s not like he retired or got traded.

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

You seriously started another thread on this subject? LMAO.

IDK… if he would have pulled up the thread from 2 years ago when Dak got signed, some might have considered it trolling.  There are a lot of people who would look pretty foolish 2 years later.

But… the book isn’t over.  Dak still has 2 years to write their happy ending.  Or, maybe, just maybe, with that $102 million he’ll be getting paid over the next 2 years, the least he could do is buy the entire fan base a happy ending.

• Like 2

I'll say yes, but I'm a bit more flexible on that.  I actually do think you guys can compete with Dak, but that will require a couple of things that tend to be low-probability when a QB is already on a fat contract.  Dak has clear limitations, but some of those limitations aren't permanent and aren't things he's not capable of moving past, particularly with scheme - but that takes self-realization and self-actualization on his part (which, in my limited assessment of Dak as a person, I would say he's not averse to), and then it takes the same from the coaching staff... and that, I'm not sure, is going to happen.  Some of this will clearly come, or present itself, as certain parts of the OL mature and develop, but I wonder if Dak hasn't his hit ceiling with Kellen as a coordinator.

Simultaneously, at minimum for the remainder of Parsons' rookie contract, plus-arguably 1-2 years of contract-mechanics-delay, you're going to have a defense that - assuming certain pieces can either keep from getting injured or have sufficient depth behind them to prevent drop-off (looking at LVE and Diggs, mainly), you're going to have the kind of defense that you can scheme an offense opposite to put that defense in the position to win you games and - in effect - to compensate for some of Dak's limitations.

Even if I expect the Rams to rebound some (not nearly to quite the level some Rams fans do, but to being able to make qualify for the playoffs next year and then it's anyone's shot), the NFC is still not great and relatively top-heavy for the time being.

• Like 1

Dak is an ok QB that can help you win games. He has fantastic games but too inconsistent.

The one thing he was good at was not turning the ball over and that ship sailed this year. You also had a decent running threat with him but since his injury, he is more reluctant.

I don't think paying his was the problem, it's how much we are paying him.

Had it been closer to $30 million a year, I wouldn't have as much of an issue.

11 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Just curious… how can you say Dak skeptics got what they want when we are stuck with him for 2 more years and will still be paying off his contract 3 years from now.  It’s not like he retired or got traded.

Funny how when you criticize poor play, you are considered a hater or are jubilant when the team loses.  It's down right moronic, but it's what some do to rationalize a performance that was seen last night.

• Like 2