Was paying Dak like a top 5 QB a mistake?

DaBoys

On 1/27/2023 at 6:44 AM, chumpy said:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35530879

Perfect take by Bart Scott.  This is exactly how I feel about Dak.

He isn’t saying anything that many of us haven’t said for a number of years now. Dak isn’t talented enough to elevate the players around him and make them better. Rather, he is dependent on them elevating him. That’s why you don’t pay a guy like him big money. Ever.

• Like 2

From MMs end of season presser:

“As long as I've been doing this, you're always working to improve the quarterback," McCarthy said. "... One of the big emphasis this year was games of 70% completion. We improved in that area just briefly looking at that. Turnovers are obviously a huge negative area. I think this will all be part of how we look at our offense.

"We're not just going to change the date on how we do things in 2023 - I promise you that."

Dak is the QB for a while.  That is not changing.  Change is coming to the play calling.  Some very random thoughts here. Let's hope Gallup bounces back and Dallas finds a consistent running game.  Roll Dak out some more.  Utilize his athleticism. This will help Dak and the offense.  I hate having these discussions at this time of year instead of anticipating an upcoming playoff game.  I am however used to it.

1 minute ago, Northland said:

Dak is the QB for a while.  That is not changing.  Change is coming to the play calling.  Some very random thoughts here. Let's hope Gallup bounces back and Dallas finds a consistent running game.  Roll Dak out some more.  Utilize his athleticism. This will help Dak and the offense.  I hate having these discussions at this time of year instead of anticipating an upcoming playoff game.  I am however used to it.

Here are a few more:

Stop having him throw nothing but curl routes on third down.

Stop using long developing pass plays down field which forces him to misread coverages.

Start throwing more short crossing routes and slants.

Force him to learn to diagnose coverages at the LOS like the other top QBs do.

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Here are a few more:

Stop using long developing pass plays down field which forces him to misread coverages.

How many opponents said or implied Dallas' offense was talented but predictable?  Mix it up but still find and commit to a dominant running game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Here are a few more:

May e these are reasons why KM is no longer here.

• Like 2

So let’s get this straight: Dak can’t diagnose coverages (lol this is based on nothing), lacks arm talent, is impulsive, can’t handle pressure, is inaccurate, needs elite talent around him and yet we admit he does not have that talent around him. And despite all of this he has had elite production, led his offense to 30+ ppg (in back to back seasons) with some of the better drive sustaining offense in the league.

These discussions remain over emotional because people are upset that their team fell short. Dak hasn’t been the franchise QB since 2016 because he’s terrible. You guys just generalize every little thing to fit your agenda even when it’s not actually represented in the total body of work. Dak has had good and bad play at QB just like any other QB really… but you choose to focus solely on the bad for the sake of an agenda. His overall body of work showcases him as a good QB at the position. Hope he gets an extension and we can spread out the cap hit a bit. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

On 1/27/2023 at 8:44 AM, chumpy said:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35530879

Perfect take by Bart Scott.  This is exactly how I feel about Dak.

Bart Scott is also the man who said Tee Higgins is to blame for what happened to Damar Hamlin. The guy is a moron who likes to stir the pot for the sake of being relevant. 
We need to be able to have our own objective analysis instead of gobbling up hot takes for the sake of entertainment. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

42 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

So let’s get this straight: Dak can’t diagnose coverages (lol this is based on nothing), lacks arm talent, is impulsive, can’t handle pressure, is inaccurate, needs elite talent around him and yet we admit he does not have that talent around him. And despite all of this he has had elite production, led his offense to 30+ ppg (in back to back seasons) with some of the better drive sustaining offense in the league.

These discussions remain over emotional because people are upset that their team fell short. Dak hasn’t been the franchise QB since 2016 because he’s terrible. You guys just generalize every little thing to fit your agenda even when it’s not actually represented in the total body of work. Dak has had good and bad play at QB just like any other QB really… but you choose to focus solely on the bad for the sake of an agenda. His overall body of work showcases him as a good QB at the position. Hope he gets an extension and we can spread out the cap hit a bit. 

No, “we” do not admit that he doesn’t have talent around him. Dak has plenty of talent around him. HE just isn’t talented enough to do anything substantive with it. Big difference.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

No, “we” do not admit that he doesn’t have talent around him. Dak has plenty of talent around him. HE just isn’t talented enough to do anything substantive with it. Big difference.

Are you not part of the group that has the idea that his contract is preventing the team from adding pieces around him when he needs those pieces to succeed? Swear I've seen you on that train of thought, but it's whatever. 

Discussing the talent around Dak... who do you really see? CeeDee Lamb? Tony Pollard adding some explosives from the backfield and occasionally in the short passing game? I mean his 2nd best receiver all season was Noah Brown because Gallup just wasn't ready to come back this season coming off the ACL injury. The team didn't go out and sign the ghost of TY Hilton off of his couch because Dak had good, solid targets to throw to. They didn't entertain the talk of signing an injured, still recovering, out of practice OBJ because their talent on offense was overflowing. Clearly they were lacking in that regard. 

The ascension of Lamb was great to see this season... but this team needs more help. It's too contingent on Dak just making things happen regardless of who is out there and what is happening... which frankly turnovers aside this season he had been good at.. leading the team to 3O+ ppg and even shredding an elite Philly defense. Gotta think it's going to be a priority to go after some weapons early on in the draft (along with some DBs on defense?).

Edited by NoFlyZone

35 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Are you not part of the group that has the idea that his contract is preventing the team from adding pieces around him when he needs those pieces to succeed? Swear I've seen you on that train of thought, but it's whatever. 

Discussing the talent around Dak... who do you really see? CeeDee Lamb? Tony Pollard adding some explosives from the backfield and occasionally in the short passing game? I mean his 2nd best receiver all season was Noah Brown because Gallup just wasn't ready to come back this season coming off the ACL injury. The team didn't go out and sign the ghost of TY Hilton off of his couch because Dak had good, solid targets to throw to. They didn't entertain the talk of signing an injured, still recovering, out of practice OBJ because their talent on offense was overflowing. Clearly they were lacking in that regard. 

The ascension of Lamb was great to see this season... but this team needs more help. It's too contingent on Dak just making things happen regardless of who is out there and what is happening... which frankly turnovers aside this season he had been good at.. leading the team to 3O+ ppg and even shredding an elite Philly defense. Gotta think it's going to be a priority to go after some weapons early on in the draft (along with some DBs on defense?).

Nice try to use revisionist history to “prove” your point. Yes, Quincy’s contract caused us to lose Amari Cooper, but we still have multiple Pro Bowlers at O-line, TE, and a budding superstar RB in addition to Lamb. That’s more than enough to be successful with, if we had a QB capable of elevating the team.

Which we don’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFlyZone said:

Here's the thing. Both can be true. Right now, we need another year for Gallup to come back given it takes usually 18 months before players return and perform well after ACL surgery. We do need more help now and Daks contract prevents it.

What about last year? When Dak had Amari and Gallup and Lamb and Schultz and he still laid an egg against SF. Did he not have talent then?

Dak is ok but paid as a top 8 QB which he is not.

If he couldn't get it done with all those pieces, don't expect him to do it with less.

• Like 2