2023 Bills Offseason Discussion

Nick

21 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Yea but wed be upgrading two positions at once imo. McGlinchey would be a nice get

Yea but would Dawkins be okay with moving inside thats the other thing these guys may not want to knowing that when a new contract comes up he will be viewed as a guard compared to a LT which can be a big money difference. Dont hate the idea if all sides are good with it. I just dont know if Beane will be making much splash this offseason as much as we need to. 

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yea but would Dawkins be okay with moving inside thats the other thing these guys may not want to knowing that when a new contract comes up he will be viewed as a guard compared to a LT which can be a big money difference. Dont hate the idea if all sides are good with it. I just dont know if Beane will be making much splash this offseason as much as we need to. 

I think Dawkins would do it, but I don't think the Bills see a clear upgrade at LT available to them either in free agency or in the draft (where they are currently picking at least).

No surprise but a report is out that the Bills won't be able to bring back either Edmunds or Poyer. 

With a defensive minded HC I am good with that. He should be able to get more out of mid free agents or draft picks. Josh Allen is the franchise, most of the funds should be going towards supporting him and the offense as a whole.

13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

No surprise but a report is out that the Bills won't be able to bring back either Edmunds or Poyer. 

With a defensive minded HC I am good with that. He should be able to get more out of mid free agents or draft picks. Josh Allen is the franchise, most of the funds should be going towards supporting him and the offense as a whole.

Expected, after looking at the big picture, I'm ok with this. 

Hyde returning to the secondary, I think we most definitely draft a S. Edmunds stings abit however hes not irreplaceable. Still have Milano at LB, gonna need an addition 

Keeps out of salary cap hell and allows us to be in on Derrick Henry or a RB. Gives us flexibility to fix the OL

I like the shakeup 

20 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Do you think it would be difficult to move Boogie Basham to 3T spot? Hes been fairly disappointing on the outside but is big enough to be interior guy

They probably could for obvious passing downs but I think he'd get swallowed up in the run game if he was there permanently. I unfortunately think he's a tweener that won't ever blossom into much. Same as Epenesa. They can't seem to figure out what weight they want him at. Round 2 has not been Beanes strong point in his tenure

2018: No Picks
2019: Cody Ford - Bust
2020: AJ Epenesa - 3rd rotational DE at best
2021: Boogie Basham - Bust so far
2022: James Cook - remains to be seen but likely not a true lead back. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

They probably could for obvious passing downs but I think he'd get swallowed up in the run game if he was there permanently. I unfortunately think he's a tweener that won't ever blossom into much. Same as Epenesa. They can't seem to figure out what weight they want him at. Round 2 has not been Beanes strong point in his tenure

2018: No Picks
2019: Cody Ford - Bust
2020: AJ Epenesa - 3rd rotational DE at best
2021: Boogie Basham - Bust so far
2022: James Cook - remains to be seen but likely not a true lead back. 

With how much McD rotates dline why not throw him in on obvious passing downs and then have a new guy on a cheaper price rotate in for the more running downs? That way they can move on from Oliver with his price tag at 10.7 mil and his latest social media comment of "show me the money" level comment he will be seeking an extension which I doubt is the smart move considering he hasnt been that dominant in the first 4 years. Being able to get an extra pick or player for him clearing that space then revamping that position can help out the cap space.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Jets releasing Braxton Berrios

Vikings releasing Adam Theilan

Would take either or both over McKenzie. 

Im all for Thielan for the right price, as he is 33 years old. Berrios is meh to me and nothing special. Mckenzie should be gone no matter what happens its 2.2 mil cap space at this point shakir can take his spot and they can upgrade with another wr in free agency.

38 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

With how much McD rotates dline why not throw him in on obvious passing downs and then have a new guy on a cheaper price rotate in for the more running downs? That way they can move on from Oliver with his price tag at 10.7 mil and his latest social media comment of "show me the money" level comment he will be seeking an extension which I doubt is the smart move considering he hasnt been that dominant in the first 4 years. Being able to get an extra pick or player for him clearing that space then revamping that position can help out the cap space.

I'm fine with getting rid of Oliver but I doubt we'd get more than a 3rd for him. It clears cap space for sure but also creates a major hole on the DL. Unless the staff feels Tim Settle can start assuming he stays healthy. 

