Giants Offseason Talk

Acgott

A huge offseason for the Giants as they overachieved this past season despite being strangled by their cap space. Scheon did all he could to not move money into this season.

Giants currently have the 3rd most cap space at $54.2M. 
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

They have the 12th most value for their draft picks with 4 picks in the top 100. https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

The biggest decision is what do the Giants do at Quarterback and their best offensive player in Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley being free agents

List of Free Agents:

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/new-york-giants

• Like 2

Seems more sensible to tag Barkley for 10M rather then Jones for 32+ and sign Jones to one of those bridge deals maybe in the 25-30 million range. That might just leave enough to lock up Dexy and either bring in a stud LB, CB, or WR in FA. Rest would have to be had through the draft. Try and take care of Barkley next year. I'll be honest though my knowledge of the cap is limited to my Madden experience. Let me tell you though.. I can work some nice deals

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Seems more sensible to tag Barkley for 10M rather then Jones for 32+ and sign Jones to one of those bridge deals maybe in the 25-30 million range. That might just leave enough to lock up Dexy and either bring in a stud LB, CB, or WR in FA. Rest would have to be had through the draft. Try and take care of Barkley next year. I'll be honest though my knowledge of the cap is limited to my Madden experience. Let me tell you though.. I can work some nice deals

In a perfect world, I’m sure that be ideal, but contracts are never ideal. I think Barkley will be simpler to sign to a more reasonable deal than Jones. It be a risk to not have the tag available for Jones if we can’t get a deal by the deadline.

As well as Barkley has played I just can't see paying any running back the kind of money that Dallas dished out to Zeke.  I hope that we find a way to sign him but I'd rather invest the money into receivers, offensive line and our defense.

My thoughts on getting a deal worked out with Daniel hasn't changed.  Lock him up long term I've seen enough to believe he's our franchise QB.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

As well as Barkley has played I just can't see paying any running back the kind of money that Dallas dished out to Zeke.  I hope that we find a way to sign him but I'd rather invest the money into receivers, offensive line and our defense.

My thoughts on getting a deal worked out with Daniel hasn't changed.  Lock him up long term I've seen enough to believe he's our franchise QB.

Zeke signed a 6 year $90M, that’s just insane. Barkley mentioned his injury situation would hurt him as well. I think we are looking around $13.7M/year. Hopefully we can keep it to 3 years.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Zeke signed a 6 year $90M, that’s just insane. Barkley mentioned his injury situation would hurt him as well. I think we are looking around $13.7M/year. Hopefully we can keep it to 3 years.

That's what I'm saying.  Hell I think 13 million is too much, but after cutting Kenny we could easily afford his salary if it's in the range.  I'd hate to see him go but damn, I'm cheap...haha.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

That's what I'm saying.  Hell I think 13 million is too much, but after cutting Kenny we could easily afford his salary if it's in the range.  I'd hate to see him go but damn, I'm cheap...haha.  

It’s a weak WR market and Barkley is still a skilled player. I don’t like it either, but he’s too good for a team with no talent.

• Like 1

The Commanders have more talent on offense than the Giants, have more talent on defense than the Giants. Player wise what we have that they didn't have last season is a QB. I don't want us letting Daniel Jones go for us to be the Commanders. 

If I am the Giants I am not attempting to resign Slayton, and it seems like Love is not going to take a team friendly deal, so I have no problems letting Love got to another team.  A team can only invest so much into the safety position, to me Love is a JAG(just another guy), Xavier is the special safety that we will need to invest in down the road. 

Barkley for me is the tough call, running back is the easiest position to replace we can find a starting caliber running back in the 3rd and 4th rounds and that running back will be much cheaper that Barkley. 

While the cap is 54.3 million, cutting Golladay will save us some money and we will most likely be doing something with Leonard Williams contract which should free up some more money. 

The biggest question for me is the rookies, can some of them step up and take on important roles.  Can Ezeudu work on his technique and be a starting guard. Can Flott add much needed weight/muscle and be our #2 or Slot corner. Can Belton be our starting Safety if we let Love go in free agency, can Beavers be one of our starting inside linebackers.     

Edited by Go_Giants

"We're happy Daniel is going to be here. We're happy he's going to be here," Schoen said. "Hopefully we can get something done with his representatives. That would be the goal to build a team around him where he could lead us to win a Super Bowl."

"I don't know if there was necessarily an ah-ha moment or anything like that," Schoen said. "We've just been continually evaluating throughout the season and what the coaches asked him to do. He's executing the game plans. ... I don't know the exact date or time where we're like Daniel's our guy, but we're pleased with how he's played this season."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35511654/giants-gm-joe-schoen-wants-expects-qb-daniel-jones-return

No doubt at this point. Daboll and Schoen are all in on him. Just comes down to the numbers now.

