The Obvious: Leslie Frazier Needs to Go - Who replaces him?

Nick

Partially using this thread to vent and cope with yesterdays embarrassment while I fail to focus on my work today.

Our defensive philosophy the past few seasons has been this pathetic nickel package 100% of the snaps with a soft "bend, don't break" pathetic zone scheme.

Between yesterday, and 13 seconds from a year ago, it's clearly not working and the right adjustments aren't being made. 

Thought we channel our rage into a discussion over some potential replacements at DC. Given that we have been in a stable position at HC, I haven't been keeping up with who is up-and-coming or potential good fits at DC (and even OC). I've seen Vic Fangio's name thrown out on twitter. Anyone else in mind for you guys? 

Unfortunately, I'm not confident McDermott will have the balls to replace him. 

Big question is are we changing coordinators but sticking with the same scheme (4-3 in principal) or moving to a 3-4? I don't think we have the bodies for the latter. So for me Fangio and Flores would be a no go.

I would assume if Frazier goes it is an internal hire like Bobby Babich who got the most out of the safeties and than Edmunds and Milano this year as LB coach, or John Butler. 

Dorsey needs to go to. Zero creativity and the offense regressed as the year went along and not just because of Allens elbow. Give me Frank Reich, Marcus Brady or if we're going for a proven position coach then Keenan McCardell or someone

38 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I will actually be shocked of McDermott fires his right hand man. 

At worst they need to let go of Eric Washington. 

Sadly, I think that's the reality. It's a decision that's going to need to be pushed by Pegula or Beane.

McDermott needs to face some criticism on all this as well–especially if he keeps Frazier around again. He's one of the few defensive minded head coaches and his defense has been a huge failure the past couple seasons in big games. Not to mention he's good for one bone-headed, infuriating time out call a game because he doesn't like what he sees schematically. The offense always ends up getting the first down anyways. He's been a great leader, but it's time to make the difficult decisions that leaders have to make. Say goodbye to your friend Leslie, start here and prove that this **** can't keep happening.

Where’s the development been for this DL? The only guy who really improved this year was Groot. The rest were mediocre. Our most explosive pass rusher is 34 years old and just tore his ACL. I feel like McDermott is too worried about size and length at edge. We don’t really have any explosive twitchy pass rushers. It would be nice to add some speed to our pass rush instead of just slow contain rushers. Especially since this defense is conservative. We have to get pressure with the front 4 more consistently.

5 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I see zero turnover on the coaching staff tbh. Hopefully the Panthers just choose Dorsey to be their HC. That would be ideal.

The constant shoving downfield is just egregious. 

This offense has never been good at YAC. We rarely run screens or get people 1 on 1 in space. Very few easy throws and YAC for Josh. All of our explosive plays have to be on Josh hitting someone deep. Bengals offense feasted on YAC all season which takes a ton of pressure off of Burrow. The offense needs to start making things easier for Josh or we will continue to underachieve.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

This offense has never been good at YAC. We rarely run screens or get people 1 on 1 in space. Very few easy throws and YAC for Josh. All of our explosive plays have to be on Josh hitting someone deep. Bengals offense feasted on YAC all season which takes a ton of pressure off of Burrow. The offense needs to start making things easier for Josh or we will continue to underachieve.

Adding to this, the Bills never really had an answer for the blitz other than chucking it deep. Rarely did we see RB leak out. I know Allen wants to push the ball down field, but we still need to create the option to safely check it down to guys like Cook and Hines.

26 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Me too if that is what it takes.

McD speaks at 4 today so we may get an idea. But I am half expecting Sean to say something like "I fully expect Leslie to be here next season"

"Look, it's a situation that we'll evaluate in the next couple days, we'd like to have him back." ... that's my guess

Of course we'll be getting a politically-correct BS nothing for an answer. Getting real sick of it, tbh. I've been ignoring his quotes and press conferences the past two seasons. One of the reasons why I like Mike McDaniel. What is there to hide anyways?

6th best in total yards allowed per game, 5th best in rush yards allowed per game and 2nd best in points allowed per game.

Spoiled much?  The D had injuries obviously, some major ones, both starting corners out a lot this year, best pass rusher missed basically the end of the season and their best starting safety was hurt then his backup was injured and out as well.  Big shocker they struggled?

Fire Leslie, many teams would gladly take him if he is not potentially a head coach somewhere else.  

57 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

6th best in total yards allowed per game, 5th best in rush yards allowed per game and 2nd best in points allowed per game.

Spoiled much?  The D had injuries obviously, some major ones, both starting corners out a lot this year, best pass rusher missed basically the end of the season and their best starting safety was hurt then his backup was injured and out as well.  Big shocker they struggled?

Fire Leslie, many teams would gladly take him if he is not potentially a head coach somewhere else.  

Ok

5 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Ok

You honestly blame Frazier for that loss?  With all those injuries on D?  

If anything it should be the OC and their inability to commit to the run game or have any even inkling of a physical force on offense outside of the QB.  Someone who can break tackles after the catch and get yards after contact?  No one arguably outside of Josh Allen on the entire offense can do that consistently.  Would be nice if they had a physical force in the run game to take pressure off the QB, that they do not have.  

Not to mention Josh Allen mentally was off this year, he got really down on himself a lot and had a sheepish look on his face after he made turnovers and put a lot of blame on himself for that.  Had good stats sure but needs to get some mental strength this offseason and see a sports psychologists a bit more because his body language at times was awful.  

Either way they need a run game and the Bengals won because they did not have so many injuries on D, and two because they had a run game and the Bills did not.