12 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I'm fine with getting rid of Oliver but I doubt we'd get more than a 3rd for him. It clears cap space for sure but also creates a major hole on the DL. Unless the staff feels Tim Settle can start assuming he stays healthy. 

Im the minority here but I rather have a hole on the dline and get the offense fixed in which they have upgraded oline and wr group. I think a 2 or 3rd this year and a future pick can be had for him dependent on playing time and if he re-signs with that team. The bills def while not 100% against Cincy still got worked, and that dline was non existent against 3 back up olineman. So is it really a major hole when the competition's backups your going against are manhandling you? Only way bills are going to compete with KC/Cincy is building that offense up by giving Allen better oline, and not relying on him to do everything. 

11 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im the minority here but I rather have a hole on the dline and get the offense fixed in which they have upgraded oline and wr group. I think a 2 or 3rd this year and a future pick can be had for him dependent on playing time and if he re-signs with that team. The bills def while not 100% against Cincy still got worked, and that dline was non existent against 3 back up olineman. So is it really a major hole when the competition's backups your going against are manhandling you? Only way bills are going to compete with KC/Cincy is building that offense up by giving Allen better oline, and not relying on him to do everything. 

I don't think you're in the minority of wanting to fix the offense over the defense. But it doesn't have to be one or the other either. The Bills can clear cap space to add OL and WR without having to move Oliver. I'm fine if they go that route but then were likely spending a top 4 pick on DT. 

I also think it's important not to over react to one game. This time last year we all said the only way to beat KC is with a better defense. Now it's about scoring more. The answer is, it's both. The Bills need to protect Allen better and give him at least one more weapon. The defense needs to get after the QB more consistently. Having Von back should help, but they need at least one of Rousseau, Oliver or a draft pick to really make a difference this year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I don't think you're in the minority of wanting to fix the offense over the defense. But it doesn't have to be one or the other either. The Bills can clear cap space to add OL and WR without having to move Oliver. I'm fine if they go that route but then were likely spending a top 4 pick on DT. 

I also think it's important not to over react to one game. This time last year we all said the only way to beat KC is with a better defense. Now it's about scoring more. The answer is, it's both. The Bills need to protect Allen better and give him at least one more weapon. The defense needs to get after the QB more consistently. Having Von back should help, but they need at least one of Rousseau, Oliver or a draft pick to really make a difference this year. 

Yea its not one game though its the last 3 playoff appearances that ended the Bills playoff runs but I can throw in the fact that Miami with a 3rd string qb kept them in it the week before in wild card. Then you got games like Colts 2 years ago as well putting up a ton of yards. All key losses averaged 32 points this is against the top offensive power teams bills will continue to face each year whether it is Kc or Cincy in the playoffs. So for me putting all this money and high draft picks for defense to continue to flop is annoying which is why its time to pivot and focus solely on offense and force McD to do his thing on def finding gems to improve then wasting money and high picks on them. Bills are at the standard of winning the division they have proven that, then come playoff time the d stalls to a high powered offense. So how many more years does beane/mcd have to spend resources on defense to realize that this is not the direction to go in and to start focusing on improving off to compete with these guys. Eagles and Kc were in the superbowl partly because of them both having top 5 oline in the league. 

Oline hasnt been drafted 1st rd since wood, then you got the diggs trade as a 1st but no other weapon have been taken since Sammy Watkins. Beane got it going by bringing in guys like Beasley, Brown, then the following year diggs but didnt do much else to bring in higher end guys to protect allen or give him youth. Spending day 3 picks on wrs and then mid rd picks on oline just didnt seem like the smart move to make.

Going back to Oliver specifically do you honestly think he is worth 10.7 mil? Hole or not is he worth the 10. 7 mil? Why keep Oliver for one more year when bills have already seen what he has to show in 4 years when you can take a trade for a 2/3 rd pick to replace oliver with the pick take a DT and a cheaper option on the FA market while using the remaining money and go out land a top olineman at the LG, RG, or RT position I am all for that? I know they play different positions but look at Harrison Phillips do you think that Oliver has had a bigger impact as a defensive tackle then Harrison Phillips did while in Buffalo? There isnt a massive drop off between the two, outside of Phillips injury he was playing fairly well and that was a 3rd rd pick. Say oliver has a year like this past one what do the bills do then pay him or let him go for nothing like they are doing with edmunds and poyer? If he blows up then yea good for bills sticking it out for the 5th year but they will now be priced out next offseason and again get nothing out of it at that time.