9 hours ago, Acgott said:

It’s a weak WR market and Barkley is still a skilled player. I don’t like it either, but he’s too good for a team with no talent.

yeah I've looked at the market, and you're right not any big names that stick out.  That said, I'd like to see Hodgins resigned and even the other guys while we're at it as most if not all would be cheap pickups, Erfa type money.  I'd have to see the stats on the players in the market, which is telling on the "big names" not being there.  

I'm not saying not to retain Barkley, I'd be saying this about any running back in the league.  Not hard finding talent at running back these days, but knowing what we have in Barkley is nice and if we don't break the bank on him, meaning Zeke money, then I say go for it.  The market for running backs is loaded with recognizable names  

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Anyone know what the receiver class looks like in this years draft?

Hey been a while buddy? But it’s draft season and I’ve been summoned.

This year’s WR is loaded at the top with guys who could end up being core pieces of a teams offense. 

The guy who fits us the most however (in what Daboll wants out of his WRs) is Jordan Addison. Dude flat out doesn’t drop the ball. Oh. And all he does is get open, anywhere. Would be the perfect piece for Jones. 

another WR who I’m super intrigued by and wouldn’t be against giving up a ton of asests for if he fell out of the top 10 is Quentin Johnson. Dude is flat out unguardable. If Max “I can’t throw a ball 7 yards without it looking like your little brother threw it” Duggan wasn’t his QB we’d be talking about a potential top 5 guy (he still might make which is crazy). He’s got all the tools to be dominant. A special athlete. Smart route runner (knows how to shift weight properly and doesn’t lose speed through cuts, main thing I look for if a guy can run routes at the NFL level or not), he’s big, strong, fast, quick, doesn’t drop the ball. He could be our Julio Jones. 

Back in the realm of possibility, Rashee Rice is probably the guy most likely to be in the 20s. And if he didn’t go to SMU, he’d be a top 15 pick this year. My #2 receiver for us cause of his blend of size athleticism and hands. He can get open with relative ease and even when he’s not open. He’s open. Prolly the most physical receiver in this class isn’t afraid to get after it anywhere and when he doesn’t run through you he’s got the shiftiness yo just go around you. 

After those 3 guys, 

There’s Toney’s improved clone. I’m a Zay Flowers fan. He Is super dangerous with the ball in his hands. Not a big dude and doesn’t play particularly big either but boy can he be exciting. 

Then there’s some interesting 2nd-3rd round guys that can really fill out a receiving core. Xavier Hutchinson, can turn into a dominate player if he figures out how not to drop the ball. Like literally does everything at a high level, but the most fundamental part of the position. Puka Nacua is a fun prospect who is a contested catch monster. He can really beat up on smaller corners. It’s a good thing he’s good in contested catches and doesn’t drop the ball cause boy does he have trouble getting open. He’s def got the juice cause after the catch or in the run game he can make defenders look silly. Reminds of me of Brandon Marshall; he’s not a good route runner yet but he’s got the requisite skills to be good in that regard. 

After those guys, I don’t have to much info. 

If I had to rank them:

1. Quentin Johnson, TCU - Top 5

2. Jordan Addison, USC - Top 15

3. Rashee Rice, SMU - Top 25

4. Zay Flowers, Boston College - Top 50

5. Jaxson Nigba-Smith, Ohio St. - Top 50 

6. Xavier Hutchinson, Iowa St. - Top 50

7. Puka Nacua, BYU - Top 50

8. Josh Downs, North Carolina- Top 75

9. Ronnie Bell, Michigan - Top 75

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 2

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but to me, it seems they want to be able to play hardball with Saquon. Basically, "take the $12mil per year or we'll just franchise you". But they can't do that until DJ is locked up because they WILL use the tag on DJ if needed.

I think Love is gone and once I started thinking about it, that's the smart move. Love has been a really nice piece, a successful draft pick and an intelligent player that knows where to be when but he's not a difference maker. You can plug and play any middle of the road guy as your second safety if you have McKinney back there. Every single other FA hits the open market and they see what they can garner. Some will be back, others won't but they're not getting locked up before FA. 

There are some really good off ball LBs available in free agency this offseason. Tremaine Edmunds, TJ Edwards, and Germaine Pratt are all available.

EDIT: Jeez, so are Lavonte David, David Long, and Bobby Okereke. If we don't come away with at least one of those guys, it will be a failure.

Edited by minutemancl